Home Owners Association or H.O.A. For some reason I wanted to abbreviate it

F

FB7777

Sorry Matt, your arguments are irrelevant to the facts of an HOA document they agree to at purchase

You are clearly dense, the agreements are in place because residents aspire to that type of lifestyle

You are bringing up signage and how it effects your business, your neighbors don't give a shit about how you make a living

wrap your van, just don't park it at home

It's simple

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Matt, I live in a covenanted area (not HOA). Exceptions are allowed if the adjacent property owners sign off on them and so I'd suggest your friend get and study the HOA rules carefully for any such leeway.

Beyond that, perhaps rent a storage place big enough, hit a deal with his brother in law or something. These things are not new. My Grandfather was a jobber in Philadelphia and often worked in mansions. They had local ordinances prohibiting work trucks like pickups. Talk about retarded, but those people could be real snobs. Well, Grandpa never bought a pickup, he bought station wagons and put his lumber rack on top. It met the letter, if not the spirit of the law and he did very well. The point is to find the opening and exploit it.

Aside, I don't see any need to bust Matt's chops for not liking or agreeing with HOA rules, when he hasn't dealt with them. Maybe it is a Southern thing to chafe against such intrusions that northerners take as normal. We tend to keep our word and abide by our deals, but you have to understand that being bossed around goes down bitterly. In fact, it can get your head punched. Hence the stubborn attitude.
Plus, he finally got a van for his truckmount so whatnhell do yall want from him?

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
I rather rent, and have a small shop somewhere for me to park a van into if i had one for privacy and security. I doubt i would bother buy any kind of house...bleh

F

FB7777

First house I was looking to purchase back in the early 90s was in a neighborhood with Covenants... no visible trash barrels, commercial lettered vehicles , unregistered cars etc.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to live in an HOA community .

Liked the house but didn't buy as a result of not being able to bring home my trucks

People are in my business enough as it is... I go home to escape the bullshit

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
First house I was looking to purchase back in the early 90s was in a neighborhood with Covenants... no visible trash barrels, commercial lettered vehicles , unregistered cars etc.

Liked the house but didn't buy as a result of not being able to bring home my trucks

Then we're on the same page, because I don't live in the HOA either, nor do I want to live in it. The whole reason I started this thread was to see if there was any way to beat the system or get around the fine print for those who want to letter their vehicle. From what I see in all the replies, there isn't.

It never hurts to ask

Reactions: FB7777

hogjowl

Idiot™

And yet, you keep coming here.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Lived in 5 houses and most of the time I moved because of the neighbors. Nosey , barking dogs, idiot teenagers with ghetto music BOOM BOOM in their cars , Big RV's parked in the driveway,always parking in front of MY house, stupid neighbor who insisted on mowing a row on my side of the fence so I wouldn't damage it from my weed wacker.
This new trailer court I live in has rules........upscale...........but I always keep my trailer's tires filled....... ready to move at a moment's notice.......just in case.

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
HOAs are a pain in the ass, personally I would never buy a home in a development with one. We have more cookie cutters being built here than anywhere in the US right now, literally going up by the thousands.

Its like buying a house then not being able to do what you want without approval from someone else. The ones around here you literally cant even landscape the front of your home how you want, has to be approved design.

Cant park trucks in driveways, or on street... cant have a basketball hoop in driveway to play with your kids. IDK personally I would never buy a home with an HOA.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
But wouldn't you be pissed if your neighbor walked up to you after you wrapped your van and said, "I don't like the advertising on your van. It's messing up the value of my property". That's no different than the HOA.

Completely different.

You know ahead of time you can't do it on the HOA. It's an established rule that you agree to by moving there. People in HOA communities wouldn't come up to you and say that because it's already not permitted and you know it. Invalid statement!

Sure, you can be pissed at a neighbor in a neighborhood without an HOA coming up and saying that. But the fact is there's nothing they can do about it as long as it isn't a voilation of township ordances. . If it bothers them, then they can move to an HOA community or buy a house with land to not deal with it. There are pros and cons to living on both types of communities.

Reactions: FB7777
F

FB7777

I'm no Fred Boyle so I need something to help keep my neighborhood nice other than price as a barrier to entry.
Hey I told you to buy Apple when it was trading at $97 less than a year ago

Shit, even if you just bought call option LEAPs instead of the stock you'd be up over 50%

Matt, yes we are on the same page regarding HOA, your argument is where I found fault

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Oh yeah I moved because of an IDIOT neighbor next door put up a basketball hoop. NERVE WRACKING AS YOU CAN HEAR IT ALL THRU THE HOUSE! BOING BOING BOING TILL IT GETS DARK! ASSHOLES!!!!!!!!!

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Interesting to see all the folks that can't stop complaining about government over regulation, yet of their own will, choose to live in HOAs like situations that regulate how many times and if you can fart north in their own garage.

Personally, when it comes to subjects of that magnitude, I prefer to make my own decisions.

Last edited:
Name
Matt Ross
Move out of the city, buy a house on some lakefront, riverfront, or oceanfront property, and you won't have to worry about your property values dropping. You can then use your own free will to do whatever you want to your work van. Plus you won't have to stare at a bunch of other cookie cutter houses with uptight neighbors who have nothing better to do but be in other people's business. Just my opinion.

F

FB7777

And absolutely entitled to it

However the opinion of some with ample means is to purchase a clean, impeccably manicured gated community and escape Joe the Tow truck guy changing his oil or working on his car on blocks in the driveway

Ass for every seat

Reactions: BIG WOOD

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
That "manicure" comes at too high a price. And I am not talking about the value of the property.
But as you said- To each his own.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
That "manicure" comes at too high a price. And I am not talking about the value of the property.
But as you said- To each his own.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Mow grass $95 a month..............priceless.

Fook mowing!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom