Home Owners Association or H.O.A. For some reason I wanted to abbreviate it

Discussion in 'Lets talk Business!' started by Matt Wood, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Matt Wood
    Matt Wood

Name:
    matt wood
    i have a couple friends who live in the big ATL. And they don't want to wrap their van, or even letter it because of the agreement with the HOA. They're worried that they'll get in trouble.

Is it really that bad? What's the worst that would happen with penalties, and is there a way to legally get around that? That's causing a major prevention in allowing a business to grow if they can't wrap or letter their vans
  2. FredC
    FredC

Village Idiot

Name:
    Fred Cordell
  3. FredC
    FredC

Village Idiot

Name:
    Fred Cordell
    The HOA has agreed to enforce that rule so their neighborhood doesn't look like shit..............I doubt your friends were required to live there and beyond that probably chose to live there because the rules in place make it a nice neighborhood
    Bob Pruitt likes this.
  4. Bob Pruitt
    Bob Pruitt

Name:
    Robert Pruitt
    I had a cover made and added the words emergency water extraction. They aren't allowed to look under the cover and you are allowed to keep a work vehicle at home if you are called out at night for emergency work. Cape Coral Florida City rules.
    Mikey P, scottw and Matt Wood like this.
  5. clean image
    clean image

Name:
    Carl Maddock
    Right up my ally.

It all depends the HOA. Mine is strick. we have a 40 page or so Bylaws... and it also depends on your council how's it enforced.

I am grandfathered in on new regulations, which have to be recorded with county BTW.

Currently, your not even allowed to have a work vehicle, wrapped or not, even if it's in your garage... yea... they can fine up to $50 a day until corrected

I had the president/ attorney follow me in driveway one day.... in my wrapped box truck, (I modified my garage to fit) ......it was on.....

I do have a shop, and I park my 4 work trucks there. I may eventually park my custom box there 1 day, it is just more convient for me to drive straight home than pit at the shop....
    Mikey P and Matt Wood like this.
  6. Matt Wood
    Matt Wood

Name:
    matt wood
    But how can you make your house payment if your business isn't growing at full speed because you're driving a plain white van?

A little exaggeration, but you get my point
  7. FredC
    FredC

Village Idiot

Name:
    Fred Cordell
    You don't live where the rules prevent work vehicles......

or you find some way other way of advertising

or find a place to park it outside of the neighborhood
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  8. Jimmy L
    Jimmy L

Name:
    Jimmy L
    The streets are public roads you can park it in the street.
  9. Matt Wood
    Matt Wood

Name:
    matt wood
    My reasoning is...what can they do if you decide to wrap your van and don't pay their stupid penalty fees?

They can't kick you out of your house
  10. PrimaDonna
    PrimaDonna

Megatron

Name:
    MB
    The fines will continue building. When you go to sell your house you won't be able to until you satisfy the lien.

I lived in a neighborhood like this and was on the board. We couldn't park the work van there, but luckily there was a property adjacent that let us park there in the nicer weather and a barn up the street we could park in and plug in heater in the winter.

As a board member we did fine many people for infractions, commercial vehicles being one of them. There were quite a few people that went to sell their homes and couldn't until that check was written at settlement. Everyone who lived there received a copy of the HOA prior to moving in and had to sign off on it. So it should be no surprise what the regulations are.

Our borough (not HOA) didn't allow street parking between the hours of 12am-6am, unless a call was made to the police station to let them know you had a guest or someone needing to park on the street, but it was not permitted for long term.
    Matt Wood likes this.
  11. Small town janitorial
    Small town janitorial

Name:
    Matt Ross
    You would have to pay me to live in a place like that. I don't understand owning a place that regulates your vehicles paint job. That isn't ownership.
    Matt Wood likes this.
  12. Jimmy L
    Jimmy L

Name:
    Jimmy L
    Community rules to keep the riff raff out. In a regular neighborhood you have the loud car stereos, big semi trucks , RV's , and other arrogant neighbors who seem to think they need to brag about what they own. Not here, most around my age and their drama is in their past. Pristine. clean, friendly neighbors. I have moved a couple times in the past to get away from barking dogs and all of the above.
  13. Matt Wood
    Matt Wood

Name:
    matt wood
    I agree with you and I'm on the same line of thought

There is a need for some rules in a neighborhood, because nobody wants to he next to a neighbor with their dog tied to a tree, or a yard used as an auto parts junkyard

I just think the HOA is abusing their authority, even if there's a signed agreement.
  14. PrimaDonna
    PrimaDonna

Megatron

Name:
    MB
    Not at all abuse of authority. How is enforcing rules, you and everyone in that community agreed to when you purchased there, abuse of authority? If you thought that was unreasonable, you shouldn't have moved there to begin with, since I assume you had the by laws to review and sign off on before you could purchase.
    You had the choice NOT to move in there if you wanted to keep commercial vehicles parked in your driveway. Likely it wasn't a thought at the time when you moved there, but now it is a consideration and suddenly the rules aren't fair because the are not working for your situation.

We didn't get the van lettered the first winter we got it so we could park it in the driveway and plug in heater. We slapped on magnets every morning and took them off at night. Got lettered in the spring and then found a place we could keep it once we did. We had a dry cleaner in the development. Parked the van in the driveway everyday. You could see the clothes hanging in the back windows, but since the van was not lettered, it was within the guidelines.

Commercial lettered vehicles were permitted if they were parked in the garage, but our work van was too long to fit in.

People choose to move into these types of communities because they don't want to see a big lettered vehicles lining their street as well as a host of other things that are nuisances in unregulated communities.
    Jimmy L likes this.
  15. Jimmy L
    Jimmy L

Name:
    Jimmy L
    There are quite a few in my area who do have liens on their property who refuse to pay their hoa dues.
  16. hogjowl
    hogjowl

@

Name:
    Marty Sutley
    You can take the trash out of his trailer, but you can't take the trailer out of the trash.
  17. PrimaDonna
    PrimaDonna

Megatron

Name:
    MB
    Wow. Jimmy and Fred C liked my post. That's almost unheard of to get a like from either of them.

What a great day for me!!
    Derrick T. likes this.
  18. Matt Wood
    Matt Wood

Name:
    matt wood
    What are you talking about? You live in an area just like mine.

I don't live in an area with HOA. I'm just thinking out loud about my buddies who do live in those areas
  19. hogjowl
    hogjowl

@

Name:
    Marty Sutley
    So all this was about nothing?

What an idiot!
    Bruce Humphrey and Matt Wood like this.
  20. Matt Wood
    Matt Wood

Name:
    matt wood
    There's a lot of behind the scenes conversations between other carpet cleaners that don't converse on here. So I figured I'd try and find the answer for them