How was your 2016?

Discussion in 'the Bird Room' started by HydroDude, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Chris A
    Chris A

Name:
    Chris
    This year I started mailing monthly to our entire active database. By far the best ROI of any advertising I do, followed by Facebook and the Google
    Mikey P likes this.
  2. Matt Wood
    Matt Wood

Name:
    matt wood
    I'm in the same, if not worse, condition that you are with marketing to existing customers. Right after New Year's day, I'm gonna pull the trigger on SM's Fill My Schedule
    PrimaDonna and Pioneer Floorcare like this.
  3. Hoody
    Hoody

Supportive Member

Name:
    Steven Hoodlebrink
    Great year for the business but very difficult for me personally. I surpassed 2015's gross sales in September, expenses have stayed the same, all referral based work. Looking at the numbers I'm up 139.6% from 2015 and that is net profit. Did a late 4th quarter restructuring of the business to make way for 2017 plans and goals.

Personal wise it was difficult managing the business and helping my stepmom with her cancer battle. Watching her suffer and be sick really knocked the wind out of my sails at times. My dad is gone through the week driving truck so I took her to all of her many appointments including all day chemo appointments. Parents were drowning in debt from the medical bills they stopped looking at the statements when they came in. Dad has been trying to pay all of it and got them a little behind on their mortgage. While my stepmom was resting one day after chemo I got all of her medical bills added up and as a early-ish Christmas present I paid them all off.

I've only seen my dad cry a handful of times in my life but the tears of joy he shed when he opened up the newest statements was worth it. He didn't know it was me so he called me and told me "you're not going to believe this but someone paid off our medical bills" and I said yeah I know - Merry Christmas.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you to the wonderful people I get to work with who participate here. I'm happy to announce that my stepmom got the phone call on Thursday from the doctor that she is officially cancer-free. They'll re-check in 3 months, and then again bi-annually.

Looking forward to a better 2017 for me personally and hope you all have a great new year.
  4. Old Coastie
    Old Coastie

Supportive Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Steven, I can relate. I am glad you posted this and I wish you many blessings.
    Pioneer Floorcare likes this.
  5. GreenTechAgain
    GreenTechAgain

Name:
    Ross Martin
    '16 was better than '15, but not where I want/need it to be.

Two things I hope will add additional income this year.

Flooring sales and installation. I will do neither myself, just pass referrals for a fee. Pass them now, might as well get paid for them.

Real estate license. Considering becoming a referral agent. Same thing, I pass them now, might as well get paid for them. (Illegal for a RE agent to pay you anything unless you are licensed).

Kinda frustrating doing a $260.00 carpet cleaning and passing a multi-thousand dollar pay day to an RE listing agent.
    Matt Wood likes this.
  6. Papa Emeritas
    Papa Emeritas

Mr Personality

Name:
    Fred Boyle
    One thing to consider instead of referal fees is to seek one flooring agent and one RE agent to work with exclusively .

I have a sign in one flooring store and typically receive 2-4 jobs from that source. We refer them exclusively and I'm considering adding sales to our literature to improve the relationship

The realtor is a top 5% agency that provides closing offers to their clients and our sales offer is included ... $50 gift card for carpet, furniture or tile
  7. bob vawter
    bob vawter

Name:
    bob vawter
    Jus peachy...two more friends died plus a brother in law and a sister in law....
  8. Nomad74
    Nomad74

Supportive Member

Name:
    Damon
    2016 was a good growth year for me. But I ended it with the flu. Still fighting it. Man , I just want to get back to work!

IMG_3602.JPG
  9. Desk Jockey
    Desk Jockey

THE GREAT SANTINI

Name:
    Santini
    lol You're a fookin nut!

Hope you feel better Damon...cause you sure don't look like Tom Cruise. More like Pablo Cruise. :winky:
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    Mikey P likes this.
  10. Nomad74
    Nomad74

Supportive Member

Name:
    Damon
    I feel like Pablo Escobar the day he went down.
    Lee Stockwell and Desk Jockey like this.
  11. Nomad74
    Nomad74

Supportive Member

Name:
    Damon
    That better not make pic of the day!
    Papa Emeritas and hogjowl like this.
  12. Lee Stockwell
    Lee Stockwell

FOJL

Name:
    Lee Stockwell
    But at least you got your van back home.

What were the damages?
  13. Nomad74
    Nomad74

Supportive Member

Name:
    Damon
    Looks like the only damage was the pre exchanger. I dodged a major bullet. I ran it through a stress test and all seems to be okay. I just was going to go out and do 2 jobs today but my body wasn't hearing that. Maybe tomorrow. I'm lucky that my phone seems to be ringing when everyone is slow right now.

I turned down a booking today because the guy wanted me to treat his carpet with static guard. I don't offer that service so I referred him to my buddy Ivan. He said he keeps getting shocked when he walks around his house with a walker.

I have thought about offering this in the past, but honestly this was the first time I was asked.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  14. Lee Stockwell
    Lee Stockwell

FOJL

Name:
    Lee Stockwell
    He can do the same thing by running a humidifier when the RH gets too low.
    Desk Jockey and Nomad74 like this.
  15. Papa Emeritas
    Papa Emeritas

Mr Personality

Name:
    Fred Boyle
    You know Mikey better than that
    Lee Stockwell and Nomad74 like this.
  16. Nomad74
    Nomad74

Supportive Member

Name:
    Damon
    Lovely.......:hopeless:
    Mikey P likes this.
  17. Mikey P
    Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
    Mike Pay-oh-tay
    An Orbot will fix that lazy in eye in no time..
    Nomad74 likes this.