Hip pain from carpet cleaning?

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
I have been working quite a bit lately , my business is going pretty well. But I have had hip and lower back pain for a few months now. Mostly in the mornings when I first get up or when I try to get up from the sofa after a long day. While I'm working I'm usually feeling OK. Today I found this lump on my right hip bone. About 3" long and 1" wide. I just noticed it, don't know how long it has been there. My right hip joint has been giving me some problems especially in the last month. Bursitis or maybe I need a new hip or worse . It's scaring me a little. I'm 61 that's when stuff starts going wrong. But I'm not fat and I live a healthy life style.I ski in the winter and ride my bicycle in the summer. I do a whole stretch routine every morning and that helps a lot.
So I'm wondering if this is job related. Maybe it has something to do with my wand technique. I might have to switch over to the left. I tried that a few times but it feels pretty weird.
Do you older guys have any words of wisdom for me? Has anybody here had a similar thing?
I have a Prochem Quad steel wand with a glide. Should I go for a lighter/different wand?
I hate going to the doctor so Mikey's is my first stop for healthcare :)

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Yeah, you need a new wand.

But as for your hip, that's the doctor's specialty. I started having hip pain just recently also. I get in the motion of trying to keep the solution hose from burning my legs, and I'll start having sharp hip pains when I do that. Normally at the last job of the day. I'll be glad when winter comes, so I can start wearing pants again to help prevent that problem of burning my legs

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Art Kelly had a hip replacement beginning of the year....
went back to work a couple months back.......FEELS GREAT!

going back for the other one after the holidays...

do yorsef a favor...
DO NOT watch the video of the procedure......

Reactions: Art Kelley

steve_64

Just yesterday I could hardly drive home the top of my right hip hurt so bad. Genny used the massager on my back then an ice pack and a couple Tylenol 3s I had left for my tooth problem and I woke up good. Had to drive a couple hours to VA today for my sinuses.

I'm 53 and use the prochem quad no glide. My back problems go back to when I was 25. The hip hasn't hurt like that in a long time. It's usually between my shoulder blades and hurts when I breath.

I did have to use my hand to lift my leg while I drove home yesterday it was so bad.

steve_64

Art Kelly had a hip replacement beginning of the year....
went back to work a couple months back.......FEELS GREAT!

going back for the other one after the holidays...

do yorsef a favor...
DO NOT watch the video of the procedure......
The second hip replacement often causes problems.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
For sure get that lump checked out. Our work involves repetitive motion and that always strains your muscles. I am 58 and have started seeing a massage therapist regularly. For the last 2 months I have been feeling like a new man. I went once a week to start and now go every 2 weeks. I am taking a powdered supplement called called cal/mag c as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fat Mike

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
chiropractic care and message therapy is very good in aiding overall health.

i do lots of floor repairs and its my hips that'll give me grief not my knees. if i get adjustments and massages all is well

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
those folks if you get a good one maybe point you in the right dr for that lump

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Glides are your best friend as you get older. My Mach 12 is awesome for a 12 inch wand. I think Matt is still in love with his Mach 15 with 2 inch tubes. I have a helper working with me for the last few jobs and it really makes life easier. He is ok on the wand do on big jobs it frees me up to answer the phone, check the pump out or whatever. I just hope I can keep enough work going to keep him happy. This is my busy season, doing strata building common areas.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

steve_64

Why no glide Steve.
..Better yet
Why no helper. ...
Are you hard hEDed lik Art is?
I've been training someone but im feeling he won't make it long term.

Never tried a glide and I'm rocking it now so don't want to mess with things neither. I like the pain I guess.

My shoulder has gotten a lot better.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I had hip surgery, elbow surgery x2, trigger finger surgery, carpal tunnel surgery, knee surgery,hernia surgery........... lol! At 39 I feel like a million bucks!:eekk::lol:

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
Do you older guys have any words of wisdom for me? Has anybody here had a similar thing?
No. So here is the wisdom- Go to the Doctor. If you get to keep your leg...join a gym and keep ibuprofen handy. Hope all is well.

Reactions: ruff
Name
Nate W.
Get an RE...... Your body will thank you... The wand just wears on your body too much.. I'm an old soul in a young body..

Reactions: Able 1

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
It's an occupational hazard. My story may be a little different than you truck mount guys. I did a TON of carpet cleaning with rotary machines and Chemstractors in my younger years. Cleaning thousands of square feet of commercial carpet every night with a rotary tends to grind hard on the right side of the body. It's a mater of constant torque pushing against you.

Well it's been years since I've run a rotary every night. But I still have residual pain in my right hip and in my right hand that I surmise came from years of cleaning like a madman when I was younger. Sometimes the pain can be intense.

My advice to younger cleaners - CLEAN SMART. Take care of your body, it's the only one you've got. What we don't realize when we're young is that this stuff adds up over a lifetime. The Cimex, orbital machines, and CRB machines are much easier on the body for commercial carpet cleaning than a rotary. If I only knew back then. :hopeless:

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Same here. My right shoulder up to my neck is affected. Who thought, we were just trying to make a living. One of my buddies who is a floor guy says," there's no one dumber than a floor guy, except a carpet guy, and you're both".:hopeless:

Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom