How would you clean this?

Bryan S. Bennett

Supportive Member
Name
Central Steamer Professional Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning
Here is a small area rug that Nick picked up from a customer the other day. she says it's supposed to be dry cleaned what are your thoughts and how would you clean this. I believe the fringes are made of cotton from a burn test I performed.

20150601_084457.jpg

Last edited:

Pat Muller

Name
Pat Muller
From the looks of it the piece is all cotton.
The colors will bleed if cleaned with high pH.
What is the soil load?

I recommend a dry foam shampoo using Chemspec Fast Dry Upholstery Shampoo. Mix the Shampoo and use a natural sponge to apply to the piece.
Dry extract and finish with a white towel to remove excess soil and moisture.

Name
Nate W.
Throw it in the washer on cold water..... Hang dry it and pray it no bleed...... :stir:

As @Pat Muller said, it looks like it's cotton... I'd test for bleeding first, then spray and extract it... Hang it and call it good.... Using that least amount of moisture....

Reactions: Bryan S. Bennett

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I agree with Pat. Looks like 100% cotton.

Check for color bleed. Check all the colors. Pretreat with Dye-Loc if any sign of bleeding. It may be able to be cleaned with extraction or use a low moisture method such as Oxy-Buff Cotton Shampoo.

Reactions: Bryan S. Bennett

Bryan S. Bennett

Supportive Member
Name
Central Steamer Professional Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning
Thanks everyone for your insights. It's only a 3 x 5. Definitely a cotton.

I looked more closely and yes the knots already show signs of migration. The customer paid $100 for this and she said the tag was dry clean only.

We won't clean this one but will return to the customer and have them deal with their dry cleaner directly, thus avoiding any liability.

Also thanks to Jim Pemberton for his input and sidebar recommendation.

The soil level was very light but the small things in life take the most time and give the most headaches.

In any case this is an excellent training opportunity for us.

Last edited:

Dmreed4311

Supportive Member
Name
David Reed
Thanks everyone for your insights. It's only a 3 x 5. Definitely a cotton.

I looked more closely and yes the knots already show signs of migration. The customer paid $100 for this and she said the tag was dry clean only.

We won't clean this one but will return to the customer and have them deal with their dry cleaner directly, thus avoiding any liability.

Also thanks to Jim Pemberton for his input and sidebar recommendation.

The soil level was very light but the small things in life take the most time and give the most headaches.

In any case this is an excellent training opportunity for us.
smart move, avoid the headache.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
That is a Woodard and Greenstein cotton reversible. Woven in India for use as a bed cover.

Enterprising Americans bought the right to exclusively import to the US in large rolls that are cut apart to make rugs. Heavily sell the concept of "American Classic" hand woven textile. (name the country of origin only in small print.) Sell for lots of money. Very popular in high end homes that want a "country" look. I was once told that "All of the homes in the Hamptons" had these.

It will bleed if washed. It might bleed if drycleaned. It would be expensive to replace. < Don't ask how I know so much about this rug type.

http://www.woodardweave.com/aboutus.html

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I always feel like the dumb kid in school that was put into the advanced kids' classroom by mistake when Bryan posts something...

But I do feel slightly smarter afterward...just slightly though

Reactions: Brian H

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
It's the Oz effect. Feel smarter, be more knowledgeable, yet develop a mild inferiority complex all for the same goodhearted free price.

Or is it syndrome? :winky:

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Yeah I really knew that, because we had to buy one. Maybe not so smart, eh?

Fortunately one of our association brothers does the shipping for W&G and was able to get us a replacement at cost.

They used to be popular here, but I haven't seen one in several years, so maybe the local designers wised up.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Thank you for sharing your experiences Bryan....

I think I speak for everyone here that having your knowledge and experience available to us is priceless

Reactions: Brian H

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom