How do you go about fireing someone?

Mikey P

Administrator
I have to let my helper go.

He's a great KID and I care for him immensely but he is nowhere near mature enough to do the job. After having him for a year I can see it's going nowhere.

He cant be trusted on his own basically.

I need a trustworthy adult to grow my company and I think I've found him.

He needs the job desperately but he also needs to grow up and I hope that his firing is a good kick in the pants.

I'm not sure how to word it with out it getting real ugly.

Brian L

Name
Brian L
Where is your helper living at the moment?

Don't expect any free food when you drive past his mom's place.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Mike, if I remember one of your posts, he is or lived with you?. Sounds like letting a family member go, that's a tough one. Have you previously warned him, does he know he's screwing up, does he know what's expected of him?.

Albert

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
This sucks and basically there is no easy answer. You have to tell him the truth. I am sure he is going to beg you not to let him go, but you cannot give in.

I hated doing this when I was in the trucking industry. You will feel bad for a while but will soon get over it.

It is what it is.

Time to move on.

G

Your buddy down the street wanted to hire him...so help him out.

Chad

Mikey P

Administrator
He has to know it's coming.

I have given him the "I need More " speech plenty in the last few months.

He has been sofa surfing since Tuesday after I gave him the boot.

He had plenty of time and opportunety to find a place but chose to sleep in on his day's off.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Tell him the truth, tactfully and honestly.

"kid, I like you, but your just not working out"

Hope you have your ducks in a row.
Does the Kingdom Hall have a legal defense fund for unfair labor relations?

Is your next new hire going to come from the same pool of losers?

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
"no, I went after your stash"

Right out of highschool, Like I did with ShaneTodd?

Or STOLE one from a general contractor, like i did with Cody?

..L.T.A.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Well, then I'd find a neutral place to tell him. Jose, despite all the warnings I still have not seen any improvements from you, you're giving me no other choice then to let you go. He knows he's screwing up so I doubt he'll be surprised. Don't say I'm sorry in the sentence that your firing him on. It's his fault not yours. Make sure you have all your stuff before final paycheck and lock the doors..LOL.

Albert

G

You know better than that pops..how is a guy suppose to get some puss with a moped?

Chad

G

Mike,

Firing someone is very hard. I have had to fire many people over the years. If you made up your mind do it right away. It is much harder on you now and after you will feel much relieved. You just need to be straight up with him.

There is a chance he will ask for another chance. If you have decided to let him go, don't let him talk you into giving it one more try. I've done that a few times and it never works out.

Good luck.

Dave

Brian L

Name
Brian L
I doubt you will ever find anyone that is willing to work as hard as you. If you had plans on having him do jobs on his own, I can see that he is not the right person for that. He is more of a "tell him what to do or get and he will do it." He is still a kid, and has the patience of a kid.

I love scotch.

Name
Lee Stockwell
You went and spoiled his Christmas!!...lol

He will only grow up when he is forced to. My sons all had to work elsewhere before coming back to work along side me. They are well on the way to running the show now. Neither is ever still in bed after 7am.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It's a lot easier when they are a complete idiot, then it's no big deal (actually every time it bothers me even when they deserve it).

In your case it would go something like this" I've been evaluating how things are going with your employment and this isn't anything personal, but I just think it would be in your best interest as well as that of the company if we part ways. I'm sorry it didn't work out and wish you the best of luck."
*Optional ending: "I hope you find something you're good at, because you're certainly not good at this you mofo!"

I never used the optional, but I sure wanted to many times!

Kansas is a right to work state so we can fire for no reason at all. I'm not sure of your state, so be careful, it may need to be documented very well to prevent a lawsuit.

Bob Foster

I like Richard's the best. I have in the past had to let people go. Offer to help him to find a job by suggesting ideas based on what you know his aptitude to be. "This is in your best interest - start the new year fresh and learn from you experience with me!"

Still a real crappy thing to have to do.

Russ Goddard

California is also a right to work state, but you still have to be careful.

Say what you have to say, matter-of-factly. Do not deviate from your script, do not say you're sorry. Ok to say "good luck" at the end if you want to.

A quote from "What Would Machiavelli Do?" by Stanley Bing:

"When they were gone, my former associates, I looked about me...and it was good. I thoroughly enjoy the absence of each and every one of them, every single day."

Firing is hard, but I always enjoyed their absence once it was done.

Jimbo

Maybe you can find him a position as a text-messenger.

Or you could send him the goodbye...it didn't work out...in a text message!

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
My employee that I have had for the last 4 months is really working out great. If the kid is not going to cut it you need to look out for #1. You need to have someone that can run a little when you are not around.

Good luck

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
What Richard said- let him keep his dignity and minimize chance of lawsuit by being kind vs angry. The weeks pay is nice, but if the t-shirts have your company name on them I would reconsider. Wouldn't want to risk him going out and acting inappropriately in them.

G

It's best not to go a year with somebody that you know won't make it.

3 months is long enough to see if they have potential.

Put new hires on a 3-6 month PROBATION period.
In Georgia,you can fire them for just about any reason during this time without recourse.

You can make it seem like you don't think the job's the best fit for them(their skills aren't being fully utilized) or something.
You know,like you have their best interest in mind.

Or you could just choke the shit out of him and bury him in the backyard.
(just an option)

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
It's never easy

It's never easy to let an employee go. I know you care about your employee Mike. And when you bring someone in as part of the family it is especially hard to cut them loose. I've had to do what you're doing a few times through the years and it is painful to me every single time.

The approach I've used goes like this...

1. Acknowledge them:
Bob I really love you. You're like a part of our family.

2. Explain your game plan:
As you know, we're trying to build the best carpet cleaning business in Aptos. In the next 5 years we plan to be ____ (describe your vision for your company). Paula and I depend on this business to support our family. Our lives depend on the success or failure of this business. [When you explain how this is affecting your family and the future of your business, it puts the discussion into a deeper perspective that the employee really can't object to.]

3. Explain how he's out of step with the game plan:
As I've told you on several occasions, you're not pulling your load. On _____ occasions I have spoken with you about this.

4. Get him to fire himself:
As you can see, at this point it's like fitting a square peg into a round whole. As much as I love you, at this point your employment with us is is affecting our business. (Repeat your position by paraphrasing the key points of #2 and #3 above.)

5. Drop the boom (gently
Restate what you said at the start - acknowledge that you care about him. And it really is killing you to have to let him go. But as we've discussed here, there really is no other option.

He knows he's been screwing up, so it shouldn't comes as a big surprise for him. In fact he may be surprised that you haven't done this sooner. It sounds like he's gotten too comfortable with the fact that Mikey is a sweet guy who will let him just slide by. That relationship is a disservice to your employee and to your company. Setting a new standard will be healthy for your company (i.e. "Mike's a great guy but he means business too"). And it will be that much easier for your next tech to maintain proper respect for your company.

Hope it goes smoothly Mike.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom