How would you fix this grout mess?

Mikey P

Administrator
Black grout left in the faux pours and pits on this ceramic tile.

We tried real high pressure and acids. No go.

A dental pick would work but new tile would be cheaper.

Is there an acid that would get it out that would not mess with the grout line?

grt.jpg

G

1st,what ratio did you mix the acid?What acid did you use?If you dont want to get acid on the grout line you might want to cover them while you are trying to get the grout out of the tile.Miracle has a hydrochloric over at HD,try it strong in a tiny area then go from there.If it were me,before I replaced I might try finding a grout similar in color to the other areas and filling in with it.

Wandslinger

Name
Tom Meyer
I see the those hack jobs all the time. Chances are when you clean it the grout in the pores will clean just the same and it when it dries will hardly be noticeable as the day it was done. Just have to make sure they were once happy.

C

clean image

pre -seal grout lines

better acid solution longer dwell,

nylo grit brush agitation

getko or modify your trbo tips

carl

Bob Foster

What if you squeegeed and rubbed in some color sealer over the tile surface and color sealed the grout at the same time?

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
clean image said:
pre -seal grout lines

better acid solution longer dwell,

nylo grit brush agitation

getko or modify your trbo tips

carl

Good idea. Thanks for being here Carl. Awesome website and awesome pictures. Those are the best pictures that I have ever seen showing before and afters. You are extremely talented. We could learn a lot from you.

safeclean

What was the tiler thinking :oops:

You may have use straight acid than soak the floor with a neutral cleaner afterwards.

What has helped me before is using sulphuric acid powder form, pre wet surface sprinkle on than agitate keeping it wet forget about a floor machine scrub brush by hand for better results than rinse. Has worked for me but not all the time. Also viper renew straight works wonders too.

Craig

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Muriatic acid eats grout pretty well, its REAL affordable and you can make it as strong as you need to.

C

clean image

thanks bryan for the kind words, i do appreciate it from a fellow businessman

taking before and after pics and organizing is almost a business in its own,

you have to love what you do, it's not all about the money

carl

Gary T

Muriatic acid is an absolute last resort and even then I would not use it inside. The gasses WILL corrode any exposed metals, and is extremely harmful to your lungs, long term exposure causes loss of bone density also. If one does decide to use it, wear a vapor respirator and ventilate the hell out of the room. Tape off all exposed metal and hope for the best.

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
Tape off the grout lines and color seal the black specks. Disregard this advice if that type/color of grout cannot be sealed to a desirable color.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Gary, thanks for pointing that out. So what would you use?

We use the muriatic alot to etch grout lines that won't clean up - works great and at a low cost. You DO have to be careful, don't drink it, and don't breathe it. I figure Mikey has enough sense to use it.

If this is in a kitchen with stainless appliances, you might want to remove them.

One last thing - when making an acid solution, pour the acid INTO water, not the other way around.

Back
Top Bottom