Home Show Booth

CleanEvo

I've reserved a home show booth in our local Home & Garden Show in February. I live in a smaller city (80,000 population), so the cost was reasonable.

I've never tried this before, so I'm not sure what to expect. One of the local franchise operations has been in it for a few years, so he must be getting something out of it. They do have a nice booth that the franchiser makes available.

I on the other hand have nothing. I am getting a nice sign made up. I'll also have a draw for a $300 cleaning package and will be handing out postcards with a show special to as many people as possible.

I also have an upholstered chair and an area rug that will be on display. Does anyone have a good suggestion to get them really dirty looking, but still be able to get half of it looking really clean... and then being able to clean it up well after the show?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oh ya... Wishing all of you a prosperous 2008!

The Preacher

let some dirty pets sit on them, that'll get it soiled!!!

have some magnets made up if you don't have some already, they seem to "hang around" longer than post cards!!!

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Talk to Mr Chavez or Al Simms two of the greatest show man on the board

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Our home show was an exhausting affair but very rewarding., Remember that the biggest reason people have a hard time buying ANY service is they can't see it, touch it, taste is and "pre-experience it" before the purchase.

By presenting yourself correctly at a home show you have a unique opportunity to let people "pre-experience" your service and cut the FEAR FACTOR of the transaction enormously. On the other hand, do it wrong it will just be an expensive waste of time or even worse, be a negative Moment of Truth for 1,000's of prospective Cheerleaders!

Here's a few thoughts.

1) Action, people want lots of action. Home show attendees get that glazed look of being over stimulated very quickly. So you need to "pull them in" to the booth. Dumping stuff on a cushion is good. (You can also set up a big TV and run a dramatic video of cleaning really trashed carpet but live is always better.) On an inside booth I'd set up an olefin chair and let kids stain it up with eggs, catsup, dirt, etc and then clean it off.

NOTE: We set our trucks up outside and cleaned area rugs that peole would bring in for free. (We literally had some trash type people tear up their living room carpet and bring it in- made a great demo piece!) Over a 2 day period we would clean 600 to 800 rugs- free of charge. Created tremendous good will and boy did we have action as people watched two truck mounts and 4 or 5 techs cleaning continuously. (Set up clear view filters and let folks watch the gunk coming out of the rugs.)

2) Humor, lot's of fun humor. As I mention above, ask kids to dump some of their hot dog or Coke on the cushion and then caution them out loud, "Don't do this at home!

3) Take the initiative. Don't wait for people to enter your booth. We had several of our employees out front handing out $20.00 off coupons to everyone who passed by. Then if the prospect stopped and asked a question the "front end" passed them off to me or one of my managers in the "back end". Have something to hand people that has "value". We printed up thousands of "checks" on real check stock that in reality was a ccoupon. (Today with inflation I would make it for 25.00 on any cleaning over 100.00 or something like that.) There was a "signature line" for our employees to sign as they handed the check to the customer. Gave it extra respect. Over the years we got a tremendous return from these. Sometimes someone would turn in a coupon that they had saved for five or six years before calling us. Fine by me. The "check" had done it's job.

4) This is exhausting work. We scheduled rotating breaks for our peole every two hours. BTW, prohibit chairs in the booth. The last thing attendees want to see is a bunch of employees sitting down. (No chairs in your booth.) Take their breaks elsewhere.

5. Always run a contest which forces people to stop and fill out a coupon. You should also have a box for them to check if they would like a "free home inspection" and also fill out what time is best to contact them over the phone. (If you do this be sure to have extra staff to follow up the next work day to schedule the appointments. We would typically get several hundred requests and it is a negative MOT for people to request a call and not get one.)

6. All of the above means you will need to invest some money in your "production". Hire extra people, professional graphics for your booth, do it right or don't do it at all.

7. Keep yourself and other management free to talk to the "heavy hitters". I would stay more to the back of the booth and when one of our people working the crowd had a good prospect they would bring them back and introduce us. Then I would take over!

I have put together a lot more information in a free Special Report on how to do Home/ Trade Shows. If anyone wants a copy e-mailed to them just write me at stoburen@homefrontsuccess.com and put the word "Home Show" in the subject line. (If you want the free companion DVD just include your mailing address.)

Steve Toburen CR
Director of Training
Jon-Don's Strategies for Success

PS Why not give out a free bottle of spotter with LIFETIME FREE REFILLS for everyone who fills out a request for a home inspection? This weeds out a lot but let's you reward those with serious interest.

PPS Was the Home Show a valuable marketing tool? Yes and we spent a substantial part of our yearly promotional budget on it. Did I like doing it? In the early years yes. Later on I grew to dread it. Absolutely exhausting.

But if you do it do it right it absolutely rocks. My competitors would come in and just sit around ... and sneak glimpses of us busily doing free rug cleaning with 20 or 30 potential customers standing around watching our boys working. (I loved this part.)

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Just wanted to add

On your drawing coupon qualify the prospect by asking if they own their home or rent, how long it has been since their last cleaning, If they are interested in carpet or furniture cleaning etc...

Also, it doesn't hurt to have email addresses to sent qualified prospects a electronic newsletter or promotion on a regular basis.

You can send follow up postcards saying they have won the second chance drawing for a free....

and then use this base to mail to on a periodic basis.

Require that the entry blank must be filled in completely to qualify for the prize.

You can build a mailing/email list you can farm for years and years!

Al

I would have a drawing for 3 or 4 attractive prizes to give out besides the 300 dollar cleaning. We print out a slip for the drawings so they can fill out name address and phone #. We make sure they are over 18 or accompanied by an adult.
You need something that catches the kid's eye, like a remote control Helicopter, a telescope.....something cool. Set the display up as close to the people as you can and separate from your service display.

This setup should help you get a good # of names to add to your data base. From our experience so far, a couple of the prize winners will set up a cleaning right away. I wouldn't skimp on the prizes either, give out some nice stuff that you would like to win.

Some prizes we have used are
Digital camera, DVD player, Mp3 player, tool set, Spider Man remote Helicopter, Big Tonka Truck, Special Edition Monopoly games.

AL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom