Hip pain from carpet cleaning?

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
I can't clean without a glide .Once in while I remove the glide to remember the old days but was much younger then. Now its glide time and zipper time, I can still clean large areas with the zipper and no back pain but I;m still tired at the end of the job. Living the dream even at 75 yrs young. jz.
Hot Dang, that's inspirational!! I don't want to be cleaning at 75, just living!
(And maybe still hitting golfball:lol:)

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
The past few days I have using an older single cord portable with a aw29 and a older Pmf 802 with my truck. I am waiting on parts for my large portable and new jets for my Pmf Mach 12. My back is aching something fierce. Having the right tools really makes a difference. I stand taller using the machines 12 and don't have to work as hard with my regular portable. Like I said before, glides are your best friend.

Name
Nate W.
The past few days I have using an older single cord portable with a aw29 and a older Pmf 802 with my truck. I am waiting on parts for my large portable and new jets for my Pmf Mach 12. My back is aching something fierce. Having the right tools really makes a difference. I stand taller using the machines 12 and don't have to work as hard with my regular portable. Like I said before, glides are your best friend.

Lmk when your ready bud......:lol:

I have a spot for it and 3 hernias waiting....:eekk:

Reactions: Cleanworks

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
your wand technique and how you stand and move are to blame. your pelvis is twisted and pinching your sciatic nerve. your big toe and knee probably also hurt. get a zipper wand or RE or switch sides you used the wand on. If those are not options then concentrate on not twisting your pelvis. use your legs more and stay centered--- If you go to Mikey fest I'll demonstrate how I solved this problem for myself.

Name
Nate W.
your wand technique and how you stand and move are to blame. your pelvis is twisted and pinching your sciatic nerve. your big toe and knee probably also hurt. get a zipper wand or RE or switch sides you used the wand on. If those are not options then concentrate on not twisting your pelvis. use your legs more and stay centered--- If you go to Mikey fest I'll demonstrate how I solved this problem for myself.

Sounds like your a switch hitter?!? :eekk:

:lol:

Name
Steve Lawrence
Papa John said:

"Its Awkward holding the wand on the other side-- so I don't do it. Its all about staying centered and minimizing twisting or bending."

It's only awkward when first doing it. Practice cleaning on the other side in open areas until you are confident to work close to furniture, etc. It's very important to vary this exercise or your body will develop unsymmetrically and you could develop problems with your body as the original poster. Ask me how I know.

steve_64

When I use my left hand I can tell how out of balance imy body is so I try and do it when it doesn't cost me much time because I am slower. It definitely helps with my back pain but kills my carpal tunnel in my left hand which is caused by the handle on the wand or lifting the wand with the handle well one cause anyway.

Sometimes just slowing down and standing upright helps a lot too.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I've noticed major hip pain when I don't pick the wand up to push it forward. My hip twists to reposition the wand, which is putting some severe strain on it. You guys harassed me for showing that video of picking the wand up to reposition it, and all of a sudden I'm feeling some strain on it after taking your advice. Sorry, my hip is more important than the lift suction in my hose

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
When I use my left hand I can tell how out of balance imy body is so I try and do it when it doesn't cost me much time because I am slower. It definitely helps with my back pain but kills my carpal tunnel in my left hand which is caused by the handle on the wand or lifting the wand with the handle well one cause anyway.

Sometimes just slowing down and standing upright helps a lot too.
When Nate uses his left hand, it's like another woman, he told me.

Reactions: Nate The Great
Name
Nate W.
Lmao! Matty, if you haven't figured out that you should take what anyone says with a grain of salt... The only pains I have is when the check isn't ready after the job.. Zippers, rv360i, rarely the wand...

randy

Name
Randy
Last December I did a commercial job by myself as my "helper " no showed. It took me 11 hours and I had worked that day as well. When I was done I laid down on this horribly hard leather sofa for a minute to rest. My back locked up on me so bad I could hardly move. I was kind of scared to drive home and loading up the equipment was painful. The next morning I had to get out of bed sideways and it was so painful. Since it was a Sunday the chiropractor wasn't an option so I headed to the massage place. Great my regular therapist is out of the country so I get this Chinese lady that doesn't speak English. The receptionist is translating why I'm there and the therapist is acting like she understands, always a bad sign. She about killed me but I felt much better when I left the office. The next day the chiropractor sold me I have a sprained hip. I'm like, wow never heard of that. It took 6 weeks of treatment but in the end I'm pain free again.

I use massage, acupuncture, chiropractic care, a special pillow and mattress and still have issues. This business is very rough on the body. Years of pushing the wand back in my TM / portable days, rotary use and working too long has had it's shot at killing me.

I would tell any newbie to get a rotovac 360 , zipper or something of that nature from day 1.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
every redundant work task takes it toll on the body after years of doing such .
Matters not if pounding nails or pounding on a key board day in and day out

You can't prevent it, only minimize the speed and severity of it by using varied tools and techniques

if you can't learn to wand from both sides, you're an idiot.
If you can't learn to wand from an upright, correct posture/comfortable position, you're an idiot
If you don't set up the truck and jobs for efficiency ("economy of motion") you're an idiot
If you don't stretch and warn up before jobs, you're an idiot

the world is plum full of idiots
endeavor not to be one

..L.T.A.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Lmao! Matty, if you haven't figured out that you should take what anyone says with a grain of salt... The only pains I have is when the check isn't ready after the job.. Zippers, rv360i, rarely the wand...
I take you guys' criticism very seriously. I've had a few good discussions on this issue with getting the best dry time, so I changed my motion on the wand.

As for Zippers, rv360...I have no desire to mess with any of them. I've used crappy wands and good wands, and a good wand is the tool to have to save someone's back. So for anyone new in the business who's reading this...Prochem Titanium, Mach15, or the best...Devastator: One of those 3 will keep your back from failing anytime soon

Name
Steve Lawrence
It's kind of too bad that our many technicians in our industry feel the need to go so fast to make the job profitable at the expense of our bodies and our well being. I always like it when I have plenty of time to complete the job, do it well, and not hurt myself in the process. I wish I and our techs would slow down and enjoy this work more.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I've noticed major hip pain when I don't pick the wand up to push it forward. My hip twists to reposition the wand, which is putting some severe strain on it. You guys harassed me for showing that video of picking the wand up to reposition it, and all of a sudden I'm feeling some strain on it after taking your advice. Sorry, my hip is more important than the lift suction in my hose
Matt, I am giving you grief about picking up your wand because it is not necessary. On your return stroke, just lift the wand on the left side slightly and slide it forward. That is what the handle is for. If you make it to Phoenix, I will show you. Nice and easy.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
https://www.spine-health.com/conditions/sciatica/what-piriformis-syndrome

This is worth checking out ..

As we rock back n forth with the wand - we can over work our piriformus muscle. Repetitve movement that causes this muscle to be over worked may create spasms. These spasms can irritate our sciatic nerve since the nerve runs thru this muscle. Its function is to give us range of motion. It helps the hip rotate.

Look up Jen Hilman Yoga stretches for piriformus muscles. Theyre awesome !!

If you are not drinking enough water, you will dehydrate your muscles making them to stiff to flex. The more lubricated your muscles are the more flexible you become without pain. Kinda like a beef jerky. A raw strip of meat can flex in all directions. Once dehydrated (beef jerky) it becomes too difficult to move. As you become to difficult to flex, you start pulling from other areas. So drink up .. unless you wanna be a Beef Jerky !!

You should be drinking half your weight in ounces. If youre 200 lbs then you need to drink 100 ounces .. every day. If youre a heavy sweater, drink more and add electrolytes (powder mix) supplements. Not Gatorade because its too sugary. Might be easier to break up 100 ounces into a 10hr period .. 10 ounces per hour. Drinking 100 ounces as fast as you can will not work. It will pass right thru you. It needs to be absorbed. Yes - at first youll be running to the bathroom alot but once you get going, the water will absorb and your trips to the bathroom will decrease significantly.

Get lubricated and stay flexible .. its unbelieveable how these two can make you feel !! Good Luck !!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrice

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom