I man enough to admit it

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Want to know anything about backing single or twin prop boats? Into the wind, broadside to, with, in varying current conditions?

It is similar to a trailer only in that crunchy noises are bad, too.

Reactions: dgardner

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Talk about having faith.
Yup. One of my customers (for industrial controls) is Sky Harbor International Airport. I was working on the ramp one day and watched a couple wing walkers back a 737 right into the overhead concourse walkway during pushback. Did a couple million damage to the tail section. They were obviously going through the motions without actually watching.

steve_64

Yup. One of my customers (for industrial controls) is Sky Harbor International Airport. I was working on the ramp one day and watched a couple wing walkers back a 737 right into the overhead concourse walkway during pushback. Did a couple million damage to the tail section. They were obviously going through the motions without actually watching.
Ouch. With a helicopter you have a tail rotor leading the way. And it's pretty invisible.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
When I was in college, many years ago, I also had a full-time job with a towing company. There was a large lot full of all types of vehicles (cars, trucks, trailers of all lengths). I was the kid. All other employees had been there for years. So whenever I wasn't on a call, I was expected to be rearranging all the vehicles in the lot. (Practicing.) I hated it because it killed my neck. So I learned to use the mirrors.

Reactions: Shorty

Braden bell

Name
Braden bell
I can't but don't drive do to eye condition but my wife puts guys to shame at the boats ramps. I had a boat that was 88 inches wide. My garage door is 92. One night after fishing me and my buddy come home with it hooked to his dually. After several failed attempts he's swallowed his pride and let her do it. She got first try. Practice out of neccessity

Reactions: steve_64

EDS

Name
Ed
This helps for the Seadoo..

Attachments

• IMG_2256.JPG
    IMG_2256.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 121
Reactions: Desk Jockey

jawhit

Name
Joe
Used to do landscaping with an older guy. He would taunt me everytime I had to back a trailer into or out of driveways. But he told me to not think about turning left or right. Instead just 'steer into the problem'. So looking in the mirror if the trailer started going off to one side, turn the steering wheel towers that side and the trailer will straighten itself out. One I stopped thinking about directions, it got really easy.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Some decent replies here, also some relating to the length of the trailer which are good.

One that I think has been over-looked is the length of the draw bar.

This is the steel bar/s that go from the tow-ball to the front of the trailer.

The greater the distance, the easier to reverse.

Or, the greater the distance from the tow-ball to the trailer wheels, again, make it easier

Dunno if that makes sense to you guys.??

I find reversing trailers relatively easy.

I liked Lee's comment re "wagons or 2 trailers in series"

Down under, we call them "B Doubles" which is the truck, (prime mover), with two trailers behind.

BELOW, just for Mike, here's what we a call a truck with Dog.

Simply another trailer behind the truck, similar to a trailer behind a car.

This one is different in that the "Dog" has a swiveling turntable for the front wheels.
Maybe having 5 years interstate semi driving in a younger lifetime helped. :lol: :stir:

:yoda:

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
Backing a trailer is easy, If you really want a challenge then try parallel park one like this.
Truck.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom