I'm at an impasse(changing blower belts). How do I get this dam (under blower) clamp off???

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Yea, going along somewhat smoothly. Than I get to this clamp thing, the front of it is loose, the back seems stuck. Tried raising and lowering the blower with the bolts, didn't help.

Any ideas? It's gotta be suck, right? Tried smacking it a little - screwdriver and hammer. Should I keep smacking it?

Also, it appears that the bottom piece coming out of blower(threaded round thing) is screwed into the hx/waterbox. I'm supposed to be able to slide the blower back when I get this clamp off.

Looks like one piece is inside the other... Meaning nothings sliding anywhere.

20170722_155711.jpg
20170722_155654.jpg

I gotta work monday! Any help?!

Vacuum Pump:

Belt Replacement Procedures for Model 370:

1) Disconnect the negative battery cable
2) Remove hose from waste tank to vacuum pump
3) Remove hoods
4) Remove top panel (6 screws)
5) Remove left and right hand belt guards
6) Loosen all 4 blower mounting nuts
7) Remove clamp between blower & silencer
8) Slide the blower back (away from engine)

9) Lower front 2 nuts located under the front of blower mounting plate approximately ½”
10) Tip the back of blower up
11) Remove all belts. Install new belts
12) Reverse procedures to install new belts
13) After belts have been installed, check for proper tension and alignment. Do this using a belt gauge. Set deflection to 1/8”; 10-12 lbs tension
14) Check pulleys for alignment using a straight edge (example: ½” key stock). Make sure pulley flange touches on 2 places on each pulley (4 total places)
15) Estimated time, 2 hours

FredC

Village Idiot
assuming you have removed the nut from the v-band clamp you should be able to do as Lee suggest

edit: Vclamp...maybe seeing it work will give you a plan of attack

Last edited:

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Ohh, thank goodness...

Yep just keep hitting softly with a screwdriver and hammer it popped off. That diagram is soo much better than what I had. Couldn't tell how it(clamp) worked/came apart.

Thank you fellas!!!

20170722_170338.jpg
20170722_170345.jpg

Belt are off, new ones going on!

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
14) Make sure pulley flange touches on 2 places on each pulley (4 total places)

One more question...
What do they mean? It's a belt, how can it touch in two places on each pulley?

steve_64

2 hour procedure to change a set of belts if everything goes right?
Not a very good design if you need to move blowers or engines to change a set of belts.
Took about ten minutes first time on my WM.

steve_64

Hey Jerry, I'm in Clinton for a cousin's wedding and heading home soon. How much are you out of the way heading east on 30?

If you want me to stop by give me a shout. I'd love to meet the family and see your rig.

Reactions: Russ T.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Fred had you going in the right direction and in the right way.
Next time it will take you a quarter of the time to do the belts now that you have done it once.

I agree, Fred(and everyone) extremely helpful. Next time(if there is a next time) it will be much quicker. Other than not knowing how the clamp thing worked, pretty easy.

All that's left for today - line it up and bolt it down.

1st new set Jerry?
How many hours?

Yes, first time doing belts, 3k hours. From what I hear about other tms 3k is pretty darn good. That goofy little fan must be doing something!

Probally saved myself 4(at least) hours waiting at the disty and 400 bucks!

I did have one more question..........

One of the pulleys had recessed areas for the teeth of the belt to grab. I wasn't able to get the teeth into the pulley grooves. I'd imagine if I turn the key a little(not start it) it will slip until the belt teeth grabs the goooves on the pulley? Is that right? Please say yes!

Positive_Drive_Belt_Pulley_edit.jpg

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
KevinD said: ↑
2 hour procedure to change a set of belts if everything goes right?
Not a very good design if you need to move blowers or engines to change a set of belts.
Took about ten minutes first time on my WM.

Ten minutes? Dam direct drives! Sounds like it's working out pretty good for you, Steve!

Hey Jerry, I'm in Clinton for a cousin's wedding and heading home soon. How much are you out of the way heading east on 30?
If you want me to stop by give me a shout. I'd love to meet the family and see your rig.

It appreciated, but your nuts!:rockon: It's like 200 miles from Clinton and you'd have to drive through the city(chicago) and it's going to be 88 today!

I'm pretty much on my way, Steve. It really is appreciated.

steve_64

Lol yeah it's 200 miles home to Michigan. I go around Chicago south on I80.

Glad you got things or are getting things sorted.

Yep I'm LOVING the WM but considering something new or newer in the future though. This thing is so easy to operate and maintain.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
3k hrs on one set of belts? Let us know if you can tell a difference in suction with these new belts.

Reactions: Nomad74

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Okay, back together, piece of cake... Going to leave the covers/guards off for a day or so, keep an eye on it.

However... Is it normal to have to adjust the vacuum relief valve on the blower after changing belts? If so, to increase hg's I would tighten the nuts, correct?

Hand covering vac tube at full throttle I'm only getting up to 11hg on my gauge.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Okay, back together, piece of cake... Going to leave the covers/guards off for a day or so, keep an eye on it.

However... Is it normal to have to adjust the vacuum relief valve on the blower after changing belts? If so, to increase hg's I would tighten the nuts, correct?

Hand covering vac tube at full throttle I'm only getting up to 11hg on my gauge.
Did you tighten the belts to move only 1/8"?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Belts are tight, don't seem to have any leaks. Only place it could leak is the clamp below the blower.

My vac relief is opening at 10-11(used to open at 14)...... Uggggg. Tried messing with this and both nuts don't move, how would I adjust this? Why would it be different now?

20170723_172816.jpg

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Belts are tight, don't seem to have any leaks. Only place it could leak is the clamp below the blower.

My vac relief is opening at 10-11(used to open at 14)...... Uggggg. Tried messing with this and both nuts don't move, how would I adjust this? Why would it be different now?

View attachment 73652
You might need a new gasket that plugs those holes on the inside. The wd40 that we use over time will cause that to dry rot. I had to replace mine on my prochem legend for that reason.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Had to use a breaker bar to get the lock nut(2nd nut) loose tightened it up a bit. Got my vac relief to go up to 13 under full load(plugged) intake. However, the engine is bogging down a bit(full load), like it's working to hard....

:hopeless:

steve_64

I'd take it all apart and start over. Watch your alignments on everything. Something isn't hooked up right.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Had to use a breaker bar to get the lock nut(2nd nut) loose tightened it up a bit. Got my vac relief to go up to 13 under full load(plugged) intake. However, the engine is bogging down a bit(full load), like it's working to hard....

:hopeless:
Hang in there brother. You're going to get this and feel much more confident with your money maker. Whatever it it, it sounds cheap to fix.

All of your major components were working properly before the change, right?

You'll get it.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
So did you figure it out Jerry?

Not sure, Steve... I think I'm okay, made it through work yesterday.

I think on of the belts might not have lined up correctly with the belt grooves on the pulley. One belt seemed tighter than the other after changing them.

Yesterday I think it slipped back into it's spot. Hand over vac intake and I'm getting the lift up to 14-15. Backed the relief valve off a little and it seems to be okay.

Hey Steve! You were right a couple months ago when you were asking if people were spending more. They are, seems like real estate market for larger homes 3000sqft + homes are really moving now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom