Hydramaster goes Electric

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
That confuses me more. If the vans engine runs during operation, what's the need for a generator?
Hydramaster has done an awesome job with their engineering and reliability, so im certain there's a good reason for it

Because they are attempting to get the Transit to be built with the setup, which they can't hook the same "pto" as the old style vans.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
The xDrive is electric. The van's engine turns the generator, making electricity. The electricity is used to run the electric motor in the xDrive.

The whole point is to be able to use a CDS-type TM in a chassis where you can't install the usual clutch and driveshaft, either because it won't fit or because the manufacturer won't let you. It's just another means to get the power from the van's engine to the TM.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Steve, what method would you choose where you want a CDS-type TM in a vehicle where you can't fit a driveshaft?

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Well, something must be a little problematic with it....there were two "fests" already, where they were supposed to show-introduce.

I'm rooting for them to eventually figure it out.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
some of the problems would be heat in the generator and heat in the electric motor. That generator has to provide aprox 15-20 hp equivalent to power the system like a shaft drive would.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
some of the problems would be heat in the generator and heat in the electric motor. That generator has to provide aprox 15-20 hp equivalent to power the system like a shaft drive would.

Sure, especially where the ambient temps are extreme. There are a couple of automotive test tracks near Phoenix where I live. Summertime temps are extreme here, and I'm sure the automakers use test results to refine the designs, I certainly would expect HM to do the same.

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
With the 500 cfm blower, big general pump and 2 heat exchanges plus 3 year warranty going into the Ford Transit... this looks to be my next Truck Mount! Hope you guys going to Vegas take lots of pictures and video! Looking forward to Mikeys Board Interview on this machine!

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Steve, what method would you choose where you want a CDS-type TM in a vehicle where you can't fit a driveshaft?

I would purchase a van that would accommodate a regular direct drive unit, but when you are purchasing the direct drive you almost always have to use a new van.

SO, this is a new twist. I'm interested in following it's emergence.

I can remember the first ETM's I built many years ago, where I used an on-board generator for power, getting it's fuel to run from the van's gas tank fuel tap system.

However, I then got so much crap from so many people that if you use a gasoline powered generator to run the machine, why don't you just get a gasoline slide-in.

So I proceeded to design the ETM so it would only require two 15 amps circuits, and would still cover 200' from the van when cleaning. I still have the genset, but rarely use it, and, the ETM is still kicking butt and taking names.

Does that mean that if my name were Bob Rockefeller or some really well known name you would have taken the time to see it perform with an open mind?

Carry On...

Name
Steve Lawrence
Just seems that using gas power to create electric power is not only wasteful of energy but you're reducing your power abilities with the exchange, not to mention the mountain of other mechanical parts to go wrong with all of this mumbo jumbo gas to electric goofiness..

I think I'll just retire and let the kids figure this one out.

Reactions: Mikey P

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I know what you mean Bob, you created an interesting machine but without the funds to mass market it, it is more of a niche product. I like your propane heaters. Seems just as hot as the steamway 220,000 btu kero heaters

rick imby

Name
Rick
There is probably another use for this Electric TM---It could be used to Recharge Dead Teslas....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom