ID a stone

Name
Jason
The lady mostly wants the etchings taken out of it. I found some scratches and she says she doesn't see them and doesn't care about getting them--she's calling me because of the etching.

She is was not totally excited about "ultra-shine" though. She would like a floor that would be etch resistant. She has a dog that lays his face on a certain tile and that has etched it. Other etchings from spilled cleaner or other kitchen liquid. She doesn't want it to look freakish slippery or anything. I saw the reflection from the front door--it's in one of the pics--it's dull. I think she would love the whole so-called ultra polish. It's under 1000 sq ft. Hallways, bathrooms, kitchen, laundry, entrance. About 800 sq ft.

Name
Jason
I did go through a stone yard recently and got some samples of marble, granite and limestone. The limestone I got is light colored not anything like this black.

Name
Jason
First I have to make the sale.

I think I would have to tape off the baseboards a few inches all around. Sweep with a brand new broom. Use a 800, 1500, 3000 and diamond renew it, if that is right for limestone. Maybe I could just 3000 it if that got the etches out, and diamond renew.

Idk about the scratches, maybe be ready to feather down those areas if necessary--don't want to leave them and have somebody else see them and wonder who just polished your floor. She said she's never noticed them and didn't care about light scratches.

There is some detail work under toilets and in corners--is that how you do it Mike?

Then lay on a sealer that will hopefully resist her dog's life on it. I forgot to say above that she definitely wants the sealer--the etches out and sealing.

Got to be at least 4$ per foot for all that ! ? Maybe 5 with extra coat of sealer :lol:

Unless there is a way to just take the etches out with a hand tool and have that be cool--seal it without polish :cry:

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
Looks like there may be a coating on it , from the one pic
Also inconsistent dirty grout lines indicates topical sealer applied inconsistent
Also you have missing grout, means that tile near grout is hollow I willing to wager.. Nines to inspect entire floor
DO NOT put a topical back on this stone, it will scratch on day 1... Penetrant only

Reactions: Jason del Norte

Mikey P

Administrator
yeah, in this pic it does sort of look like something is on top... none of the others though IMO

attachment.php

Name
cameron demille
I dont know the name of this limestone, but I have worked on it a few times. It is very soft and etches very easily. I don't think there is anything on top of it. It is not easy to polish with clarity. It looks like someone tried to polish it but didn't really know what they were doing, that's why it has no clarity. The splotchiness of the polish is a giveaway as well. This stone is generally very soft, but has some hard areas. It needs to be taken as high as possible with diamonds, then polished lightly with something like MB-22 or maybe 5x. It is very easy to overpolish and burn.

Back
Top Bottom