How do YOU handle your P.I.A.'s ?

-JB-

Name
JB
So, how do you handle your PIA (Pain In the Ass) clients?

We have recently noticed that any client that refers to herself as Mrs. John Q Piffelton III, it seems is always a PIA, especially if Mr. John Q Piffelton has been deceased for years, you are going to have your handsful.

Here's my issue-
We offer a 100% Money Back Guarantee as I'm sure many of you do (no I don't find people take advantage of it, it may help that we get all of our jobs by referral). So if we do work for a client that we will in all likelihood NOT satisfy no matter what, why would I want to take the job knowing full well going in that she will not allow herself to be satisfied ?

So how do you let her down easy ?

Yes, it would be nice to do the job and satisfy her, for some kind of feather in my cap, (remember the point of being in business is- to profit from it, not to make yourself feel good besides no one will take a feather as a form of payment on a bill will they?) but I am talking about a client with totally unrealistic expectations of not only what she should expect from us, but from life.
What good does it do to bust your ass for hours at her house only to have her call you and complain, or, "let you know about something" that no other client would have ever possibly noticed. As a rule if she has already been deemed a PIA before we even clean for her (we will mark the file as such) if/when she does call to complain we promptly offer a total refund- without question - just to be rid of her (obviously we will not service her again). Note I didn't say she was unjustified, she paid good money & she expects good service, fine, but perfection, no my dear, the only man who was ever perfect got crucified for it over 2000 years ago.

I just wonder how those of you that offer such a guarantee handle Mrs. John Q Piffelton III .

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Handle them like every other customer. Be firm about what you can and can't do, in a very calm manner. If she wants something you can't offer, give her a choice of things you can.

Listen to what she is concerned about, rephrase and repeat those concerns back to her, write them on your paperwork. Assure her that you're experienced in handling those things. Explain anything you will not be able to do, and if she insists politely tell her that you'd love to do the work, but you may not be the cleaning firm she is searching for.

A chronic complainer may be told that it's become obvious that we're not a good match for her needs and suggest she give another firm a try. Telling someone we won't work for them again is rare, but it has happened.

PS: Funny how polite they are when using a fictional name to try and place the next order.

GRHeacock

While this won't work for everyone, when I get someone new that I feel like is going to be a PIA type, as soon as I get that feeling, I ask for a cup of coffee, and sit down at a kitchen or dining table, and wait for the coffee, then ask for a cookie or something if she does not bring it on the first serving.

This puts them WAY off guard.

She thought she would tell me how things were going to be run. I think differently.

With her acting as hostess to me, the tables are sort of turned, and she can only be gracious.

We talk about other things than cleaning in the beginning. Then about the time the coffee is done, I get around to asking her how can I be of service. Never before.

The first time I had this brainstorm was some 30 years back. This lady used my services over 20 years, and her married daughters used my services too because they were impressed with how I had handled their Mom.

My point is- if you get the notion a customer can be a PIA, use a different tactic- do not give in to their pressure.

Asking for coffee, or even a glass of water puts them off stride, and it is tough to get back to their original notion of "I am gonna show this guy".

Gary

-JB-

Name
JB
Gary,

Now that's a different approach, I like it !
The funny thing is I use this in a different variation when selling Scotchgard. I always hand them a bottle of home-pro spotter and explain briefly how to use it, then explain the benefits to them of protectant applications, if I remember correctly it's the reciprocation factor, do something for them they will want to do something for you, hopefully spend more. believe that came from one of Joe Polish's earl works.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
fire the customer, that is the beauty of owning your own business, take advantage of the advantages, don't put up with shit, like you did when you worked for someone else. since I have started my business I have only had a handful of PIA customers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom