How do you clean area rugs on site in the home?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I cleaned a bleeder and two viscose rugs at a rug plant Saturday. All three could have been immersion cleaned, but with absorbent compound there was no need to do texture restoration, no browning remedies were needed, nor any fringe restoration from dye bleed.

That's not to say all three would have had these problems. And this place has a skilled tech who could fix the problems if they occurred.

But they didn't need to, and for them, that was a win.

I would not use this system for anything urine damaged, of course.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
I have a rug plant. I also have an on-location cleaning service. The rug's construction and the customer's wish will be taken into consideration as to whether we will top clean for appearance maintenance. 90% of the time, the rug is being picked up and coming with us to our in-plant operation. We do wholesale work for local cleaners to give them that option too.

Reactions: Cleanworks

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I pushed the customer twice to gave a rug company pick up the rug and have it washned-machined but they really insisted I clean it at their house. So I met them in the middle, I hosed them down in the driveway.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
I pushed the customer twice to gave a rug company pick up the rug and have it washned-machined but they really insisted I clean it at their house. So I met them in the middle, I hosed them down in the driveway.

Here is an alternative: Buy our Show Trailer and impress them in the driveway.

The plant on wheels is being offered complete with duster, wash tub, rug hanging system and small centrifuge. The big gas powered generator powers the whole thing. (It even has a killer sound system and P.A. system!) $95K takes all.

1910059_973677436047872_4811981215170052146_n.jpg
12548987_972741719474777_6416517112351667515_n.jpg
16114514_1253179871430959_222658925741159153_n.jpg
16195094_1256899467725666_6632580062202529764_n.jpg

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
good topic! We have over 150,000 population in the Fox Cities and Green Bay is 3o miles away with another 100,000. nearest rug plant is in Milwaukee which is 90 miles away!

Looks like an opportunity!

but where do I start?

If you have no competition in rug washing for 90 miles, it is time for you to consider a small rug washing shop. Start with a hands-on class. Our next one is in San Diego Nov 7th - 9th.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
In addition consider this:

Why not plan a fall trip and wash with some of the best? There is a week long event that starts October 15 &16 by enrolling in a paid intermediate training course provided by ARCS, followed by 2 days of the Rug Summit 12 rug business building conference held on October 17 & 18. The next day following is a ARCS Skills day on the 19th (Nominal fee covers beer and lunch), and then Saturday the 20th is a wash day at no cost.

You will see two starbursts on the homepage that will take you to a description and sign up form for all the events.

Host is Robert Mann Rugs in Denver Colorado USA.

Reactions: Bob Pruitt

Tom Forsythe

It was good to see a common sense post about cleaning rugs on site without the usual attempts of trying to guilt cleaners in only using the best method. Always start with good vacuuming front and back. Then you have options for a good cleaning (Encapsulation and/or Brush Pro Powder on site or off site) vs a better cleaning ( extraction on site or off site) vs a best cleaning (pit wash or plant generally offsite to control drying). There is a market for all three types of cleaning. Most area rugs being purchased today are inexpensive where the onsite good and better cleaning are the only viable economic cleanings. Why would a consumer pay for a best cleaning when they can replace the rug for less than that cleaning? I had a rug pit washed at a rug class years ago and did not tell my family. They could tell it was cleaned, but did not notice that it was a better cleaning ( I could tell, but I value cleaning) than my previous encapuslation and extraction results. A lot of consumers can see that rugs are clean but may not see or value the difference between a good cleaning and the best cleaning.

I am also not opposed to Encapuclean DS with Maxim (adds dye blocker) as an interim maintenance system along with the Brush Pro powder. The Wool Perfect pre-spray and Wool Zone rinse was designed for hot water extraction. Wool Perfect is also an excellent choice as the pre-spray in a pit wash system.

However, there are rugs and certain issues with rugs that should not be cleaned on site like bleeders, urine issues, etc. Cleaners should know their limitations and pass on some jobs or take them off site to a rug washer. When in doubt sub it out.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
To dry the rugs I just left them in the sun 103 degrees that day I believe, for about 3 hours alternatively drying the back half than the other half while settting up to clean both sides of the home.

Backing was dry and it felt dry to the touch before leaving but told the customer to let it cook a few more hours before bringing it back in.

But do understand that most customers won’t/can’t do this and that is why I don’t want it clean on site anymore.

Last edited:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
It was good to see a common sense post about cleaning rugs on site without the usual attempts of trying to guilt cleaners in only using the best method. Always start with good vacuuming front and back. Then you have options for a good cleaning (Encapsulation and/or Brush Pro Powder on site or off site) vs a better cleaning ( extraction on site or off site) vs a best cleaning (pit wash or plant generally offsite to control drying). There is a market for all three types of cleaning. Most area rugs being purchased today are inexpensive where the onsite good and better cleaning are the only viable economic cleanings. Why would a consumer pay for a best cleaning when they can replace the rug for less than that cleaning? I had a rug pit washed at a rug class years ago and did not tell my family. They could tell it was cleaned, but did not notice that it was a better cleaning ( I could tell, but I value cleaning) than my previous encapuslation and extraction results. A lot of consumers can see that rugs are clean but may not see or value the difference between a good cleaning and the best cleaning.

I am also not opposed to Encapuclean DS with Maxim (adds dye blocker) as an interim maintenance system along with the Brush Pro powder. The Wool Perfect pre-spray and Wool Zone rinse was designed for hot water extraction. Wool Perfect is also an excellent choice as the pre-spray in a pit wash system.

However, there are rugs and certain issues with rugs that should not be cleaned on site like bleeders, urine issues, etc. Cleaners should know their limitations and pass on some jobs or take them off site to a rug washer. When in doubt sub it out.
I was definitely in doubt with a rug last week from a customer, and I just subbed it out for the first time from one of my neighboring rug sucker companies. I look forward to seeing how much better it looks from a rug plant vs a driveway plant

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
For those who clean Rayon/Viscose on location:

1) Do you use encap as a pre-spray and compound or just compound?

I clean plenty on location, yet viscose I only clean with compound, as I am concerned about using any sort of pre-spray prior for fear of pile distortion?

2) When cleaning on location, I do not clean fringes. Do you?

Last edited:

Tom Forsythe

For those that are cleaning viscose with only Brush Pro powder, are you happy with the results? Or are you happy that you did not have to buy it and got paid enough for the effort with the customer being satisfied with the results? How many return visits do you get from viscose owners?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
The ones I did (not many) I cleaned just with compound. Can't say I was delighted with the results, though in all honesty they were dark and it was hard to tell.
I always pre-qualify, so no unpaid return visits.

Reactions: Bob Pruitt

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
For those that are cleaning viscose with only Brush Pro powder, are you happy with the results? Or are you happy that you did not have to buy it and got paid enough for the effort with the customer being satisfied with the results? How many return visits do you get from viscose owners?

I have to first say that I have a somewhat strong prejudice against dry compound, and a somewhat milder, but still real, distaste for using HWE on location with area rugs.

With those prejudices and distastes in mind, I was impressed with the results on one of the viscose rugs, and the wool bleeder. The white areas came out white as snow, and the colors were vibrant. On the other viscose rug, it looked much like it did before, but it wasn't visibly soiled before either. It has crushed areas from being carelessly folded which did not come out either.

The only other negative part to me was some difficulty completely removing the compound; it took three vacuumings (front, back, then front again).

But from a time and headache point of view, they were completed much faster than would they would normally have been in plant.

I have a lot more testing to do before I can be completely satisfied, but so far so good.

Reactions: T Monahan

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
It's all about context and skillsets. There are risks on site that make it often not worth the effort.

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
I have OPed on site. But runners,, Not large rugs.. Possibly investment quality rugs.. I do not know!!!
But housecleaner insisted(not owner of home) The ones I did were wool , oriental runners on tile. I used a stepson on my hands and knees with absorbant bonnets.
Larger one there were a lot of sisal on wood, I declined. My laarger OP machine whne used on those on hard surface really vibrated too much. I was aftaid of marring the wood. I did do some spot cleaning for spills, on them with the stepson . Had to get aggressive with the chemistry on a few. Those I put plastic drop cloths under. Instructing the cleaner to remove the plastic after it was dry.
(the homeowner was adamant about not sending anythin out.)
Their numerous fake flokatis that were pet stained I refused , and refused. Finally I talked them into letting me take them with me to get a few estimates for ofsite.. All were way way more than they would have paid. These were 6 ft. round modern Crate and Barrel. with the face fiber at least 6 inches long. No secondary back. I could poke my finger through the backing..

I did take them outside and shook beat them out . These were from a young girls room, so you can imaging all the pins / coins/ jewelry etc I got out that way. Tried to clean just a few small areas that were more intensely stained from the pets.
And while I had them I attemped at home cleaning them. Luckily I did no harm!!!
I tried severa things , including Uturn , cti stain magic for wool. etc. Never did get them all the way back to the almost white.
I have pics but can not figure out how to get them on here!!!

I had numerou times advised her( with a wink) to take them out backand toss them into the pool for a while. Then lay them out in the sun on the tennis court. !!!

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I have to first say that I have a somewhat strong prejudice against dry compound, and a somewhat milder, but still real, distaste for using HWE on location with area rugs.
What I have found with dry compound, is that you have to let it dry for up to an hour before you can really successfully vacuum it out. I dislike using it on viscose as I have caused as much texture distortion as with hwe. I have successfully cleaned viscose rugs using hwe and when I say hwe, I really mean cwe. I only use cold to warm water on viscose. It appears to be, that not only the method but also the manufacture of the rug, that determines whether or not it can be cleaned without damage. I have shampooed viscose with a 175 using fine fabric shampoo and rinsed and it has looked great. I have done exactly the same with others and they have looked terrible. That's why we only do viscose at the customers risk and yes they have to pay me even if the rug is damaged.
With those prejudices and distastes in mind, I was impressed with the results on one of the viscose rugs, and the wool bleeder. The white areas came out white as snow, and the colors were vibrant. On the other viscose rug, it looked much like it did before, but it wasn't visibly soiled before either. It has crushed areas from being carelessly folded which did not come out either.

The only other negative part to me was some difficulty completely removing the compound; it took three vacuumings (front, back, then front again).

But from a time and headache point of view, they were completed much faster than would they would normally have been in plant.

I have a lot more testing to do before I can be completely satisfied, but so far so good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom