I got tired of carpet in my truck

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
So I found this rubber stuff. I think its going to work out great. The carpet rots out after a few months but the rubber should last a long time. I think this is simular to what Vortex is putting in their truck now.

camerapics359.jpg

camerapics358.jpg

camerapics357.jpg

Brian L

Name
Brian L
Is that your new filter box that you were talking about a few days ago?
Next to the hose reel.

RJ

You should be ashamed to call yourself a carpet cleaner. Making others look bad with your state of the art mobile textile cleaning unit...lol.
RJ

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
just an observation.......................

but you might want to bring your waste tank hoses straight down and go under the waste tank and then go straight into the filter box

that was you don't have the hoses flopping and you get rid of a 90 degree turn.............

I just carpeted mine but used the rubber backing type carpet..............
I think it may help it breath a little better.............

100_3642.jpg

I understand what you are saying about the carpet rot but does the rubber get slippery when it gets wet ???

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
Brian,
That is the new filter box I had made up. I have two 2.5" hoses and one 2" hose going from the waste tank to the filter box. This way I get the full effect of the Vortex action in the tank. I Then have two 2.5" going into the house.

Jim

I had to put the elbows in because I didn't have enough extra 2.5" hose to go under the tank without kinking it. I know it doesn't look like it would from the pic but when I would suck it down the hose kinks up by the tank really bad. I will dump the elbows when I get the extra hose. Is that the Lowes blue carpet? That is the stuff I have been using. It looks good but the rubber backing falls apart over time. the rubber for my whole truck only cost $112. We will see how it works.

The rubber is rough so it doesn't get slick.

CarpetQueen

I had the interior of my Sprinter Van coated by RhinoLiner when I bought it. I had it done in June 2006. So far, so good. The coating goes halfway up all the interior walls and surfaces, including the bulkhead. My goal was to put down a protective coating that would be impervious to water and chemicals and be safe when wet and look nice. It cost me a pretty penny-$1000.00.
Would this be an option for you?

steve r

my concern with rubber would be that over time it will start turning anything you set on it black and could transfer to floors and carpet.

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
Ron

I got it at a place called D&B Supply. Farm stores sell it.

Charles

you can use my RX20 anytime.

AzCleaner

That's a nice set up. With average use, it should last ya a while. As for the question of where to get it, he's right, farm / agricultural suppliers will sell it because they use it as livestock matting. Another place to consider if you don't have a feed store near by is a truck equipment supplier, as in big trucks. I recall when I drove delivery instate that we would have that stuff lining some of our trailers. Nice job....

Can I have your TM????

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
I love the diamond plate look too... thanks, you've given me a few ideas!

Very nice layout!

But the bungie cords look a bit less professional.

Jim Bethel

Name
Jim Bethel
AdamHale said:
The carpet rots out after a few months but the rubber should last a long time. I think this is simular to what Vortex is putting in their truck now.

Hi Adam,

I was reading your post above with interest (nice truck by the way). This comment caught my attention however. We have done installs over 10 years ago that still look pristine and they are done with carpet on the top layer.

I have however seen carpet prematurely rot out, however this is due to the machine leaking or generally not taking care of the presentation in the back of the van/truck.

Rubber like you have is good, however I think in time you will find it a little hard to keep clean. Carpet is much easier to keep clean (I think you know a good carpet cleaner :) ) than the spray/roll on coatings, especially the dark coloured ones like you have in your truck. A lighter coloured coating is easier to keep clean.

Over here we do our PowerClean installs very thoroughly. Starting with a brand new van....
IMGP3362.jpg

We then coat the base of the floor in an anti-rust treatment.
IMGP3371.jpg

We then cut to shape and screw a MARINE ply (very important to be a high quality marine ply - very expensive but worth the investment) in the floor to thus stop movement.
IMGP3372.jpg

We then start insulating the internal areas
IMGP3377.jpg

And then line the walls with galvanized sheeting that is riveted into place and all the edges are caulked so to make a waterproof membrain.
IMGP3379.jpg

We then sent it out to get Line-X (not Rhino floor) sprayed on the floor and up the walls to create a dam effect. At this stage we add a colour to it to match the colour of the carpet, or the racks we have made or the machine. Some of our customers leave it at this stage as they like to hose out the van at the end of each day. However, it is still a difficult floor to keep clean because of the coating.
100_1139.jpg

We then go through and insulate and sheet the rest of the walls....
IMGP3385.jpg

We then carpet over the entire thing as everything is well protected from moisture and corrosion. We then design up the customized racking and water tanks and then send the frames out to get Line-X'd as well to protect them also...
IMGP3583.jpg

While this installation takes awhile to complete due to the level of workmanship that goes into it, it will also protect the investment our customers have done. The PowerClean machines we bring into Australia are all solid Stainless Steel Frames and Wastetanks, so they are not going to rust out and are going to look good 10 - 15 years down the track. We are just making sure the rest of the van and install also look the same down the track also...
PowerCleanInstall2.jpg

Jim
PowerClean

Jim Bethel

Name
Jim Bethel
I was wondering which clown was going to ask where the TM was?? :)

The checkerplate water tank you see above, isn't up against the cargo barrier at the back of the seats. The water tank is a third of the way there. You can't really tell in the photo, but maybe this one will show the effective use of space more....

JimsWork114.jpg

Where the waste tank sits to the right of the console, there is a fully carpeted barrier there and the fresh water tank sits on the other side of the wall toward the back of the van.

This setup is really nice to work on as well, as when you want to service the unit, you simply remove the wands and you can walk up the side of the machine and get access to everything very easily!

Thanks for the compliments as well 8)

Jim

Mike Brummett

If you VORTEX guys weren't all so BROKE from the HUGE monthly payments, maybe you could AFFORD to do your truck floor RIGHT to begin with!

My van's both have marine plywood with a coating. One is LINE-X and the other RHINO. I'll let you know in a few more years which I Like better.

MIKE

John Watson

Jim, You down under guys piss me off. In my book you are the best installers I have ever seen. Using all the usable space. The only two close are Jim Martin and Duane Oxley . I half believe they are part upside down guys like you ..(You look at things different. Love to see you measure up some of the standard size rigs we got here and see what it would cost for your set up here in the US. You design and sell but built here maybe an Idea for you. Shorty can come over every year to make sure all is well..

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
If you VORTEX guys weren't all so BROKE from the HUGE monthly payments, maybe you could AFFORD to do your truck floor RIGHT to begin with!

the floors in the UD's are all aluminum..........
there is no need for us to go threw all those process..........

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
I have Rino lined my other trucks. My box truck has some rino liner in it. I still carpet ( now rubber ) over both of them because my knees like the feel of it compared to the Rino liner.

I keep my truck looking great all the time. So I change the carpet out about twice a year. Plus I spill a little citrus solve on them and that screws the carpet up.

That down under truck is the best looking set up I have seen.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
you carpet may stay looking good and not rot out is you make it a practice to never mix in the truck........I can imagine what critic will do to that rubber .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom