I might be pulling a trailer again very soon

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I never even thought this would happen.

I got pulled over almost 2 weeks ago by the D.O.T. cop (semi truck cop). I asked him what I did wrong. He said nothing. Just give me your DOT number. Well, I just learned something new. I didn't have one, nor did I know that it was needed. My truck weights gvwr over 10k pounds, which makes fall in the category of needing one. He was nice enough to give me a warning and give me 15days to get this setup. "no problem" I said, and thanked him.

Here's the problem.

Two things are needed to be legally able to drive with your dot number.
-Truck needs a certification from a dot mechanic- No problem
-I need to get a physical from a dot certified doctor- there's my problem
-My health is top notch. I don't smoke, drink, have good eye sight, etc. But...I take medicine to prevent seizures. I haven't had a partial seizure in over 6 years, or a grand mal seizure in over 18 years. They have a problem with this being a factor. Sure, you can drive a normal car, but you can't drive a box truck????

I never thought this would happen, because I assumed that when I bought this truck, since a CDL isn't needed, then I should be fine

I have almost $12k invested in this truck, and I feel a stupid law is stealing this from me.

Tell me which is more dangerous in a car accident...Pulling a trailer or driving a 12ft. box truck???

I'm currently looking for an exemption to fill out, so please keep your fingers crossed for me. Might have to park this truck if I can't do anything. If anyone has any experience in this factor, please let me know

Matt B

Name
Matt Briseno
If the combined gvwr is rated at 10,000 lbs between your truck and trailer u still need the same qualifications as the box truck. Doesn't matter if u actually weigh 10,000 it's the rating weight on vehicles combined

F

FB7777

Tough situation, at least you didn't buy new

Good news is at least you can operate a cargo van under 10K

I could make you sweet deal on a Butler system that I have listed on their website:icon_cool:

Best of luck with the exemption , insurance hates risk ... hopefully the DOT rules in your favor

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
My truck GVWR is 14.500 and we do not have to run D.O.T

check your laws...we are not delivering goods from point A to point B we are offering a service...because we offer a service....we don't have to worry about it...
No CDL's...but we have to run commercial plates and have things like fire extinguishers and flares on the trucks...

I most states are different but it may be worth asking...

Reactions: dealtimeman

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Matt, I feel terrible for you. I hope you get through this. Truly a pain in the ass.

Get your Government out of my business!

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Matt, what is your total weight on the truck and is there any way to reduce it?

If not, you call an injury attorney and get the name of a “tame doctor.”
It seems to me that if your medications have kept you in control for six years, you have a strong case for being able to drive safely. Kind of like being in remission.

Reactions: Pioneer Floorcare

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
There’s an exemption that can be filed on the medication. The hard part is finding a doctor that’ll sign off on it because their license is on the line. The last two doctors told me that. I’m meeting another doc who said he’ll sign it this Saturday

And whoever drives, not owns, the truck has to have a physical.

I’m gonna make a trip to a truck stop at the end of today and weigh it. If it weighs under 10k lbs, I’m gonna try to fight it

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
My truck GVWR is 14.500 and we do not have to run D.O.T

check your laws...we are not delivering goods from point A to point B we are offering a service...because we offer a service....we don't have to worry about it...
No CDL's...but we have to run commercial plates and have things like fire extinguishers and flares on the trucks...

I most states are different but it may be worth asking...
This page says I need a dot if the gvwr is over 10k
https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/do-i-need-usdot-number

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
You may have an out if your loaded truck actually weighs less than 10k.

Since you aren't hauling varying loads, you might be able to license your truck at the lower weight rating. You would then list the new licensed weight on the side of your truck and not have to jump through any other hoops to keep the inspector at bay.

You'd be ticketed if your truck is weighed and comes in over the licensed weight rating though, and I've heard of truckers being forced to unload on the side of the road to get to the legal limit before being allowed to move again.

FredC

Village Idiot
This page says I need a dot if the gvwr is over 10k
https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/do-i-need-usdot-number
Does it? Are you servicing multiple states?

• Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or
  • Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
  • Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation;
AND is involved in Interstate commerce:
Trade, traffic, or transportation in the United States—

• Between a place in a State and a place outside of such State (including a place outside of the United States);
  • Between two places in a State through another State or a place outside of the United States; or
  • Between two places in a State as part of trade, traffic, or transportation originating or terminating outside the State or the United States.
You are required by FMCSA to obtain a USDOT Number and comply with the Federal Regulations.

Looks like two conditions have to be met....but i'm no expert.
I'd converse with someone in writing to make sure before I just took the dot guys word for it.

but:

but this page from ga says you do because you are a biz with a heavy truck
https://dps.georgia.gov/frequently-asked-questions-mccd

be interesting to see if you have trouble getting one

Last edited:

steve_64

Michigan keeps threatening to make box trucks need a CDL to drive. The threat of that alone would keep me from ever getting one for myself.

Reactions: SamIam

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
The gvwr weight rating on this truck is 12000lbs

I weighed it today at 9620. I called the dot and told them this and they said it doesn’t matter how much it weighs. The gvwr tag in my door is what the go by. And it’s 12000

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Sorry to hear that Matt. Really stinks! Is there any way to move back down to a standard full size van. Maybe even with a higher roof?
If all my options fail, I’ll be putting this truck up for sale to get a van. But that’s when I give up. That’ll happen 3 months from now if my neurologist doesn’t send a note. That won’t happen. The soonest I can see my neurologist is January 2018. So I might be putting my stuff back in the trailer until then

Name
Matt Ross
I had to give up my whole excavation business because I have type 1 diabetes and couldn't reasonably get my CDL. I had towed safely without any accidents for almost 15 yrs, but my loads and trailers we're too high for my liscence. I've never once had any scary diabetic complications that would cause me to be a danger to other motorists, but it's another blanket law that screws some people over. They make the laws incredibly confusing too. Good luck.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Paul B

Name
Paul Beardsley
Your right it's all about the number on the door sticker. Once it's over 10,001 the rules start to change unfortunately.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
So Matt, you are at 9600 pounds, installed and loaded. You have permanently altered the truck in a way that prevents carrying the current weight rating.

Would it be possible to file for a different gvwr based on that, say 9900? It might require a letter to someone.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
So Matt, you are at 9600 pounds, installed and loaded. You have permanently altered the truck in a way that prevents carrying the current weight rating.

Would it be possible to file for a different gvwr based on that, say 9900? It might require a letter to someone.
I wish I could.

Reactions: Old Coastie

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom