Hydramaster CDS Hot Seat!

Discussion in 'the Hot Seat Interviews' started by Mikey P, Jul 20, 2014.

1. hogjowl
    hogjowl

@

Name:
    Marty Sutley
    To Doyle and any CDS owners out there.

What kind of heat can I reasonably expect from a CDS running a high flow wand? By high flow, I mean 12 flow.

With the salsa package, of course.

A competitor of yours has told me their unit should be producing around 200 to 210 with their standard package, but will jump up to 225/230 with post heat. However, that is at 6 flow. When I mentioned 12 flow, they told me not to expect a lot of heat.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  2. Blue-Collar Hero
    Blue-Collar Hero

Name:
    Rich
    Porkchop our old CDS's without the Salsa Package ran 190-210 pretty consistently depending on the season, using a 6-flow wand. I'm not sure why but it sure seemed hotter than what the gauge read. ???
  3. Chris A
    Chris A

Name:
    Chris
    210 here on 09 flow, 190-200 on 12
  4. hogjowl
    hogjowl

@

Name:
    Marty Sutley
    Thanks you two.

That sounds about right. I know that Saiger has posted that his Butlers are getting better heat. He's running high flow and claiming 230 even in the winter ... right?

I've always been told that what you two are reporting is the real world numbers of what you can reasonably expect from ANY direct drive/heat exchange unit.

How do you guys clean at 6 flow? I mean seriously ... if I have to go back to 6 flow to have any heat ... I may not be able to clean like I can today.
  5. Blue-Collar Hero
    Blue-Collar Hero

Name:
    Rich
    It won't be too big a loss to the industry, you can't clean very well as it is! :winky:
    hogjowl likes this.
  6. hogjowl
    hogjowl

@

Name:
    Marty Sutley
    I'm not worried about the industry.

I'm thinking solely about ME.
    Blue-Collar Hero likes this.
  7. Chris A
    Chris A

Name:
    Chris
    Honestly, my white magic 1200 has a 06 jetted aw 29... I used to change out my ti when I use it, I stopped have noticed zero deference in finished product, but I'm also a hack
  8. Vivers
    Vivers

Supportive Member

Name:
    Bill
    I have a slide in Prochem Apex but I have to admit those direct drives sure look sharp as far as setup goes. But when I'm listening to numbers as far as heat goes I stumble a little bit because the Apex runs much hotter.

Got to say I sure like the idea of not having the noise of the slide ends though
  9. Meir1954
    Meir1954

Name:
    James S. Frazee
    Love to have this
    Mikey P likes this.
  10. Dale
    Dale

Name:
    Dale Collins
    Hi Guys:

In the day I would buy/rebuild/sell used TM's I bought a few of them. The problem I saw was the tanks rotted. I finally gave up trading in them because of this. I would recommend they went to stainless steel-my cost on 10 gauge s.s vs. 1/4" aluminum was almost the same. I never understood this.

Thx,
    Dale
    Lee Stockwell likes this.
  11. The Great Oz
    The Great Oz

Name:
    bryan
    Would I prefer a stainless tank? Sure, if there were no concerns about stress cracks or the cost didn't add a sizeable chunk to the purchase price. If you like to drive a rolling outhouse you need a stainless tank, but aluminum tanks only rot if they're used for acidic sewage storage, so we rinse them out and they still look great when we sell them.

A rotted tank will tell you a lot about how the unit was cared for, so I'd suggest anyone buying used look in the tank with a flashlight. If corroded, there's a greater probability that other maintenance was also ignored. Get a great price or pass.
    Jim Pemberton, Mikey P and dgardner like this.
  12. Lee Stockwell
    Lee Stockwell

FOJL

Name:
    Lee Stockwell
    I'm still running stainless tanks my dad and I built 30 years ago. Still perfect. They weigh less than aluminum would.