Hybrid TM

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
DC pump and vac(s) powered by a bank of batteries on the truck. You could bring more power to the job than might be available or convenient to access there. Add a high-output generator to the truck motor and/or a genset. When convenient, plug into the grid to operate or charge.

Power could be conserved by controls on the wand or on demand with a smart box. (The unit is run only a fraction of the time while at a job. It could be charging from the grid or genset when idle.) Pump and vacs could soft-start sequentially to conserve start-up requirement.

Any other thoughts?

Greenie

Lightweight efficient batteries are quite there yet, but you are right on the money the big bang elec. TM is gonna be in the batteries not cords, the thing that held my son from building one based off of an elec. car design was the heat, a heat source is an issue, propane is the obvious answer but is kinda like going backwards, you would need an 8000w elec. heater element to be a viable sellable alternative.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Seems to me that that would be an electrical nightmare... Wouldn't be easy to diagnose problems... JMO

Keith

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
How about a wood-fired boiler for heat? Could burn anything flamable the operator should happen upon: furniture, carpet, tires, road kill, etc.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Batteries?

Wouldn't it be easier/cheaper/less weight/more van room, to just plug it in?

A real hybrid to me would go from gas to electric. The T/judson parts could easily go on any existing tank.

Cut out the middle man.
Instead of plugging into batteries to charge them. Plug directly into the unit.

Like duh..

Dave-

Able 1

Name
Keith
John La Rue said:
How about a wood-fired boiler for heat? Could burn anything flamable the operator should happen upon: furniture, carpet, tires, road kill, etc.

OOH That smell your custy's smell that smell! Oh mam, that's just burning flesh, not human mind you... Crazy storie mam, we were on our way over and I saw this deer on the side of the road... Had to cut it in half there was only a couple of maggets inside but we are good to go! Pretty exciting mam this is enough heat for two jobs!! Excuse the mess on my hands though...

Keith

Greenie

Dave,
I'm gonna be kind here, if you don't understand the reason batteries would be twice as good, then save your comments and hang in the marketing room.

Clue: you could turn a #5 blower with the right batteries avail.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Hybrid would be more versitile than plug-in only. Also, you could take more power to the job than would be available or convienent to access because you have the additional charge on the batteries and an extra source (genset) to charge them. You could adjust the number of vacs running, or if a positive displacement blower, the speed, according to available power.

Col F

Name
Col Foster
I asked the question recently on one of the electric car BB's.
"Would it be feasible to replace a 15hp ic motor with a battery powered electric motor. The motor & batteries would have to be able to deliver 15hp continously for around 4.5 hrs per day." (I went small intentionally)

An expert answered.
your battery would have to be (back of envelope calculation here) 12Kw * 5 hours == 60Kwh of usable capacity. Lets assume your battery pack is 240v nominal and is made from golf cart batteries. Typical 6v golf cart batteries are 200 amp hours and 60 pounds (30kg) or so and your load would draw about 50 amps at 240v to make 12Kw of power, meaning a single string of batteries will run your load for about 3 hours. (NOT 4, read up on the peukert effect) So you would need two parallel strings, or 80 batteries total, for about 5000 pounds (2500kg) MINIMUM for the battery pack.

You could build the battery pack with lithium but you'd need your own gold mine to afford one big enough.

Greenie is correct about the use of batteries as opposed to mains voltage. Give it two to three years & batttery technology will catch up. Currently, lithium phosphate is the best available.

Col F

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Ok here is the solution...no pun intended

I will call my company Big Bri's carpet cleaning and mobile gym.

I will set up a big hamster wheel outside my truck and while the customer runs on it, I will benefit from the power made to clean the carpets.

"Hey lady, if you want them clean you better pick up the pace a little!!"

This of course will only work in the State of California. People here hare too stupid to just walk around the block.

Greenie

wow, I am pleased to see Col posting here.

Roro, so basically you guys have an 18hp generator running some elec. heaters, vac boosters, and the porty?

At what point does a fellow just get a 20hp TM and call it good?
I know the "modular" elec. GenSet set up is more flexible, I was just addressing simplicity.

Dave, you are losing your edge.

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
It has been done already...

I have seen plans an talked to the guy who made one...

Quite ingeniuos(spellin)?

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Col,

Yes, you would need a prohibitively heavy and expensive battery bank to run for hours at full demand if you didn't augment the batteries from the grid and/or a genset while on the job.

Greenie

I assumed you would be plugging in on all jobs to try and supplement with charging....it could work for a guy who only ran the unit a few hours a day....could be very quiet.

John Buxton

I looked into a diesel / electric system to repower a 36' boat we had in Florida. Its 440 volts like a train engine. Instead of 2 drive engines and a genset engine you had one larger diesel that powered a generator and a bank of batteries. The drives were powered by Seimens electric motors that had something like a 10,000 hour warranty.

Heres a site with the first diesel/electric/solar powered cat boat;

http://dsehybrid.com/?gclid=CO6Fx8Sdk5YCFSD8iAod0VgaFA

PS- If you like boats The Lauderdale show the end of this month is the best. Takes 4 days to see eveything.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
The right kind of batteries might enable some new development here, but...

If you want electric, simple, compact, lightweight, versatile and still powerful...

I have got the SAVAGE E-BEAST down to 1 -15 amp cord, a recovery tank that is super efficient giving you a very strong vacuum rise time (instantaneous) while being a compact 10" X 12" X 24" tall, and an APO that will pump 30 GPM and uses 1 amp of electric (the APO can go for weeks without having to clean either it or the recovery tank out), an LP heater that will produce insane heat and also uses only 1 amp of power, no pilot to have to light (auto-ignition), stingy on the LP usage because of the circuitry, and the vacuum system weighs only 42 lbs., and will go anywhere you need to clean. It lifts out of it's mounting base in seconds, and will go forward quicker for setup than it takes you to run vacuum hose off a vacuum hose reel into the house, if the hose run is a loooong one.

You don't need a #5 blower and an electric motor to run it. That is HEAVY and OLD technology. You also don't need a 200 gallon all-day waste tank that would hold and carry around 1700 lbs. of dirty water as you drive around doing jobs.

But, what do I know?

roro

Name
Ross Craig
Greenie said:
"Roro, so basically you guys have an 18hp generator running some elec. heaters, vac boosters, and the porty?"

Yes one of our units is a hybrid and it certainly has paid its way over many years.

Greenie said:
"At what point does a fellow just get a 20hp TM and call it good?"

When they flatten the hills, get rid of cable cars, demolish the high rises, the shopping malls, the airports, the residents parking only etc and have nice little driveups.

We operate in quite a difficult terrain with about 40% of our business being commercial and therefore need to have a variety of equipment to use. A lot of guys have tried to operate solely with truckmounts - not many have remained in business. As our tagline says "working for you since '82"

roro

Greenie

Gotcha....so it's about being flexible and modular, I can dig it, just like Bob's approach.

Bob, we hear ya man...easy now, lots of cheerleaders have your units, let em talk.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom