How much fuel do you really use while cleaning?

Bob Foster

Many numbers are bantered about. But how many of you actually know how much fuel per hour you use while actually cleaning (not driving to and from a job)?

Tell us what you are running for a plant
CDS or slide in and what brand?
RPM
Gas or Diesel or Propane

If you are using a propane heater how much propane are you using?

How much do you pay for propane?
How big a propane tank do you have?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Yes i do......I use .8 of a gal / running hour......i've sED this before..many times...by taking the Fuel Injection off my 302's and putting a re-jetted down small 2 bl carb on...i can do this all day long.......!

Of course when ya pull the BRAIN outta the van, you must also put an AOD trans in so i wouldn't advise any of yous amateur mechanics to attemt this!

I'm still waiting for Crapatoni to bring MY $100.00 bill up here!

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
It is pretty hard to get a accurate number
If you have a job that is large and you calculate off of it you can come close.........
At one of my dealerships the truck set and ran for 7 hours....
I filled the tank up right before I got there and used less then a half of a tank of gas.......

I refilled after I was done and calculated the machine hours and the mileage to the house and it all came out to about what Vortex reports it should be....Approx $5.50 per machine hour..........Based on the $2.809 per gal of gas....so for that day it cost me approx $35.00 in fuel

we have tracked-our gas mileage ever since we started the business and the CDS and the Vortex are pretty close to being the same.....

Vortex being diesel and the CDS unleaded.......

TimP

I have a cds 4.8 with the 6.0 engine that has drive by wire system. I would say between 1.5 and 2 gph. I can't say exactly because I've never did just one job and filled up to test but the best I can tell it is closer to the 1.5 like hydramaster advertises. I can clean pretty well all day for 2 days then fill up driving included about 24-27 gallons. I did clean for 10-11 hours one day and drove 200 miles on one tank.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Bob;

We build a variety of TM's and have checked some fuel consumption levels.

This is what we found:

24 HP Honda with 4MP Blower - 1.3 GPH

34 HP Kohler with 4MP Blower - 1.6 GPH

38 HP Kohler with 5MP Blower - 1.85 GPH

It also depends on the RPM operated at, but these were our test results.

Larry Cobb

DevilDog

I have a Genesis 59, the Ford version. It makes me ill thinking and knowing what I pay for gas.

Even at relatively low rpm's, usually around 2300 to 2400 we are using about 2.5 gallons an hour. At roughly $3.00 a gallon we are spending a minimum of $7.50 an hour to run the machine.

May not seem like a lot, but it ads up FAST!

And of course I drive a Ford E350 Superduty that has a Triton V10 in it. I am usually naseous by the time I get to the clients driveway.

DevilDog

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
bob vawter said:
Y

I'm still waiting for Crapatoni to bring MY $100.00 bill up here!

LIAR LIAR LIAR

Do I have to do a Nava search and show all the peeps here the lame excuse you used as to why you did NOT want me to come up there?
(and take YOUR $100?)

.8gph I say you're full of bull.
The next job you have that's over 4 hours in length, I'll come up and take YOUR hunnert bukz, Pops

Ole Ben is right here in my wallet,

I was planing on steelie fishing this weekend, but I'll come up there and catch a Big Tuna if you got a lg com job scheduled.

......................................................................................................

Sorry Bob F.
back to your question.
25hp Kohler in my Powermatic.
At 2900 rpm, pulling 12hg, she uses 1 to 1.1 gph
I've since bumped everything up and now run 3100 to 3200 pulling 14hg.
She burns right around 1.3 to 1.4gph.

really don't have any accurate fuel usage for the 231,000btu kero heater.
I'd "estimate" we use a gal or so per 4 machine hours.
average sol temp of 220-230 w/09 flow jets @ 400 psi

...L.T.A.

Greenie

wow...them big block Kohlers suck gas like the 4 cyl. jobbers, or the 8 Cyl running at Direct Drive speeds.

Guess it's just a cost of doing business, I guess the real question is who's $5/hr turns the greatest net production?

R

R W

I'm right there with Todd Dog......2.5 to 3 gph with the Ford carbed Genesis 59. A lot of that figures out with dual wanding, so I am getting more cleaning per gallon per hour than it appears.

Dom Agostino

4 cylinder Deutz diesel, 56 blower, 1.5 liter per hour at 2000 rpm's.

Yeah, diesel around here is up to 3.49 per gallon, can't wait for winter to start and see where the price of diesel will end up.

Dom

Johnnyone

Larry Cobb said:
Bob;

We build a variety of TM's and have checked some fuel consumption levels.

This is what we found:

It also depends on the RPM operated at, but these were our test results.

Larry Cobb

Larry

What results did you get on the 31 hp kohler FI with 4 mp blower?
I run about 3200 RPM

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Bob Foster said:
Many numbers are bantered about. But how many of you actually know how much fuel per hour you use while actually cleaning (not driving to and from a job)?

Tell us what you are running for a plant
CDS or slide in and what brand?
RPM
Gas or Diesel or Propane

If you are using a propane heater how much propane are you using?

How much do you pay for propane?
How big a propane tank do you have?

I would say about 25 gallons. I use it as a pre-spray. Cheaper RTU than what those bastard distributors charge for chemicals!!!!!! :shock: :roll: :wink:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Like you know i posted on my board ..i has a big job tomorrow..the homeless shelter...come on up bring yor hunnert and you can hep me shoooo the bums aways from my truck.....

The Preacher

it's funny how Gary Heacock ran a Ball Weber and cleaned up with a astro van and RETIRED, but Tood sweats the small stuff??

Bob, are you gonna buy a Judson Propane unit or not???

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
2 gph with a 5.7 gmc PC PTO at $3.10 to $3.25 per gallon and about
13 mpg.

Does a engine use less fuel if it runs on propane? (New Judson unit) I know it's cleaner, but propane is almost $4.00 a gallon here.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Larry Cobb writes:

So my 302 V8 gets better GPH than yor slide-ins plus i don buy propane???

ODIN said:
none of you guy really have no idea in real world fuel you use

Trust me

you use alot more than you think you do

T

Start thinking Electric
the nordic 1 truck mount run's 0 gph now that's cool!

LES

Bob Foster

Danny, yes I am buying a propane unit. The one Les is revealing next week in Greenville is actually mine that he hijacked in transit.

RLitwin

I have a 7 gallon gas tank for my TM - it's in a trailer. I use 3-5 gallons a day. I average 4 hours a day on my TM. About a gallon per hour.

Bob Foster

Propane vs. Gas
Propane burns much cleaner and substantially extends the engine life.

Depending on where you live propane is much cheaper than gas. In Canada propane costs 60% of the price of gas.
http://www.mjervin.com/WPPS_Public.htm

There is higher octane in propane but it produces less BTUs. Propane internal combustion engines, if properly plumbed, are very energy efficient. Propane engines run on liquid propane and propane heaters run on propane vapor.

Propane exhaust emits far less pollution.

Becker

Name
Becker
I ran off a boat tank while I waited for my fuel tap to come in. Just over 1 gal per hour, 20 hp running at 3200-3300 rpm.

Between driving and work, I fill up every 3-4 days. But I normally work a pretty close in circle.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
HEY CRAPITOLYASO!!!

I'm doing my Homeless Shelter today..should take about 8 (eight) hours to do...my truck came in on fumes yesterday.....I gave Phil 30 (thirty) bucks for gas, this morning.......

will he finish it, or will I has ta pour in some of my emergency gas outta my can...?

Make the call!

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Dr. Phil;

Thanks for the realistic numbers on the PTO TM.

We've always thought the fuel consumption was about double that of a slide-in.

Larry Cobb

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I run a seperate tank as my truck is a diesel, i also keep a 1 gal spare tank of fuel so if I forget to fill the 13 gal tank and it runs out. a couple weeks ago I ran 70 minutes on 1 gal of fuel. 18hp briggs with a 36 blower in a BP saber so it looks like I am putting an extra an extra 12-15$ per job in my pocket compared to some here, I like that

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
So i'm guessin' that you guys don wanna pull the injection off them new trucks...huh?

If i build another truck...i will find a late model with a bad engine.....and pull the motor out and replace with my old school motor...

best of both worlds!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom