How would you handle this? NO wise ass answers please

Ron K

I apologize for the delay in responding to this! I appreciate you always helping my clients. I have to say though that I was pretty shocked at the amount of $550. I guess I should have asked what your room rate was? How do you price your jobs? I have never paid more than $400 for a carpet cleaning before even in a 3500 sq ft house…. so I was surprised this was so much.

I just don't want to be surprised again…. can you help me understand?

One of the top Real Estate Agents here whom I've worked for a couple of times sent this Email. The selling agent said they were going to clean the carpets upon move out but didn't so we were called to do a last minute job before the new owners moved in. She still hasn't paid job was completed July 11. Didn't need to or want to be a PIA about payment but....

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I think the main thing is to explain how you came up with your price. Let him/her know what your sqft/room price is, any other considerations such as last minute notice, stains, urine contamination, etc. For me, a empty 3500sqft. house would cost $875.00 and that's just a basic pre vac, pre spray and rinse. we might charge more for any of the above situations. If you have done work for them before, make sure your pricing is consistent and show it to them.

Reactions: Ron K

Ron K

I did speak with her as soon as I got the Email.
We did not charge anything extra, maybe my problem,but the home was not spotless by any means. No urine but every room needed spotting work, office needed extra work there were 11 areas of carpet. LR DR FRM OFC, 10-5ft tapered StCs 4BDRMS large hall and master closet.
As I said this is a small Island I don't want to piss her off but she is defiantly pissing me off.
Would you just not work for her again? Tell her broker whom you've worked for personally, she's not paid you yet?
Send her a new bill with a hefty % added on? Go to an Open House of hers maybe one of her Multi Million dollar listings and ask for payment?

Ron K

Just looked up....last job,not this one, for realtor, in Feb, same per room charge, house sold for $5.2.

Name
Kevin De Medeiros
I agr
Just calm down before you respond. Seriously! Smile.

She asked how you came up with that figure, no problem, just tell her. NO apology needed for your price, just let her know.[/QUOTE
I agree with Lee. Tell her how u came up with the figure and politely ask when you can get payment. In the future, It might be a good idea to email a quote to the realtor before u start and get the OK. Realtors are funny . I've never had a realtor just accept the quote as given. Remember they are professional hagglers and are always looking for a deal so mark it up 10 percent and u will end up at your regular price anyways.

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
Lee nailed it. It's just business. After 30 days send another bill with standard service charge.
Al
I have 2 judgements for WDR for 10k each. Secured with real estate. 18% interest per year. No hurry to collect. Where else am I going to make 18%?

Ron K

Just calm down before you respond. Seriously! Smile.

She asked how you came up with that figure, no problem, just tell her. NO apology needed for your price, just let her know.
Lee she responded to the first invoice sent July11 on August 3 I called her back immediately on August 3rd. Still nothing.

Name
Kevin De Medeiros
Lee she responded to the first invoice sent July11 on August 3 I called her back immediately on August 3rd. Still nothing.
Maybe u should go by the office and meet face to face and ask for payment. I learned my lesson dealing with real estate agents. U need to get an OK to go ahead on your work order especially if it's a new realtor and payment is cod. Once you've established a relationship then u can give terms but still get an OK on every work order. Then if there is a prob u can go to the head broker and tell them how their agent conducts business if they don't pay. But u need your paper trail. I've had my fair share of Realtors doing this and now only work with ones I've established a relationship with .

Name
Nate W.
I'd go down to her office if you can reach her.... At this point do you still want to do anymore work for her?!? I know I wouldn't want or try to continue servicing her....

A. Tell her to pay your invoice in full.
B. Tell her to pay $400 and never call you again.
C. Tell her you'll be filing a lean on the house in question.
D. Do what Ron Lippold would do with non-payers and get a banner made with this person doesn't pay there bills with your car parked in front of there office or house with a arrow pointing to it....

Either way, it's not worth salvaging the relationship... Top realtor who bitches about $150 isn't my type of client...

Name
Nate W.
long walk off a short pier.......... I rather work for people who appreciate our work... To each there own...

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
They come and they go............to me they never been a reliable source of income.

Reactions: steve_64

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I apologize for the delay in responding to this! I appreciate you always helping my clients. I have to say though that I was pretty shocked at the amount of $550. I guess I should have asked what your room rate was? How do you price your jobs? I have never paid more than $400 for a carpet cleaning before even in a 3500 sq ft house…. so I was surprised this was so much.

I just don't want to be surprised again…. can you help me understand?

One of the top Real Estate Agents here whom I've worked for a couple of times sent this Email. The selling agent said they were going to clean the carpets upon move out but didn't so we were called to do a last minute job before the new owners moved in. She still hasn't paid job was completed July 11. Didn't need to or want to be a PIA about payment but....
If you have exhausted your efforts and still aren't getting paid, I would place a Mechanics lien on the property. That will get their attention. Go to the county clerk, have the APN (Apraisers parcel number) in hand, and fill out the form. It's so easy it's scary.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Ron, she's making thousands of dollars on her commision for selling the place and she's bitching about a few hundred dollars? March down to her office and don't leave until you have been paid

Name
Lee Stockwell
Much ado about nothing really.

Smile, Answer her questions, get paid.

Eleven areas here in western KY would be about $369. $220 to protect (hardball). Your price is reasonable.

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
An immortal paraphrase of Steve Tourben " If your rates not occasionally questioned, you are not charging enough."

Is it your fault she has not yet experienced your level of experience and expertise? She has a valid question which deserves a solid answer. She complimented you, respond in kind. Simple math is my boilerplate response. She apologized for tardy payment, accept her apology and check.

For the most part, MLS listed homes are easy to quote. All of the room dimensions are on Redfin, you just have to ask how many stairways there are and give away the hall for free as a bonus.

Reactions: Cleanworks

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Ron, Lee is right. Keep it cordial. Unless they are abusive, insulting etc, every business relationship is worth at least an effort to salvage it.
A clear friendly answer may be all she wants.

Before any job that I do, they get an email confirmation. It includes an approximation of the cost and a short explanation of our price structure, what is included as well what will cost extra. Every single client gets that email (including the ones who say they don't want it). Just good old fashioned communication to help avoid potential misunderstanding.

When people do not pay I look at it as a declaration of unhappiness. My guarantee states that if they are not happy with the cleaning they will get their money back (no small print). So every single one of my clients can get their money back, if they really want it. Had it happen only twice in 27 years. And now a crazy (I think he also has a drug problem) person that bounced his check twice. I find that (unless a really large check or if they really pissed you off) the effort and aggravation involved in dealing with this kind of collection are not worth it.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
I would go with Lee's response. Explain your charges and then ask for a CC.

We have learned to call with the price and get a CC prior to cleaning because of this very thing.

Realtors love to call for you to bail them out so they can be paid at the closing table but they think it works differently for us.

We have learned every time you try to be helpful you get burned. Get the CC first if no one is on site.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Lay out your pricing details.

Tell her you can break it up into two payments if she needs that. (Usually if you start asking if they are having money problems it shifts the pricing issue on to her instead of on to you, so ego may lead to her paying it in one payment.)

We do not do a job without okaying the estimate first. And we take before/after photos so we can remind them of results if needed. That takes a bit more time, but it saves a ton of time in getting paid.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom