How Much Employee Responsibility

Discussion in 'Lets talk Business!' started by Monique, Dec 22, 2017.

1. The Great Oz
    The Great Oz

Name:
    bryan
    Every tech would prefer to do a job that had accurate previous notes attached. A tech complaining that it takes too much time to take measurements? BS. They don't take notes because they're lazy, and because you let them get away with it using that cheap excuse. That's like guys saying they don't mention stain protectant because it takes too much time to apply.

A laser tape that does area calculations runs between $25 and $65 and can help even the most inept tech get with the program. I'd suggest giving one to any tech that can do their paperwork correctly for two weeks. That should be enough time to make doing things correctly the new habit.
    Cleanworks likes this.
  2. Newman
    Newman

Name:
    Chris Newman
    It helps my OCD.
    steve_64 likes this.
  3. Russ T.
    Russ T.

Supportive Member

Name:
    Russ Terhaar
    I’m not sure the bottleneck is at the measurement step.

It’s the data entry that’s the problem, on SM Mobile anyway.

I can MEASURE most homes we clean in 5 minutes with a laser measuring tool.

It’s getting those measurements in the software and having it look pro and be meaningful for the customer that has been the challenge.

SM Mobile is really cumbersome on a tablet in a customers home. This is the problem I’ve experienced for years now.

I believe it’s being dealt with in Technician.

I really hope so.

Be careful calling a tech lazy when they may be wrestling with a bottleneck that we’re not familiar with.
    steve_64 and Lee Stockwell like this.
  4. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    Bryan, do you have a laser measurer that you recommend? I have a Bosch digital device but no calculator. Usually, I use a rollatape and a calculator. Average 2000 sqft job takes about 15 minutes to measure and calculate. By then, the customer has the coffee on.
  5. Lee Stockwell
    Lee Stockwell

FOJL

Name:
    Lee Stockwell
    Roll a tapes are notoriously inaccurate(short). I've had dozens of them and I sure don't miss the dog and pony show.
    Russ T. and steve_64 like this.
  6. Newman
    Newman

Name:
    Chris Newman
    Yes, the work order data entry is slow in SM mobile, we do not do that with the customer present.

In the field we have a 2 man team. When measuring / quoting, one guy measures and the other enters the room dimension data on a notepad on the cell phone and calculates the total. The techs then build the work order in SM mobile whilst the job is being done.
    Russ T. likes this.
  7. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    I have compared my newest roll a tape (the dual wheel one) to my bosch digital laser. It's accurate to within a few inches. I'll recheck it when it gets a little more use. I usually rough the estimate up or down a little depending on what I am doing. Pin point accuracy is not always necessary.
    Old Coastie likes this.
  8. Lee Stockwell
    Lee Stockwell

FOJL

Name:
    Lee Stockwell
    Measuring 300' long hallways I've had 30' difference each direction depending on the bias of the carpet.
  9. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    That's a lot. I don't recall having that kind of difference on mine. I don't do a lot of 300 ft halls, more like 150-200. I have had a difference of 3-4 feet, measuring in different directions. I think the 2 wheeled one may be a little more accurate because of its weight. The only downfall to it is they built in a kickstand that gets in the way when you want to start from the wall out.
  10. Russ T.
    Russ T.

Supportive Member

Name:
    Russ Terhaar
    I used the wheel kind for years and it’s pretty accurate for residential but the laser is faster, more accurate, and more professional.

I have 2 different kinds from Bosch. There’s the small entry level one that only measures up to 35 feet. The screen is not backlit and it doesn’t do the calculations for me but it’s great for most residential.

I’ve got the bigger Bosch too. I think it will measure out past 100 ft., the screen is backlit (somewhat important feature to me), and it will do area calculations for you.

Either is a great choice for the residential carpet cleaner.
  11. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    I have been trying the laser but there are certain situations where it is not practical. I was in a large condo the other day, about 2000 sqft. over all. Trying to measure the hallways, there are windows at the end and the laser wont bounce off enough and going to the other end, there is no wall where the hallway ends and the living room begins. It will take me while to get the hang of it I suppose. I find the roll a tape fast and easy. Probably, just hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
    Russ T. likes this.
  12. Lee Stockwell
    Lee Stockwell

FOJL

Name:
    Lee Stockwell
    While you're fiddling measuring calculating and entering "data", we are cleaning the 2nd room already.
    steve_64 likes this.
  13. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    Yup, i'm still having coffee with the customer.
  14. steve_64
    steve_64

Place a target like a presprayer or something where you need to measure to when you don't have anything to aim at.
    Cleanworks likes this.
  15. hogjowl
    hogjowl

@

Name:
    Marty Sutley
    That’s because your Carpet isn’t biased
    Cleanworks likes this.
  16. Mikey P
    Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
    Mike Pay-oh-tay

You mean your helper kid is and you're having coffee or bourbon with the home owner, right?
    Lee Stockwell likes this.
  17. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    Now, the only way to drink coffee in Kentucky is with a little bourbon.
  18. The Great Oz
    The Great Oz

Name:
    bryan
    Bryan, do you have a laser measurer that you recommend?

Bosch GLM 35. Simple and tough.

I get the concept of difficult date entry, as the system we're replacing may be the worst anyone has ever seen. The new system will work like a website; very little typing, almost everything being entered by poking multiple choice buttons.
    Cleanworks likes this.
  19. Cleanworks
    Cleanworks

Name:
    Ron Marriott
    I think it's the one I have.
  20. The Great Oz
    The Great Oz

Name:
    bryan
    Russ, Thanks for letting me know about the difficulty of data entry being a problem. We understand that the system we're replacing is too cumbersome to ask the techs use it, so they keep notes on paper and the office staff does the entry. If that's the issue with SM, it could be the entire problem.
    Russ T. likes this.