How confident are you in your carpet protector?

Discussion in 'the CleAn Room' started by Mikey P, Aug 24, 2017.

By Mikey P on Aug 24, 2017 at 11:29 AM
  1. Mikey P
    Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
    Mike Pay-oh-tay
    What brand do you use?
    How and when do you apply it?
    How long have you been using this product?
    Any complaints?
    Do clients insist you reapply with every cleaning because they see the benefit?
    What promises are made to the client?
    Any guarantee?
    Have you tested it in your own home?
    Would you sell it to your mother or pastor?

Comments

Discussion in 'the CleAn Room' started by Mikey P, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Tom Forsythe
      Tom Forsythe

7 areas - product A - control- product B - control - Advanced Protector with Teflon-control-Maxim Advanced Total - 4 product areas and 3 control areas
      hogjowl likes this.
    2. Bob Pruitt
      Bob Pruitt

Name:
      Robert Pruitt
      How did the Maxim Advanced do? It's unclear looking at this with my phone. Maxim Advanced is solvent based so did it attract soil? @scottw
      hogjowl likes this.
      Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    3. sOOper hero
      sOOper hero

Number 5

Name:
      Larry Capitoni

Understood, Tom

But people and cleaners live and work in the "real world"
      Not a lab where all variables are controlled under ideal conditions

To quote movie line,

"There's the way it ought to be, and the way it is"

Lta
    4. scottw
      scottw

Supportive Member

Name:
      Scott Warrington
      For whatever reason, the captions I typed in did not line up with the photo. It looked good on my screen before I clicked "Post Reply."

One each one the first column is a product with no fluoroprotector but different type of protector, followed by control with no protection, solvent based protector, control, Teflon, control, Maxim.

The red dotted lines divide the sections.
    5. Tom Forsythe
      Tom Forsythe

We have 5 Maxim Bridgepoint protectors: Advanced, Advanced for Wool, Advanced for Upholstery, Fine Fabric (solvent based and product B), and SOS (no fluorochemical developed for Australia initially and Product A). The better control you have of the variables listed in my previous post the better results you will have in the real world. The other variable that I did not mention is the level of protection in the carpet before cleaning. We give generic application rates. If a carpet has little protection left or was never protected then more protector should be applied. It is also better to apply more protector in the areas of traffic and use than in the corners and other places with little traffic.
      scottw likes this.
    6. scottw
      scottw

Supportive Member

Name:
      Scott Warrington
      Maxim Advanced is a water Based product. There is a Maxim Advanced for Upholstery that is solvent based.

The solvent based Maxim meant for upholstery is the third column from the left. It did attract soil.

The fifth column is Advanced with Teflon. The 7th column, the last full width column is the water based Maxim Advanced for carpet.

The Teflon product offered the best protection against resoiling on the polyester. The Maxim for carpet did the best against dry soil on the nylon carpet.
      Bob Pruitt likes this.
    7. Andy
      Andy

Name:
      Andrew
      I think your testing is flawed. Shouldn't all of your control pieces look the same after the testing?
    8. Tom Forsythe
      Tom Forsythe

There is a percent of error in every lab test ( every photo as well) which is why we sent to a third party so we would not be accused of jerryrigging the results in our favor. I have done this test a few hundred times over the years internally for my understanding, but have only reported publically tests done by a third party as it is hard to do precisely. You have to be precise in application of protector, in applying the soil, in removing loose soil after the test, and in determining the result. You can also measure light reflections in several areas of the samples which can give you a quantitative result as well. The color of the carpet also impacts the results as we had a white nylon and the lightest beige polyester we could find. Mikey, I apologize for taking over your thread. You may want to start a few more with less questions so that it does not appear as open ended as it became.
      scottw likes this.
    9. sOOper hero
      sOOper hero

Number 5

Name:
      Larry Capitoni

it's germane to the subject .
      and you don't come off as a "well formulated" carnival barker hawking wares out of a wagon... like some here

[​IMG]

and dare I say, we all like, respect and trust Scott

so tell Mikey to pi55off if he doesn't like it ...I would :icon_twisted:

..L.T.A.
    10. Mikey P
      Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
      Mike Pay-oh-tay
      What?

Tom can hijack any thread he wants.

He'll do it in style, unlike most.
      Scott S. likes this.
    11. Cleanworks
      Cleanworks

Name:
      Ron Marriott
      The truth is all top quality carpet protectors work if they are applied properly over freshly cleaned carpet. If you don't carry them, you are depriving your customers of a serious benefit and losing money at the same time. I hated selling protector when I worked for other people and am a little hesitant selling it to my customers because I don't want to be that high pressure guy. At the same time, I know it works and do sell it where I see it will be a benefit to the customer. I really should sell more. Working on it.
      Russ T., scottw and Bob Pruitt like this.
    12. Ofer Kolton
      Ofer Kolton

Name:
      Ofer Kolton
      While we are at it Scott and Tom.
      For upholstery which of your products is better. I can't quite understand from your site.

The water based Maxim Advanced supposedly has more flexibility and will endure more. In that case why would I use the solvent based one?
      So which one of them do you recommend, or which one for what circumstances?

I use the water based "maxim advanced" and so far , as far as applying, it worked quite well. But it takes a long time till we get actual stain resistance feedback.
    13. Larry Cobb
      Larry Cobb

Supportive Member

Name:
      Larry Cobb
      We believe in our protectors . . .

Several of our customers do almost exclusively, protection work on fabrics & carpets.

Some of them have been treating various roll goods for over 20 years.

As J.R. Webster, PhD in the IICRC journal mentioned,
      carpet manufacturers depend on fluorochemical protectors,
      to prevent premature degradation of carpet fibers.
      http://www.iicrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/The_Journal_Cover.pdf

Finally, Dynachem protectors offer a better protection to the customer,

with better value .
      Matt Wood likes this.
      Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    14. Tom Forsythe
      Tom Forsythe

For upholstery, oil repellency and water repellency are the key attributes that you want from a protector. Advanced Protector with Teflon works great with on synthetic upholstery. For natural fibers we offer our solvent- based Maxim Fine Fabric (available in 33 states) or our water based Maxim Advanced for Upholstery with Dye Loc.
      Jim Pemberton likes this.
    15. scottw
      scottw

Supportive Member

Name:
      Scott Warrington
      To restate Tom's comments on which protector to use on upholstery.

If there is no issue with the fabric being sensitive to water - Advanced with Teflon performs the best against body and hair oils. Maxim Advanced for Upholstery does pretty good.

If water can not be used on the fabric, Maxim Fine Fabric, a solvent based protector is the choice.

If the fabric is sensitive to water, Maxim Advanced for Upholstery with Dye-Loc can allow you to use a water-based protector with less worry about browning or bleeding. Many folks prefer the water-based over the solvent based for safety reasons or because of the odors associated with solvents.
      Scott S. and Jim Pemberton like this.
    16. Bob Pruitt
      Bob Pruitt

Name:
      Robert Pruitt
      Could you make it more complicated?
    17. Tom Forsythe
      Tom Forsythe

We do not manufacture the fabrics which provide the complications. We also do not pass Low VOC laws which limits the formulas and/or sales of solvent based protectors. I have observed over the years that generally the most expensive fabrics create more of the problems. These fabrics are not always color fast, shrink with water, and prone to texture change from cleaning. They also use silk, cotton chenilles, rayons, etc. Designers sell them for the look and not for practical living. Typically the synthetic blends sold to the masses are much easier to clean and protect. In short, if you want to be an upholstery expert you have to invest in training. We also have to invest in different products to meet your varied needs. Jim Pemberton's class would be one class that I would eagerly attend.
      Lee Stockwell, Cleanworks and scottw like this.
    18. Ofer Kolton
      Ofer Kolton

Name:
      Ofer Kolton
      Scott and Tom, thanks. You are making it really difficult to understand for those of us who actually buy your products.

You sell two products for protecting upholstery.
      1. "Maxim Advanced for upholstery with dye lock" (water based): https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=CP01GL
      2. And "Maxim Fine Fabric" (solvent based): https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=CP03GL
      I understand that the solvent based one is for fabrics that do not do well with water. Got it. Also that the water based ones will work for people that do not want solvent in their home. Understood.
      However:

1. If applied to water safe fabrics, which provides better protection, or for what kind of stains do they provide better protection?
      2. Given everything the same: Which will provide longer lasting protection. (will not rub off as soon)?
      3. Or anything else that can actually help us make an educated decision about which product to choose.
      4. Am I missing something?

And by the way Scott, the water based one has a pretty strong odor on its own. Not exactly "solventy" but pretty close. So I would not make odor the deciding factor between the two.
      Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    19. Jim Pemberton
      Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.

Name:
      Jim Pemberton
      I could...but I think your question was asked with a hint of irony Bob...so here is a way to simplify it:

I use Maxim Advanced for Upholstery on everything, natural and synthetic. If I have a very water sensitive fabric (the type that surely needs protection), I'll either do it in plant with multiple light applications with drying in between, or use a solvent based fabric protector, depending on the customer's degree of comfort with solvents.

That keeps it pretty simple.

I had a couple of fabrics embarrass me by bleeding to solvent based protector, so I test all fabrics with whatever I'm going to apply, especially when they cost more than my car.
    20. Ofer Kolton
      Ofer Kolton

Name:
      Ofer Kolton
      Thanks Jim.
      Any difference in how well they protect, the kind of protection (type of stains) they do better & the durability of protection (how long it resists abrasion, wears off) between the products?