How to talk a customer out of cleaning!

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
I know my situation is different as I am direclty linked to a retail side of the store much like Ken Snow is and few others on board, but there have been many times when I will convince our customers to replace rather than clean. Granted you loose some customers, but we always seem to keep their business 95% of time.

My question is how do you convince your customers that they are at the point of replacement? (and if you say you have never encountered this, you are lying! :twisted: ) Do you do the right thing and tell her up front? Do you tell her you'll clean it and see what happens and try to get a little money out of her? Do you ignore the entire problem and just keep servicing your customer as long as she asks you to clean it? Only to end up doing a bajillion repairs and keep your hand in their back pocket?

Case in point for our company: today I turned down an $800.00 tile job that could have ballooned into a 1500-2000 regrout job on top of the cleaning. The problem was our customers had two problems. The tile that came with the house was installed poorly with stark white grout. At 6 years the grout looked terrible in traffic lanes and so a "handyman" colored the grout and did nothing to clean the grout first. It was not a color sealing system but rather a coloring only system that should have been sealed seperate.. it was not. He made a mess of a job and now 10 years later its wearing away. My test of a regular tile cleaner would remove the color sealer thus the need to color seal again but worse the grout is detereorating from the orginal install so cleaning would but alot of it out. And lord knows how well the tile was laid in the first place.. removing the old grout could show even more problems in this can worms.

So after discussing all of these concerns. I helped them conclude that purchasing a new tile all beit stone or porcelain, would be in their best interest.

I know there has to be stories out there. Lets hear them! :mrgreen:

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
DAAAAMMMMNNNN tough crowd... come one someone has to have some stories... or atleast willing to share how a customer forced you to take their money...???

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I get referrals from a carpet retailer. Often they will tell a customer to hold off on replacement and see if Mike can clean it. I try to send them some business when cleaning will not give satisfactory results. Sadly allot of Broke Dick Landlords want me to try to clean anyways. I’m getting better at spotting losing propositions but I guess I need to work on talking myself out of jobs :) .

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I had a similiar instance then your tile one just last evening. It was an estimate for marble restoration of about 800 sqft. They used sanded grout which is right for marble but the grout lines were 1/4". Much too wide for sanded grout. There was some areas that the grout has popped out. In talking to them they had stated that they had a few tiles repaired a year ago and the guy said that the backerboard did not have sufficient screws. It appears this combined with the wide grout joints is causing the problem.

I recommended replacement but he wants regrouting in the bad areas then a restoration. I'll write up the quote with a bunch of disclaimers that there may be more grout that pops up as well as tiles becomming loose from the grinding and honing. The other option will be just a pollish and repair which would be much less obtrusive.

Albert

royalkid

Supportive Member
Name
Gulf Coast Carpet Care
Dave,

I've been in many homes where the carpet was beyond cleaning. Most custy's already know this, but are hoping for a miracle? I explain to them that it's too worn, too damaged etc... for a cleaning to make a significant difference. Save the money and put it towards new carpet. I've had a few still request a cleaning...then i say, o.k., let's do 1 room and see how you feel, if they're happy, i go on, if not...Have a nice day. Custy's will love you for your honesty and appreciate you not going for the $$$.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I always try and offer clients self help when they have a problem stain.

Yes I prequalify what type of stain and if they are safe in attempting rectification rah rah rah the whole nine yards but like you say, you might loose a sale in the short term, but 95% of the time retian a client for the long term.

John

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
See aren't these warm and fuzzy stories!! Iseeru <---- What the hell does "Iseeru" mean? sorry back to our regular scheduled programing!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
we've declined to clean some carpets, though not very often
More often than not, it's due to sewage flood or severe urine contamination that the prospect thinks "just a cleaning" will take care of.

but I'd never tell a custy "it's not worth it" because of age/wear ..even if the backing is showing in spots.
and we do have a couple older custys with 45 year old nylon still down that's worn in spots to the backing.
If they can't afford, or choose not to relpace, that's none of my business ..
I see it as "even an old shirt needs washed"
cause we can still improve their environment regardless of condition..and that's our job .

The times I've recommended replacement is when the cost to restore gets in the 50% of replacement costs.
That's for quality goods that aren't worn thread bare
if it's an older, worn, and/or cheap light wt junk , I might suggest replacement at less than 50% of costs

either way, i always give them options and honest, upfront reasonable expectations on the options "they" can choose.
and I'm happy to give them what "they" want/choose .
cause I "know" that room full of thread bare, red stains, dog dander odor or Fi-Fi pee is going to be "better" with just a "basic" clean if I clean it as opposed to no cleaning at all....
or Speedy Squirt 'N Suck soaking it.

..L.T.A.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I'm with Larry on this one. Give the advise, which they probbly already know and let them decide. We never walk away from one unless there is a safety issue.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
See I knew I'd get some good answers... and on textiles/carpet I whole heartedly agree with what Larry said. However with bad tile jobs/wood jobs, when the customer expects miracles from cleaning, its time to reset their expectations and when you start looking at 2-3000 dollar very very possible cost over 675 sqft of Tile, then it becomes a better option to replace.

Back
Top Bottom