HWE large areas with a portable

John Buxton

I have a high end hotel that needs 15000 SF of axminster wool cleaned on a quarterly basis. It includes a grand staircase, and meeting rooms. I am thinking about buying a portable cause a truckmount is a PITA downtown (plus the cost of buying another 5oo feet of hose).

There's not a janitors closet close only a sink. Any thoughts on what portable unit would be best for this situation?

I'm also getting a Cimex to encap it periodically. I demoed the Cimex last week, and it looked real good.

danpauselius

We just did 18,000 SF in a retail store last night with a porty. Sink was in the back room so we had to run back and forth with the unit for dump and refills. We use a Pathfinder portable but I'm sure there are about 1000 better portables out there. I will say this, if you rotary scrub first, it will look damn good with just about any porty.

hogjowl

Idiot™
My first thought was to consider a Steamin Demon. However, unless you can get a glide for it, and I'm pretty sure you can, I wouldn't consider it. Without a glide, it's really difficult to move in some situations. However, the sink attachments and auto pump-out are really nice.

NOTE: I don't own one, only demo'd one at a commercial account I have. I have no idea if they are really practical, but I was impressed with what I saw. The only reason I didn't buy one is the concrete in this paticular account is so uneven that the Demon, being something like 20 inches wide, was leaving pools of wet carpet.

danpauselius

John Burris (JB) could give the pros and cons of the Steamin Demon. I would think that at 15,000 SF of hallways, the hose runs would be ridiculous, even for a SD.

diamond brian

Don't forget about the good ol' Castex Falcon walk-behind. With a decent pre-spray, hot water, and a few air-movers, it'll do a great job.

With all the BB salesmen touting Cimex and OP, I think folks have forgotten how good these machines are for large areas.

And used ones can be picked up pretty cheap now too.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
two things
its an axminster wool. whatever you do, don't over wet. Get it dry as fast as possible.

The other point, how in blazes do you clean 15-18000sf with a porty in one night!!
[/i]

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
John, I have given some thought to that situation recently. I use a Ninga and recently did 3 banks with it. A supply hose for fresh water is a must. My feeling on the auto pump out (never tried it myself) is that it would be one too many hoses / cords to manage.

If you had a helper with a multisprayer, he could prespray ahead of you.The helper would keep tabs on fresh water / mix emulsifier. When he knew the waste tank was getting full he could shut you down momentarily and dump out a couple of pails of waste water, fire you back to keep the wand moving.

my 2 cents

hogjowl

Idiot™
On the Demon, the supply hose and the dump hose are both about the size of your bird finger and are bundled together until about 1 ft. from the faucet. If you can manage one hose, you'll a shoe in for managing both.

John Buxton

Thanks for all the input. I thought of a Steamin Demon first but its only good for 200 feet. I think the sink could be about 350+ feet from the farthest point. Plus the demon will not do the staircase.

My thoughts are a walk behind with an attachment for a stair tool is my best bet.

My goal is to clean 5000 SF monthly, or 1250SF weekly -which will equal 15000 per quarter.

I want to keep the equipment there to lessen the hassles of taking my extended van downtown all day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom