Hotwater and Encap

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
Whenever I mix my encap products its with warm water not hot, my reasoning is the chemistry and agitation does the work

Do any of you mix with hot and notice a definite difference?

What about those that use an encap as a prespray through a hydroforce does the heat from the TM negatively affect the polymers?

Or is it a case of different encap polymers react differently to heat?

Reactions: BIG WOOD

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
For me when i do it hot, it seems to release dirt better for me when i run the CRB or 175. Thermodynamics and kinectic at works.

Reactions: Hack Attack

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
In the late 1800s, a Swedish physicist named Svante A. Arrhenius, researching the connection between heat and energy, made an important finding that would impact cleaning forever. He discovered that for every 18-degree Fahrenheit (10-degree Celsius) increase in temperature over 118- degrees Fahrenheit (48-degrees Celsius), the amount of molecular energy released is doubled. This means that for every 18-degree Fahrenheit over 118- degrees , the effectiveness of the cleaning process doubles. This is known as the Arrhenius equation.

Speaking for Releasit, our products will still work well with warm or even cold water. But since hotter water will always helps ALL types of cleaning to work more efficiently, it is beneficial to use hot water if it's available. We recommend using bucket heaters to get ripping hot water for encapping. https://www.excellent-supply.com/Professional-Bucket-Heater-1000-Watt_p_511.html

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
the encap I use has isopropyl in the mix and definitely smells more when mixed hot

I was thinking if the heat is causing the alcohol to evaporate more what is it doing to the polymers?

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Oh my! Can't some of you figure it out? It's not rocket science.

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
To do it well and have it be tidy, durable and safe would take a little finesse.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
I can’t keep up with you smart guys.

You misspelled “smart*sses”.

Anyhow, the bucket heater is stainless and rinses easily. I mix Releasit in hot tap water and raise it to whatever with the bucket heater and don’t worry about it afterwards.

Then again, I don’t waste much time worrying about most things, so the advice is only worth what you paid for it.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Dang, I was just designing a heat exchange capable of heating the water to 1800 degrees so I could clean a 100 times faster.

CJ-FL

Name
CK-FL
Is release it the most commonly used encap and do you like it?(other than @encapman) What is your process when using it? Pre-Vac., apply with electric sprayer? Agitate, post vac.?

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
In the late 1800s, a Swedish physicist named Svante A. Arrhenius, researching the connection between heat and energy, made an important finding that would impact cleaning forever. He discovered that for every 18-degree Fahrenheit (10-degree Celsius) increase in temperature over 118- degrees Fahrenheit (48-degrees Celsius), the amount of molecular energy released is doubled. This means that for every 18-degree Fahrenheit over 118- degrees , the effectiveness of the cleaning process doubles. This is known as the Arrhenius equation
They used that equation with floor strippers for years untill they realized that by mixing it hot the solvents would evaporate before they had a chance to work. So without changing the formulas they changed the instructions to use cool to warm water. The solvents stayed in dilution and worked better. The other problem with that theory is that the water is being cooled as you are spraying it on the floor and the moment it hits the floor the temperature is drastically reduced nullifying any advantage from temperature. So in answer to the OP question mix cool to warm water.
Ps. I can see that equation working in a pot of boiling water but once the fire is shut off everything is decelarating rapidly.

Reactions: Hack Attack

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
It's pretty simple to visualize how the hotter water thing works. Consider that your hands are filthy with grease. Try washing them with really cold water. Now try it with warm tap water. Now try again with hot water. We've all seen that hotter water will clean your hands faster. Same goes for dishes, laundry, etc.

The same rule applies to carpet cleaning. As the temperature increases it's easier to get the cleaning accomplished. True, the water will cool as it contacts the carpet. But I'd rather have the advantage of cleaning with warm, very warm, or even hot water - over cleaning with cold water.

But since we're talking about encap. Temperature is not the biggest slice of the TACT pie. Agitation is the major muscle for encap.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom