I think I found the ultimate Greasy Grout solution

Mikey P

Administrator
2 ounce Oxy Blaster and 2 cups Purple Power to a gallon of water.

I wish I had taken a video of a Fish restaurant we did today.

Like butta.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
I have been using/trying two different brews the last two weeks.

1st - Barebones stripper -16oz/gal with 2oz Citrus chisel (betco).....mop on and let sit for 15 mins - no scrubbing needed.

2nd - Prochem tile acid (via directions) spiked with 2oz of scott's citrus boost per gal.

Both worked with very minimal scrubbing of either the brush or icapsol. Not sure which I like better. Used the barebones mixture on some old marble. Plus stripper is much cheaper than "carpet" product. You can dilute to your liking.

Fon Johnson

That does not surprise me. I have found that Element 8 works great for tile and grout. My favorite still holds up though.. Duane's Grime Be Gone. Have you tried it? It has worked better than anything, including many brands of stripper.

You guys just remember to MOP that stripper on. I have seen people spray it down (even using a hydroforce) and you DO NOT want to atomize that stuff and get it in your lungs. It can lead to kidney and liver damage, amongst other issues.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
boazcan said:
I have been using/trying two different brews the last two weeks.

1st - Barebones stripper -16oz/gal with 2oz Citrus chisel (betco).....mop on and let sit for 15 mins - no scrubbing needed.

2nd - Prochem tile acid (via directions) spiked with 2oz of scott's citrus boost per gal.

Both worked with very minimal scrubbing of either the brush or icapsol. Not sure which I like better. Used the barebones mixture on some old marble. Plus stripper is much cheaper than "carpet" product. You can dilute to your liking.

umm you realize that the acid doesnt break down grease and the like???

lemme tell you all this right now about stripper...

IT IS A GLORIFIED DEGREASER!!!!!!!

it has 1 or a few other things (depending on the product) that degreasers dont.. they are made to break down the zinc bindings in floor finish.. mainly the monoethlamine..(close on spelling)

the degreaser side of it, is used to break down the plastizisers and soften the polymers there by allowing the mono to get in their and do its thing...

thats why alot of commercial presprays break down finish..

ok there is your science lesson for the week

Fon Johnson

Ok, guys, let's go a little further with chemistry here. There are two types of soil: organic and inorganic. Organic soils are broken down by high pH, and inorganic soils are broken down by low pH. Stripper works well for greasy soils because most strippers are a very high (alkaline) pH. The biggest problem with strippers is the fact that they (most of them) contain some nasty stuff, much of which can do serious harm to the body. Low pH (acid) cleaners will break down inorganic materials. The majority of soil you will find (grease, body fluids, dirt, animal fats, etc.) are broken down by the alkaline cleaner. The few things left such as efflorescence, uric salts, and other minerals are broken down by the acid cleaners. Acid cleaners also etch cementious grout (think for a minute here about what cement is composed of) which removes stains which are not deep.

Many of the "oxygen" cleaners are a little higher in pH, plus they have a mild bleaching action. Add a degreaser to that, and the pH goes up even further. There is a lot more to it such as builders, chelation, etc., but the basics of pH hold true for carpet, tile and grout, or any other cleaning. Just pay attention to what is in your cleaner or stripper and use proper precautions. Some of that stuff is really nasty.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Steven Hoodlebrink said:
http://www.betco.com/SearchCenter/Pages/SearchItemDetail.aspx?ProdDispGrp=170

This is what I was talking about. Non-butyl it won't kill your lungs. Just don't get it on your hands as it tends to dry them out quick!

OUt of all those degreasers in the Betco line, including butyls, which do you think would be the most effective in removing a wax/sealer out of a grout. I have 120 rooms that were sealed with a topical sealer that is a major PIA to get off the tile and even tougher to get off the grout. I have tried barebones and citrus chisel with some success but it still took way too long. I open for ideas, they want if off and know that it is going to cost them.

Thanks.

Fon Johnson

Bryan, do you know what kind of sealer/finish it is? Spartan's Endura strip is the best I have used. It was designed to remove their laminate (Dura Prime) sealer and their fortified finishes. Endura strip and even emulsifier plus will remove Johnson's products. You have to be sure to resist the temptation to mix the stripper too strong, as Endura strip mixed to strong will just make a gooey mess. I would flood it, and give lots of dwell time, mop again, more dwell time and then scrub. A brush will get it clean, or a really rough pad that has LOTS of texture will even get into the grout. I personally do NOT pick up the slurry with the tm. We vacuum the slurry with a typhoon, and then just use the turbo to blast the grout lines. It may take 3 or 4 times to get the grout reasonably clean. Sometimes you can get most of the finish out of the grout, but rarely can you get it perfect. I'll post pictures of some of the brushes we use for this sometime Wed. evening.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Steven Hoodlebrink said:
http://www.betco.com/SearchCenter/Pages/SearchItemDetail.aspx?ProdDispGrp=77

That have it in a aerosol form as well and call it baseboard stripper. Strong stuff and break up a lot of finishes, and suspend them. I would recommend you dry vac it up.

did it, worked ok, but still stuff on it.

IMG_1278.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Fon Johnson said:
Bryan, do you know what kind of sealer/finish it is?

I have been trying to find that out for 4 weeks now from the hotel. Their invoice from the previous company says "impregnator" :roll:

Spartan's Endura strip is the best I have used. It was designed to remove their laminate (Dura Prime) sealer and their fortified finishes. Endura strip and even emulsifier plus will remove Johnson's products. You have to be sure to resist the temptation to mix the stripper too strong, as Endura strip mixed to strong will just make a gooey mess. I would flood it, and give lots of dwell time, mop again, more dwell time and then scrub. A brush will get it clean, or a really rough pad that has LOTS of texture will even get into the grout. I personally do NOT pick up the slurry with the tm. We vacuum the slurry with a typhoon, and then just use the turbo to blast the grout lines. It may take 3 or 4 times to get the grout reasonably clean. Sometimes you can get most of the finish out of the grout, but rarely can you get it perfect. I'll post pictures of some of the brushes we use for this sometime Wed. evening.

No easy way out, I wreckon? I will get the endura strip and give it a shot. Its a big ticket if I can figure it out.

Thank you for the help.

Fon Johnson

An impregnator should not be a problem as far as cleaning unless they sealed a bunch of crap in. Often a good soaking with an alkaline cleaner will remove SOME impregnators. I'd mop on stripper and let it soak really good. I'll post some pics of brushes under a new thread entitled "brushes" LOL.

Gary T

Johnson's Fastrip is the best I have used. Remember many of these strippers are best with cool water. Hot water greatly reduces their efficiency. Fastrip has only failed me once.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Fon Johnson said:
An impregnator should not be a problem as far as cleaning unless they sealed a bunch of crap in. Often a good soaking with an alkaline cleaner will remove SOME impregnators. I'd mop on stripper and let it soak really good. I'll post some pics of brushes under a new thread entitled "brushes" LOL.

Fon, it was not even close to being an impregnator. Not sure whether they didn't know what they were doing or charged them more for wax.

Fon Johnson

Sadly, it is common for janitorial companies to "wax" ceramic to make it shiny and pretty (barf.) Endurastrip should work. I have heard good things about the Fastrip, but we have not used it. I stopped using Johnson's products years ago. It was (at least at my local supplier) WAAAAAAYYYY over priced. Just resist that temptation to mix it HOT, or TOO STRONG.

Gary T

Fon.... I buy online, so the price isn't horrible. It is still expensive but it dilutes out quite nicely. On some jobs I have stripped wax at 32:1. I don't really worry about product price because it does save on labor and I do reflect it in my price.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
the hot water evaporates the chems in the stripper.. the carriers and the stuff like that..some strippers are buildup using achol soooo it evaporates faster...

ok here is a link

http://www.johnsondiversey.com/Cultures ... Rapids.htm

i used at the 1-16 and had a holy hell thick mess it took right out..

in fact my worker reached up in the machine to clean something out (dont ask i dunno why) anyway a few minutes later he rubbed his arm and bam the new nair...strip his arm hair...

anyway i have some i take with me when i have issues....this stuff is nasty..but spendy

The Preacher

i too like endura strip, but one of my fav's is Buckeye Juggernaut. cold mix at 8ozs per gal on T&G will save/make you some $$$!!!

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Fon Johnson said:
Bryan, do you know what kind of sealer/finish it is? Spartan's Endura strip is the best I have used. It was designed to remove their laminate (Dura Prime) sealer and their fortified finishes. Endura strip and even emulsifier plus will remove Johnson's products. You have to be sure to resist the temptation to mix the stripper too strong, as Endura strip mixed to strong will just make a gooey mess. I would flood it, and give lots of dwell time, mop again, more dwell time and then scrub. A brush will get it clean, or a really rough pad that has LOTS of texture will even get into the grout. I personally do NOT pick up the slurry with the tm. We vacuum the slurry with a typhoon, and then just use the turbo to blast the grout lines. It may take 3 or 4 times to get the grout reasonably clean. Sometimes you can get most of the finish out of the grout, but rarely can you get it perfect. I'll post pictures of some of the brushes we use for this sometime Wed. evening.

Fon, can you give me a link to this Spartan product? Thanks.

White Collar

Name
Nick Petersen
Are these products you use in peoples homes or just on commercial?

Reason I ask is I did a kitchen and bathroom today, bathroom came up great but could not get kitchen grout lines clean, I scrubbed and scrubbed. I told her I'd figure something out and come back because it wasnt cheap. What is the best thing I can get locally to really get the grout lines clean? I'm not sure if it is sealer or what that was making it look so bad, but man it wasnt budging.

Also, what do I extract it with?

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
That's some stubborn stuff there Bryan. I don't know if you've mentioned it but have you asked what they used?. Check out the janitorial closet, may get some clues.
Have you tried a solvent based stripper?. I know it's nasty stuff but may take out that last bit without much effort. There's an aerosol paint stripper (nasty but easy to apply). You can also try the citrastrip stuff. Just a thought.

Albert

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
.....and the rest of this story on the sealer on tile.............

Used bare bones mixed 1:4 and let dwell for 40 mins. Brushed in with nylo grit hand brush and then grout brush. Turbo'd off. Small pieces left on grout, let dry and then brushed the small pieces off with with either wire brush or grout brush. Not easy, but did it.

Dwell, dwell, dwell.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom