"I'll show U who the boss is!"

Ed Valentine

Name
Ed Valentine
I have witnessed a more common problem over the past few years as perhaps some of you have as well, what a few Operators have displayed toward their employees. That problem is controlling their anger.

Allow me to share this story that may be helpful:

This little boy had a (bad) anger problem. His Father gave him a bag of nails and told him every time he lost his temper, he must hammer a nail into the fence.

The first day, the boy drove in 37 nails into the fence! Over the next few weeks, as he controlled his anger, the number of nails hammered daily gradually dwindled. He discovered it was easier to hold his temper than to drive all those nails. Finally, the day came when he didn't lose his temper at all.

He happily told his Father about it and the Father told the boy to now pull out one nail for each day he was able to hold his temper.

Days passed and finally all the nails were gone.

The Father took his son by the hand, back to that fence and told him; "You have done very well, but look at all the holes in the fence. The fence will never be the same. When you say things in anger they leave scars that will never go away. They will be there to the end.

Gentlemen, some of us must remember this story because the issue of displaying anger can and will ruin most businesses as well as personal relationships and/or households.

Solve your problems logically and communicate with intelligence. Always think before you speak.

Just a common sense (??) comment that I hope helps at least one.

best always;

Ed Valentine(wink)
cross-American.com

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Maybe Ed, this should be drummed into us in kindergarten.

It's only as one gets older and matures that these simplistic thoughts appear, which is usually already to late.

Unfortunately, I can speak from experience here, having made several blunders over the decades.:redface:

I have read it before but thanks for posting it again.

:very_drunk:

Reactions: Ed Valentine

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Definitely agree ed, we have to keep our frustrations inside. Big mistake to yell, argue, especially swear at an employee.

Sometimes feel like i have become too patient but think its just the maturity process of being a business owner. We go through these different stages and look at this differently in year 5 or 10 then in the beginning. This is a subject where experience matters.

Ed Valentine

Name
Ed Valentine
Mikey;

Just mend those holes in your socks. That would be a great step in the right direction!

hee-hee-hee.

Thanks;
Ed V

Name
Torrey Whitaker
Good post.

This kind of goes hand in hand with something that's been saying on my mind lately as I'm trying to delegate my labor out.

Bill Yeadon shared this with me.

http://youtu.be/qp0HIF3SfI4

Im trying to apply this in a small way with two guys I have working for me on my night commercial work. Even in past career avenues I've pursued I see micromanagement and emotional based business decisions ruin great things. Its hard to explain what I mean.

Reactions: Mikey P

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You have to empower people, give them a chance to prove themselves. If they fail then don't chastise them but work with them to "get it" then you'll have a much more productive employee.

Yelling gets you no where, people shut down, they get defensive and don't listen when yelled at. You're much better off sitting down AFTER the event and calmly discussing the problem.

Ed were those frustrated owners......portable operators? Cause I could certainly see that. :p

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom