Home shows

Onfire_02_01

Name
Jeremy Gray
It is the season for home shows in my area. I have noticed that one carpet and duct cleaner and one area rug and carpet dyer have a booth at the next home show.
Has anyone done a home and garden, home and patio, home and boat, etc. show as part of their marketing? How has it worked out for you? Any tips on making it work successfully, should I decide to go that route?

Reactions: Chris Howell

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Our company did home and garden show every spring for several years. We had baord with before / after photos. We had our crew there so potential custoemrs could meet the people who would be doing the cleaning.

We held a drawing for free house of carpet cleaning. They had to enter name, address, phone number (and later years email). There was also second place one room of carpet cleaning. They had to say which room they wanted cleaned if they won second place. This made them think about which rooms needed cleaning. It also gave us something to talk about when doing marketing calls from the data we collected. We gave away lots of second place prizes and almost always did other work along with it.

Because we did fire restoration, we also had an ultrasonic cleaner. We had that at the show to clean ladies jewelry. That alwasy drew a crowd. It took less than 30 seconds to clean most rings, etc. but we could keep them talking and listening to information about our services as long as we had their rings. Sometimes we let them clean for several minutes.

Plenty of literature to hand out.

Bowl of small candy. People get hungry walking those shows.

We got very well known to the people who cared about how their homes looked. Good marketing in the years before social media wea a big thing. It might be different now.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Every Spring for us at our local show....

We actually do very well starting off our cleaning season, and people usually love to stop by and see us too.

I will try to add some pics of past booths here when and if I can get some time

Reactions: BIG WOOD
Name
Ross Martin
You will meet people who are very interested "in the moment". You need to book estimates/appointments right at the show, because very few will actually call back.

Sometimes it will take a year for people to finally call.

I'm in a relatively small community, so it does help to get your name and face out there.

While at the show slot a good amount of time to visit other tables and network with other local businesses.

Reactions: J Scott W

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We've done all kinds of shows. Anytime you get enough people attending its worth being there. Air ducts are always popular I'd bet that air duct guy does well at those shows.

Don't pressure the attendees. Most people won't even make eye contact out of fear that you are going to pressure them into something. Buy a couple of boxes of blow pops and ask everyone that passes by if they want one. It breaks the barrier people let down their defense a little and most people after you give them one will ask you what you are selling.

We have one this weekend and another the first of the month and then the next the first of May. This is a new division we are trying to launch.

20170213_123046.jpg

Onfire_02_01

Name
Jeremy Gray
You will meet people who are very interested "in the moment". You need to book estimates/appointments right at the show, because very few will actually call back.

Sometimes it will take a year for people to finally call.

I'm in a relatively small community, so it does help to get your name and face out there.

While at the show slot a good amount of time to visit other tables and network with other local businesses.
I am using House Call Pro so booking on the spot is an easy thing to do, they would walk away with a confirmation text message and an e-mail waiting for them when they got home.

Ivan Turner

Supportive Member
Name
Ivan Turner
Home shows can be extremely profitable if adequate planning is done and if the booth is eye catching and is staffed with high energy producers. I have won best in show on multiple occasions while exhibiting. This year due to the fact that I am growing my business at a rapid rate, I have not yet exhibited. I'm sure my competitors are thrilled to death about this, but their day is coming. However, I do have at least three shows scheduled for this year. Yesterday I walked through the HBA (Home Builders Show) which I have always exhibited at with the exception of this year and noticed that the vast majority of exhibitors were sitting behind their table, chatting with someone from a neighboring booth, sitting around gossiping, texting or doing something on their mobile devices. What a mistake. I never allowed my people to have a device at a show, nor did I allow chairs. It's business and requires 110% of everyone's attention to make the effort worth the expense. Trade shows are not a place for the sick lame and lazy!

You must know who the people are that attend these shows. Sure you will always have the booth kickers who are just strolling by to pick up trinkets, swag or whatever in the hell you want to call the freebies. You must get these people away from your booth as quickly as possible. Don't worry about being overly polite. Simply tell them to scram. If that doesn't work be a little more blunt and tell them to get the **** out of my space. I paid for this 8 x 10 booth and frankly, you are not welcome here, stroll down and visit my lethargic competitor. Spend no time talking to people who are just bored and want to share their life story with you. They are like blood engorged ticks and will drain the life out of your staff who are manning your booth. Separate the wheat from the chaff, the riff from the raff and focus on BUYERS. It's all about lead generation, lead conversion and customer fulfillment, nothing more nothing less.

A few years back I was exhibiting at the experience in Clear Water Beach Florida and used a classy and leggy model with short shorts sporting my logo to bring attendees to my booth. It paid off in spades. I sold more programs during that one show than I had in the previous year. I knew who my potential customers were. Even after that success some gas bag from the plain state of Kansas, made it his life to criticize my marketing strategies. I was accused by him of using sex to sell my services, etc, etc. All the while this under achieving, wanna be carpet cleaner was spending his time hiding in the bushes in company issued, piss stained skivvies staking out hotels to catch his competitors dumping waste water into public drain system all due to his jealousy that the competitor took an account from him.

So in closing,

To hell with what I or others tell you about home shows and the likes, if you feel up to it then goes balls to the wall and then and only then will you know if it was a success.

Here's to your success!

Ivan

Ivan Turner

Supportive Member
Name
Ivan Turner
Nice booth set up Richard.

I apologize to all for the last paragraph in my reply above. It was did-tasteful, uncalled for and very un professional, so again please forgive me. One too many hot Sake's last night at the Siberian Seal Club

EDS

Name
Ed
To hell with what I or others tell you about home shows and the likes, if you feel up to it then goes balls to the wall and then and only then will you know if it was a success
I hate learning that way. To much risk...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom