I just can't win

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I get a lot of flak from you guys because of all the urine jobs I take on. I do turn some down, especially if I see evidence where a Rug Doctor type of machine has been used. I've found that the DIY machines soak the carpets and forces the contaminate through the backing and into the pad. They also smear everything around making it very hard to pinpoint the contaminant. I've learned the hard way to recommend replacement when I see this.

So, the last week a PM asked me to provide an estimate, I get out there and click on the black light. Sure enough I see urine in the hall, wet-bar area, master bedroom and closet, and living room. Also in the living room I see smear marks from a Rog Doctor type of machine. Upon seeing this, and based on my experience, I recommended sealing of the subfloor, pad replacement, and having the carpet cleaned. The owner decided to have everything torn out and replaced.

So yesterday I'm driving along dreaming of my nex Baconator when I get a call. The woman on the other end was demanding I send her a copy of my "Cleaning Invoice". I told her I had never cleaned that address, just provided an estimate. Since she was so pleasant I also told her I would not provide her with a copy of my estimate because she was not my customer and did not order the service from me. I told her she would have to take it up with the PM. I said if there was an issue with anything I could suggest some companies that can offer her a second opinion. That's when things got fun. She started yelling at me that I had no proof that it was urine and that her dogs never urinated in the house. She told me what I was seeing was Orange Juice. She also tried telling me it was epsom salts I was seeing. As for the smell, she had no explanation.

Anyway, she was demanding proof from me that it was urine and blamed me for losing her $2,000 deposit. She then threatened to sue me. I told her I own a cleaning business and it does me no good to recommend having something replaced. I don't make any money turning down jobs. She then went into an explanation of all the things it could have been other than urine and once again said she was going to sue me. I replied, "Ma'am, I'm not going to split hairs over this. You have now threatened me with a lawsuit so our conversation is now over." I then hung up. She continued to blow up my phone until i blocked her number.

I realize this is a typical renter that can't take responsibility for their pets. We all see it all the time. But it just pisses me off. All the urine jobs I do, and all the abuse I take from you guys, and it's the one I turn down that bites me in the ass! Never take me to the horse track.

Sorry if there are typos. I wrote this in a hurry and need to go to work. I have not proofed it. I'll try and go back and get pictures of the smear marks. It would be a good training tool for @Jim Pemberton

Last edited:

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
@Matt Wood it seems to be a house rental, in that case, $2k is common..my deposit is $1k...

Usually PM wants deposit equal the amount of rent..

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Move on to the next one and let her deal with the property management company. You gave your professional assessment. In the future, I would consider a UV light and photos. It'll add value to you with the property management companies because it covers both your back sides, and you have proof that something organic was there. Attach the photos to the invoice if you're emailing to the PM. Before and afters are also a good idea in those situations, most of the time those places are never inspected by the person sitting at the desk writing the checks.

Reactions: Nomad74

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
We were asked to check out an apartment for pet urine by a manager. We confirmed her suspicion, she calls the tenant and tells her that and the tenant's reply was that wasn't a pet it was her kid. So we told the manager to inform the tenant that it was now a biohazard job. She let it remain a pet issue.

F

FB7777

I'd suggest she go consult with an atty and see who she thinks she can sue

People who claim they are gonna sue typically don't

They're hoping you're stupid enough to fall for their bluff

Besides , loud mouth threatening poor people don't scare anyone

Rich people that know how courts work do

Once a lawsuit is threatened , they're listening to a dead phone line

On the bright side, your Caesar Entertainment CZR stock could benefit from the new online gambling potential

Reactions: Nomad74

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I'd suggest she go consult with an atty and see who she thinks she can sue

People who claim they are gonna sue typically don't

They're hoping you're stupid enough to fall for their bluff

Besides , loud mouth threatening poor people don't scare anyone

Rich people that know how courts work do

Once a lawsuit is threatened , they're listening to a dead phone line

On the bright side, your Caesar Entertainment CZR stock could benefit from the new online gambling potential
I got out of CZR and went into CVRR at $13.75.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom