I think coupler took a dump today

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I was doing a job with tm running fine then no vacuum. Engine runs no problem and no weird noise. Came home and took off silencer to check on the lobes which spin ok. Unit is max450 (diahatsu with tuthill 4005). Does this sound like a bad coupler or can the blower still need replacing even after seeing that it spins ok?.

Albert

R

R W

I'd say that if you can spin the lobes with out the engine, your coupler is toast. I'm not familiar with the unit, so I don't know how it is coupled.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Albert Lazo said:
I was doing a job with tm running fine then no vacuum. Engine runs no problem and no weird noise. Came home and took off silencer to check on the lobes which spin ok. Unit is max450 (diahatsu with tuthill 4005). Does this sound like a bad coupler or can the blower still need replacing even after seeing that it spins ok?.

Albert

"Came home and took off silencer to check on the lobes which spin ok. "

you mean when the motor is running?
if so, the coupler is still connected or the blower wouldn't spin.
If you can spin it by hand, then you have a problem, as RW mentioned.
And would likely be a shredded coupler.
(if it is indeed direct coupled and not belts)

if it does spin while the motor is running, then look for where you're loosing vac.
Richard gave you the first place to start

Next check to see your vac port plumbing didn't come loose or break.

If your coupler broke, you would generally notice less noise, as most of the noise on a TM is from the blower.

If you took the silencer off and started it, it would ROAR worse than the silencer side of a Vortex/AT when running

..L.T.A.

Greenie

Engine runs fine...no vacuum.

Blower spins freely with motor off.

Get new coupler, it's hidden in the rigid housing between the engine and blower.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
I could be wrong, but I have a Maxx470 and it is belt driven. My manual, which also includes the Maxx450 shows it is belt driven as well. I was under the impression that the boxxer line was coupler driven, and the maxx line is belt driven. Unless things have changed, this is the information I have.

With that said, I would check your belts :D

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Thanks. The lobes spin but only when turning them manually. Nothing when the engine is running and it is direct coupled. How old is your unit Kevin?.

This job turned bad real fast. I was done with the 2 rooms upstairs when it happened and only had the stairs to do. I set my oreck up to finish the stairs. I was pulling the hoses down the stairs as the oreck turned on. I was already outside and ran inside to turn off the damn thing as I tripped from the doormat and dislocated my shoulder worse then I have in years. Thank god the homeowner had left. So instead of leaving the place smelling fresh and clean it smelled of burnt oil from the oreck. LOL. Another fun day.

Albert

John Watson

Almost 25 years since I played with a unit that used a coupler. (Steamway Powermatic) Haven't heard any thing about what would make the coupler fail??? misalignment used to be the major reason.

R

R W

I've got a Powermatic (sitting in the garage) with a coupler, and it runs smooth as silk. It's all in the alignment.

Name
BradFenstermaker
Albert look up Motion Industy in you area. They most likely will have that coupler in stock.

If not next day one from your Dist. Make sure you realign everything as good as you can.

Later

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I'll keep it in mind for next time Brad.

Got the tm back today. The coupler has a male and female gear, the teeth were pretty worn which seems to have caused the problem. The new coupler has pins on it due to other folks having difficulty with this part.

Albert

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom