Royal Purple for the VATS

And this for the 370..
IMG_20170401_171928.jpg

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Where do you think I live?
It's the same weight as the 10w30. I've read that it stays on the cylinder walls better for the cold cranks, which is the time when the engine suffers wear the most. Does the manual say to use 10w30 on the west coast?

Mikey P

Administrator
The graph is all it gives me Matt

But I'm not on the coast, I'm on the east side of the Sierra at 4800 ft elevation. My working temps range from 15° to 105° through out the year, and on some occasions, the same day. :eekk:

Name
Ross Martin
I just put a new Kohler on my Judson.

The people who installed it insisted I DON"T use synthetic. (also only use Kohler oil filter, if not it may void my warranty)

Then I read the same thing in the manual.

Coming up on my first oil change.

What should I do? I'm inclined to use synthetic.

Name
jack zerkie
I just replaced my kohler same story so if you want the 3 year coverage do what they say after that it's up to you, My guys use a filter called rotary so thats what I will use for the 3 years. This new kohler performs better than the original. It had a oil leak at the shaft and I didn't get it fixed but this one is fine. jz.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas

The people who installed it insisted I DON"T use synthetic. (also only use Kohler oil filter, if not it may void my warranty)

You can use synthetic after the 50 hour break in.

Reactions: Mikey P

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I do steal from her purse once in awhile to get me some swisher sweets. And maybe a snickers.

Reactions: Old Coastie
Name
Jeff T
I run any, and all my motors on Amsoil...... They invented synthetics In the 70's..... Had an 45 year oil engineer tell me to do so.... Unless it is specifically indicated not to do so...... Change a little early, check levels often was his advice....... Served me well for the last 20 plus years..... I even convinced the construction company I used to work for to do the same......

Name
Jeff T

Regular oil helps to 'seat' the motor. After a break in time, I would use synthetic....... Goes to show you how great regular oil is......NOT.....

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
If you have and air cooled engine I would not recommend using synthetic oil. Engines that use synthetic oil will run hotter!

I prefer to use standard oil and change it often. 80-100 hrs on TM and 3000 miles on van. I do my own oil changes- its saves me time and money.

Reactions: Mark Von*Lay

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
If you have and air cooled engine I would not recommend using synthetic oil. Engines that use synthetic oil will run hotter!

I prefer to use standard oil and change it often. 80-100 hrs on TM and 3000 miles on van. I do my own oil changes- its saves me time and money.
How can you go over 75hrs on regular oil in an air cooled engine? I always went by the rule to change at 50hrs.

Reactions: hogjowl

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
How can you go over 75hrs on regular oil in an air cooled engine? I always went by the rule to change at 50hrs.

I have water cooled engines.
I learned not to use synthetic oil on my air cooled Yamaha scooter.
That's also were I learned synthetic oil doesn't cool the engine as well as regular oil. Also on older engines synthetic is too slippery and has more blow through-- which decreases compression.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
I should think the viscosity is engineered into the synthetic. Why would it be any more prone to blowthrough?

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
That's just what a mechanic told me. I do know my Dad is a fanatic about engine temperature and he discovered through testing that engines on synthetic oil run hotter.
Disclaimer-- this was in late 80's when this belief was made.. maybe things have improved, but I won't use synthetic oil.

Reactions: Old Coastie

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
so I decided to google the pros and cons about synthetic oil.
Given that my believe about Synthetic oil is based on info learned about 30 year ago and hoping that the makers of Synthetic oil would want to make their product better-- I'm going to give synthetic oil another chance on my next oil change. I know my TM behaves a certain undesirable way when its time for an oil change. Since Synthetics are advertised as being able to last longer between oil changes, I will wait longer to change the synthetic oil. If my TM starts to act up near the 100 hour mark I will know Synthetic oil is not for me. I would hope I could go 150-200 hours on synthetic.

I don't live in a cold nor hot climate--"google" says Synthetic oils perform better in cold weather-- so maybe synthetic should be used for most of you guys.

Name
Nate W.
An old gear head told me the synthetic oil available to everyday consumers are only up to 40% synthetic... The price of 100% synthetic oil is too expensive... Old time racer and a tech geek...

Half the stuff he talks about goes over my head

Mark Von*Lay

Name
Mark
Regular oil here.... I change often in van about every 2000 miles. And I don't care what it costs it's not an issue.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
so I decided to google the pros and cons about synthetic oil.
Given that my believe about Synthetic oil is based on info learned about 30 year ago and hoping that the makers of Synthetic oil would want to make their product better-- I'm going to give synthetic oil another chance on my next oil change. I know my TM behaves a certain undesirable way when its time for an oil change. Since Synthetics are advertised as being able to last longer between oil changes, I will wait longer to change the synthetic oil. If my TM starts to act up near the 100 hour mark I will know Synthetic oil is not for me. I would hope I could go 150-200 hours on synthetic.

I don't live in a cold nor hot climate--"google" says Synthetic oils perform better in cold weather-- so maybe synthetic should be used for most of you guys.
I wouldn't be concerned with how much longer it'll last between oil changes. I have a liquid cooled engine also, and I still use the rule of thumb to change every 50hrs. I know what you're describing when you're talking about how the engine "starts to act up". It starts getting louder and sounding rougher on cold cranks.
It's some MAJOR dangerous friction inside the engine due to the oil wearing down. And it's causing damage that I can't describe because that's where the little oil leaks, and internal burning of the oil starts.

Changing 3.5quarts of oil and an oil filter once a month is very cheap whether you use synthetic or normal motor oil. If you want your engine to last over 2000hrs, I suggest it.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
My money maker gets a home cooked meal every night. I make sure all the other "stuff" is taken care of so he can focus on being on the truck and doing his thing. Some times he gets a date night with me or a back rub if he's been especially good.

And our other "money maker' get's to go to trips with us, both work and fun. We watch his kids when he's stuck for childcare, feed him well (made him my famous ribs for dinner just last night), and treat him like family. He's loyal and does a great job representing us.

My "guys" are our most precious money makers. Could never do what we do or be where we are with out them!!! Thank you @MR CLEAN

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom