How far have you taken your education?

Education

• Total voters

Mikey P

Administrator
To advance your cleaning skills that is..

Participate in my stupid poll or not but what has been your PREFERRED way of educating yourself?

Especially when moving on from carpet cleaning to stone or rugs?

Beeks

Name
J.R.
In relationship to Oriental Rug Cleaning:

We have used a little bit of this and a little bit of that...Lisa Wagner's online course has been extremely helpful. We have talked to many of the gurus over the phone. Get a lot of good feedback in FB Rug groups as well.

Someone told me to start rugs when we first started our carpet clenaing business year ago, I didn't, its prolly the only thing that i regret not implementing right away. Im kicking myself for not starting rugs 5 years ago. Better late then never, rugs is where its at!

Just added a centrifuge and Versa Wash Floor this past month

Attachments

• IMG_1532.jpg
    IMG_1532.jpg
    924.1 KB · Views: 161
Reactions: cleanking

Neil E

Name
Neil E
I was under the impression that every bit of knowledge you'll ever need is right here on this board? Or was that just Mikey's way of trying to get a Lifetime Membership out of me? Sneaky.... :clap:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Being omnipotent I've found little need for formal education. :winky:

From the time I was a teen my father flew me all over the country to training classes. Back in those days the opportunity for training was infrequent and regional.

We've had many instructors come here and train us. We pay for online training regularly. We read trade mags and buy any pertinent industry related books. We still spend thousands a year training our people on top of in-house PowerPoint training presentations.

It's a pretty fluid industry, techniques and procedures change. What you learned 10 years ago may not be a relevant as you thought.

Reactions: J Scott W
F

FB7777

Good for you Chavez

I'm going out as a dinosaur...

An uneducated dinosaur with a fat stack

Mikey P

Administrator
Being omnipotent I've found little need for formal education. :winky:

From the time I was a teen my father flew me all over the country to training classes. Back in those days the opportunity for training was infrequent and regional.

We've had many instructors come here and train us. We pay for online training regularly. We read trade mags and buy any pertinent industry related books. We still spend thousands a year training our people on top of in-house PowerPoint training presentations.

It's a pretty fluid industry, techniques and procedures change. What you learned 10 years ago may not be a relevant as you thought.

Just think of all the stains you've left behind that you could have got out with that bar of soap, idiot

Reactions: SamIam

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Radar says " Slip it inside.......fly low...........go with the flow"

Reactions: Neil E
F

FB7777

Radar says " Slip it inside.......fly low...........go with the flow"
When discussing The Shawshank Redemption, many people either choose Red or Andy as their favorite characters

I'm guessing you liked the sisters

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
The IICRC classes I took before I started in this business were excellent. I have taken classes from Steve Andrews and Doug Bowles and they taught me enough to keep me from destroying anything. I also used to spend countless hours on the ICS board then this board after Mikey got kicked off ICS and struck out on his own. It's hard to put a price on the knowledge I have gained and continue to gain from all of the masters who have shared their wisdom on these boards over the years. Someday when I reach guru status hopefully I can do the same for newbies trying to make it in this great industry.

steve_64

I was under the impression that every bit of knowledge you'll ever need is right here on this board? Or was that just Mikey's way of trying to get a Lifetime Membership out of me? Sneaky.... :clap:
Fels is all you need to know. I think.

Reactions: Neil E

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
I have taken classes that I thought would be useful. Most are a waste of time and the guys I see walking around with their jackets loaded with IICRC patches are usually ... Marty? Idiots. I've been using Marty's word a lot today.
The valuable knowledge I got ... and some of it was wrong... was the Ed York SCT information and whatever he called his Fests.
Currently though this board is a place to gain nuggets of good information. I bought a bar of Fels to try...as an example.
The Mikey Fests are good as well because you can learn something from anyone. I ask lots of questions after the classes while guards are down and people are hanging out.
FB isn't really about learning anything. The format is wrong for that. I go to Cleaners C because I like Courtney and Chandler. They are doing a good job helping guys there even though some don't appreciate it. Both guys are good in their chosen markets and are entertaining.
Youtube can be a place to learn. Mark Saiger

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
I have paid a pretty penny to gain knowledge from Lisa Wagner, Jim Pemberton, Ellen Amirkhan and Aaron Groseclose. I do not regret it one bit. All have been valuable consultants as I come across real life situations that require an expert. Very rarely can you read a book or take a class to replace experience that these gurus have. Having been to their classes, they all respond themselves to any questions. Often, they have already given me the answer through their teaching, but it so comforting to know that I can call or email them when it hits the fan.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom