How do you clean area rugs on site in the home?

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
If the floor underneath is tile your fine but do you throw plastic for wood floors or take it into the drive way?

Pain in the ass and I’m about to state that we don’t do area rugs on site anymore because I want to charge 125 for a 12x9 but the they see that you do 3 rugs in 10 minutes out in the driveway.

What do you do?

Mikey P

Administrator
Vacuum the back first...real slow

Roll her up and sweep or vacuum the floor

Roll out some Husky painters plastic and get her on top. Tuck in the excess underneath.

Vacuum the top excessively.

Hose her down with a wool safe juice. Scrub if needed.

Rinse away with Flex ICE..

Fans if need be.

Collect check with instructions to remove and dispose of complimentary tarp after 48 hours

Last edited:

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Like I said above I isn’t doing that for less than 125 a rug and it better not be the only service or I hit them with 175 minimum.

I would love to see someone video themselves doing on a 12x9 Machine tufted 1000 percent heavy ass wool rug.

In the sun they take 3 hours to dry how long would they take to dry sitting on a piece of plastic?

Name
Steve Lawrence
We do our best for them when they are cleanable--the real difficult ones usually have very soiled fringe or biological issues that involve the backing which is difficult to process on location. We recommend in-plant cleaning for those.

Last edited:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Ever since I got a callback to clean the fringes on a rug I cleaned on site...I reject doing any type of heavy rug cleaning, and send it off to a neighboring rug plant down the road.

I don't care if it's on carpet, wood, or tile, I just do a prevac, light prespray, and low psi cold water rinse. No tarp, no vacuuming on the back side, bleh! Keep in mind, I don't charge a $125minimum either. Just $1 sq ft. It's easier to make $45 that way, than bust your ass with frustration, trying to do a portable, in plant rug wash at $125

Make a quick, higher profited $45 so you can wrap it up to go to your next $450 job down the road

Reactions: Nomad74 and Jimmy L

CJ-FL

Name
CK-FL
If its woven we recommend in plant cleaning. If customer wants it done on site it's just cleaned at upholstery pressure (250 psi) for .50 a ft. Never "SUPPOSE" to be done on the wood. Usually taken to the patio, driveway, or another room in the the house with tile and/or carpet. I hate doing them on the driveway. Seems to always get gravel, etc.. on the back. You flip it over, now it's on the front. End up chasing your own tail. Much better to clean in plant

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
We explain to them that on location rug
Cleaning is just a light surface cleaning. If they want or need a deep full saturation cleaning we would have to take them to the plant at a higher cost.
We explain to them that we can't do the proper deep cleaning in the home because of the drying issue, possible mold growth due to slow drying, and we don't want to risk damaging their floor. In our plant we put the rug in a drying room, which speeds up the drying and avoids mold growth.
With the in plant cleaning we spend alot more time and often give the rug multiply cleanings.
The higher cost for rug cleaning vs regular carpet cleaning is due to the higher risk and insurance coat of providing that service.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Like I said above I isn’t doing that for less than 125 a rug and it better not be the only service or I hit them with 175 minimum.

This is America, Michael! Do it any flipping way you want...:rockon: You are the BOSS!

For us, I don't have the money to have Ms Smiths wood floors resanded. So, I simply roll the rug up, cut a piece of plastic/viscane to fit under the rug, put the rug on the plastic and unroll(the rug)......:biggrin:

Ms Smith when the rug is dry throw out the plastic.

Cleaning rugs on a wood floor is just asking for big bills, whatever psi you are cleaning at. Buy some plastic, it's like 45 bucks for a 100' roll. Have the client pay for it if your cheap.

Reactions: Kenny Hayes

steve_64

I will only skim over area rugs in house. I explain about the tight nap compared to carpet and it's $50 even for a 4x6 or $150 to take it and put wash it.
Some say that's what they paid for it so I just make it a little cleaner looking. Some have me take it.

The key imo is that the customer has confidence in you.

sassyotto

Name
Paul
good topic! We have over 150,000 population in the Fox Cities and Green Bay is 3o miles away with another 100,000. nearest rug plant is in Milwaukee which is 90 miles away!

Looks like an opportunity!

but where do I start?

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
Same as Matt and Jimmy and a few other hacks. Vacuum, prespray with Procyon, clean with low pressure and collect a few extra bucks. I gave up toting 100 lb. rugs years ago. If it's urine soaked I refer them to a local rug dealer with a rug pool to float them in.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
I personally dont if If I can help it do area rugs on site

But if you choose to wouldn't you just take the extra steps and price it accordingly like any of your other services?

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
All the rugs in Florida are over tile. Some are very large. Many are in bedrooms with king or queen sized beds over them. I do them all in place. Prices start a a dollar a foot and go to three a foot. Mostly rugs, tile and upholstery cleaning here.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
All the rugs in Florida are over tile. Some are very large. Many are in bedrooms with king or queen sized beds over them. I do them all in place. Prices start a a dollar a foot and go to three a foot. Mostly rugs, tile and upholstery cleaning here.
In your situation I'd probably do onsite too

Here we love our carpet, wood and tile floors are mainly in kitchens or bathrooms.
Not uncommon to walk into a lounge and see a large area rug sitting on top of wall to wall carpet

Reactions: Bob Pruitt

CJ-FL

Name
CK-FL
Tons of laminate as well though

Mikey P

Administrator
I find it very amusing to see rug fags get all bent out of shape when the idea of improving a rugs appearance in the home is discussed.

If the customer insists that it be done in home and it's a bleeder, shrinker or a texture risk, Compound is a KILLER alternative.

Does it look and smell better?
Did soil get removed?

All that matters to many.

Back
Top Bottom