Home Owners Association or H.O.A. For some reason I wanted to abbreviate it

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
i have a couple friends who live in the big ATL. And they don't want to wrap their van, or even letter it because of the agreement with the HOA. They're worried that they'll get in trouble.

Is it really that bad? What's the worst that would happen with penalties, and is there a way to legally get around that? That's causing a major prevention in allowing a business to grow if they can't wrap or letter their vans

FredC

Village Idiot
The HOA has agreed to enforce that rule so their neighborhood doesn't look like shit..............I doubt your friends were required to live there and beyond that probably chose to live there because the rules in place make it a nice neighborhood

Reactions: Bob Pruitt

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
I had a cover made and added the words emergency water extraction. They aren't allowed to look under the cover and you are allowed to keep a work vehicle at home if you are called out at night for emergency work. Cape Coral Florida City rules.

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
Right up my ally.

It all depends the HOA. Mine is strick. we have a 40 page or so Bylaws... and it also depends on your council how's it enforced.

I am grandfathered in on new regulations, which have to be recorded with county BTW.

Currently, your not even allowed to have a work vehicle, wrapped or not, even if it's in your garage... yea... they can fine up to $50 a day until corrected

I had the president/ attorney follow me in driveway one day.... in my wrapped box truck, (I modified my garage to fit) ......it was on.....

I do have a shop, and I park my 4 work trucks there. I may eventually park my custom box there 1 day, it is just more convient for me to drive straight home than pit at the shop....

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
The HOA has agreed to enforce that rule so their neighborhood doesn't look like shit..............I doubt your friends were required to live there and beyond that probably chose to live there because the rules in place make it a nice neighborhood
But how can you make your house payment if your business isn't growing at full speed because you're driving a plain white van?

A little exaggeration, but you get my point

FredC

Village Idiot
You don't live where the rules prevent work vehicles......

or you find some way other way of advertising

or find a place to park it outside of the neighborhood

Last edited:

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
The streets are public roads you can park it in the street.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
My reasoning is...what can they do if you decide to wrap your van and don't pay their stupid penalty fees?

They can't kick you out of your house

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
My reasoning is...what can they do if you decide to wrap your van and don't pay their stupid penalty fees?

They can't kick you out of your house

The fines will continue building. When you go to sell your house you won't be able to until you satisfy the lien.

I lived in a neighborhood like this and was on the board. We couldn't park the work van there, but luckily there was a property adjacent that let us park there in the nicer weather and a barn up the street we could park in and plug in heater in the winter.

As a board member we did fine many people for infractions, commercial vehicles being one of them. There were quite a few people that went to sell their homes and couldn't until that check was written at settlement. Everyone who lived there received a copy of the HOA prior to moving in and had to sign off on it. So it should be no surprise what the regulations are.

Our borough (not HOA) didn't allow street parking between the hours of 12am-6am, unless a call was made to the police station to let them know you had a guest or someone needing to park on the street, but it was not permitted for long term.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Community rules to keep the riff raff out. In a regular neighborhood you have the loud car stereos, big semi trucks , RV's , and other arrogant neighbors who seem to think they need to brag about what they own. Not here, most around my age and their drama is in their past. Pristine. clean, friendly neighbors. I have moved a couple times in the past to get away from barking dogs and all of the above.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
You would have to pay me to live in a place like that. I don't understand owning a place that regulates your vehicles paint job. That isn't ownership.
I agree with you and I'm on the same line of thought

There is a need for some rules in a neighborhood, because nobody wants to he next to a neighbor with their dog tied to a tree, or a yard used as an auto parts junkyard

I just think the HOA is abusing their authority, even if there's a signed agreement.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
I just think the HOA is abusing their authority, even if there's a signed agreement.

Not at all abuse of authority. How is enforcing rules, you and everyone in that community agreed to when you purchased there, abuse of authority? If you thought that was unreasonable, you shouldn't have moved there to begin with, since I assume you had the by laws to review and sign off on before you could purchase.
You had the choice NOT to move in there if you wanted to keep commercial vehicles parked in your driveway. Likely it wasn't a thought at the time when you moved there, but now it is a consideration and suddenly the rules aren't fair because the are not working for your situation.

We didn't get the van lettered the first winter we got it so we could park it in the driveway and plug in heater. We slapped on magnets every morning and took them off at night. Got lettered in the spring and then found a place we could keep it once we did. We had a dry cleaner in the development. Parked the van in the driveway everyday. You could see the clothes hanging in the back windows, but since the van was not lettered, it was within the guidelines.

Commercial lettered vehicles were permitted if they were parked in the garage, but our work van was too long to fit in.

People choose to move into these types of communities because they don't want to see a big lettered vehicles lining their street as well as a host of other things that are nuisances in unregulated communities.

Reactions: Jimmy L

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
There are quite a few in my area who do have liens on their property who refuse to pay their hoa dues.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Wow. Jimmy and Fred C liked my post. That's almost unheard of to get a like from either of them.

What a great day for me!!

Reactions: DAT

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
You can take the trash out of his trailer, but you can't take the trailer out of the trash.
What are you talking about? You live in an area just like mine.

I don't live in an area with HOA. I'm just thinking out loud about my buddies who do live in those areas

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
So all this was about nothing?

What an idiot!
There's a lot of behind the scenes conversations between other carpet cleaners that don't converse on here. So I figured I'd try and find the answer for them

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
So I figured I'd try and find the answer for them

the answer is ...if they were stupid enough to move into a place with a bunch of nibshitin, noseyazz neighbors that dictate rules they don't like , they're just plain dumfooks

feel free to tell them I said so :winky:

..L.T.A.

F

FB7777

Hey Matt... are you playing devil's advocate?

Or are you just profoundly dense?

Meg explained it fairly straight forward. Your argument about them preventing you from earning a living is ridiculous

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.

Meg explained it fairly straight forward. Your argument about them preventing you from earning a living is ridiculous
I don't know anything about it. That's why I brought that up. But wouldn't you be pissed if your neighbor walked up to you after you wrapped your van and said, "I don't like the advertising on your van. It's messing up the value of my property". That's no different than the HOA.

I agree with Meg on the fact that it's all written in the agreement and read before moving there. It's just hard for me to comprehend how people actually go along with that crap

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.

It's not rediculous. Would your business do better if you had a magnet on it or a Ryan Kettering lettering or wrap? You'd get more new customer calls from the lettering/wrap

That's what I was referring to

FredC

Village Idiot
It helps protect their investment in their home.

I'd hate to buy in a neighborhood without them especially at the level of house I'm capable of buying. I'm no Fred Boyle so I need something to help keep my neighborhood nice other than price as a barrier to entry.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
It helps protect their investment in their home.

I'd hate to buy in a neighborhood without them especially at the level of house I'm capable of buying.
That's a good point. I'm thinking along the lines of a $150k home. Not a $500k home

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom