I only offer Tile and Grout Cleaning + Sealing...Anyone Else?

todg

Name
Michael Marcus
Qualifications-1.jpg

For over 16 years, I have not offered any other service other than tile and grout cleaning + sealing. Anyone else here does the same? My main reason for my hoarding of one service is I'm good at it, fewer problems, fast and effective...

Many folks once wondered if I could make a living at just doing 1 service...I typically turn down all carpet and upholstery cleaning.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Qualifications-1.jpg

For over 16 years, I have not offered any other service other than tile and grout cleaning + sealing. Anyone else here does the same? My main reason for my hoarding of one service is I'm good at it, fewer problems, fast and effective...

Many folks once wondered if I could make a living at just doing 1 service...I typically turn down all carpet and upholstery cleaning.
Offer that one service anywhere else besides a rich, awesome economic county out west where there's more tile than carpet and, unless you have enough capital $$$$$ to cover your ass when nobody calls, see how well you'll make it.

Sorry for the negative comment. I just don't see it being very accurate for all areas of the world with many different types of areas that need cleaned. We have to learn to learn about many different avenues of cleaning to be able to survive.

I'm glad you're doing well for yourself. But for those that live in areas that are not good financially, they might have to pick up a squeegee and do something else out of their domain to survive in this business when their main service is slow

Reactions: hogjowl

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Sometimes I regret dropping pressure washing, because when work is slow, I could've done a few jobs like that. I dropped that service way back around '07 when I was having trouble making my quality of work good. I wanted to stick something I was good at and get off the ladder, so I kept doing just work with the truck mount.

But I kept my squeegees for windows for all the current customers that still request that service.

Reactions: SCC and EDS

Mikey P

Administrator
Vegas...I suppose
Phoenix on the golf course...sure
Florida homes with a boat in the water, sure

Retirement areas where those with money go to watch Judge Whopner.

Southern states, although boiling and covered in tile wont pay enough to have their tiles cleaned.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I think it is easier to do that in a large metropolitan center. There is lots of work available. Instead of diversifying into every little thing that comes along and buying the appropiate equipment and supplies and getting educated so that you know what you're talking about, for an owner/operator you can just invest in one or two types of equipment and just hustle for the jobs you are comfortable with. I really specialize in carpet cleaning, that's the main focus of my business but along the way, I have learned to clean upholstery, using the same equipment, clean area rugs, have dabbled in hard surface cleaning, did water damage restoration for years and while all of these areas can be profitable, carpet cleaning remains the easiest and quickest way to make a buck for me. There is way more carpet out here than there is carpet cleaners to clean it. You need to learn to find ways to get those people to come to you. Learn how to advertise, do direct sales, etc.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
The typical Florida home as 3 types of flooring, Tile, Laminate and Carpet.

I don't mind walking over carpet to pick up tile money.

I hate walking over tile to pick up carpet money.

Surprisingly, a lot of Florida people do not know they can have their grout lines professionally cleaned.

It is because they all come from noo Joizey.

todg

Name
Michael Marcus
Michael;

You need to try a new solvent-based fluorochemical Impregnator we manufacture.

It will increase your profit, by reducing labor costs.

And also provide better protection!

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=78&products_id=1215

Larry, I am sure it's a great product...However, I like water based products for many reasons, but overall sealer is just sealer...Sealers don't keep floors clean BTW...At least I promote annual service and sell a "clean and seal". Just the best option for the average homeowner...I do meet others who offer 12 different sealers...Not me...I like to "KISS"...

I like the price of your product! I pay right around that for sealer here in Vegas...

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Mikey P

Administrator
Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We have 8,000 sqft of T&G to do Saturday.

If we were to sell them on sealer what do you sell it for? How fast does it dry? If we are doing it regularly will we just be cleaning it off?
I hate solvents in homes and especially businesses but everyone is gone on the weekend.

todg

Name
Michael Marcus
We have 8,000 sqft of T&G to do Saturday.

If we were to sell them on sealer what do you sell it for? How fast does it dry? If we are doing it regularly will we just be cleaning it off?
I hate solvents in homes and especially businesses but everyone is gone on the weekend.

Let me see if I can help you...

Always sell tile and grout cleaning and sealing together...Don't give someone a choice...Fact is there making the investment in getting their floors back to like new, sealer is the next best thing to help ensure issues remain on top of the tile and grout and not embedded...How much you charge is up to you...What's it worth to you? What are you willing to work for?

Preach ANNUAL SERVICE! YES, clean and seal every year.

Use water based sealer, don't offer any sealer, offer what's easiest to cover...Water based sealer will appear dry to touch in a few minutes (at least in Las Vegas) Floors will look natural with no haze and smear...People can walk back on floor with socks on their feet reasonably fast (like 10-15 mins.) Furniture couple hours, area rugs 8 hours plus...The process of any sealer is "curing" which means time, not air, heat, fans, and more...Just time.

If the 8000sf is all on the same floor (the 1st), within distance of 250' ... I'd be in area of $5200-$6200, or honestly if someone said $5000...I'll do it...Probably done, setup to breakdown with 1 or 2 helpers in 3-5 hours pending on degree of filth and material...

Either way GOOD LUCK! Turbo Hybrid is the tool...High Alkaline chemicals work nice...

I read a comment by Larry above about solvent based sealer...ya, good stuff...for what?
100-year sealer doesn't keep floors any cleaner than 2-year warrantied product..Sell the idea of "maintenance" not exactly protection...This is my take over the years, and it gets me jobs, and actually works! Solvent based sealers in my past experience leave an unwanted film that just sucks...Doing the grout lines individually is murder...The sealer overhangs onto tile making a miserable coating that just sucks...I just KISS...

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
$6,200.00 for the initial cleaning but have offered the a great discount if done twice or three times a year. They talked about quarterly before we gave them a price. I think twice a year will maintain it to a high level.

Is sealer still worth it when cleaning that frequently?

Thanks for the reply.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
$6,200.00 for the initial cleaning but have offered the a great discount if done twice or three times a year. They talked about quarterly before we gave them a price. I think twice a year will maintain it to a high level.

Thanks for the reply.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
$6,200.00 for the initial cleaning but have offered the a great discount if done twice or three times a year. They talked about quarterly before we gave them a price. I think twice a year will maintain it to a high level. We have 3 turbo tools andvplan to run three trucks.

Thanks for the reply.

todg

Name
Michael Marcus

Thanks for the reply.

The answer is YES...You tell them a clean and seal goes hand and hand...For $6200, nice price for both services!

Name
Bruce
Richard what is the setting for the tile and grout? house ? business?

I don't agree with the water based sealer at all , especially when Cobbs Ultra Seal is nicely priced and no hazing.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Its a corporate business. They had new tile put in a year ago and get a lot of in and out traffic daily. They were mopping it regularly but figured out that wasn't helping.

They bought a small walk behind, which will help with on going maintenance. However it struggled mightily with corrective cleanng just due to shear size.

They said they think from here on the want us at least twice a year. But who knows, lots of places say it until we get it back on track then the push the length because it still looks good. :biggrin:

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I'm curious to what kind of water based sealer gives you less problem than Cobbs and in the same price range. I always had nothing but complaints with water based protectors. Tried cobbs and nver looked back.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Show me how to use that cobbs sealer. How do you apply it? how to do that mop application.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom