I’m feeling off-gassy

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Posting this because of Mikey’s Thread a couple of weeks ago about off gassing. My day made me think of that.

Once again I came across a damaged carpet. I was cleaning for this very nice couple that just bought this house as an investment rental. They were working very hard to get it perfect for their new tenants. Myself, having owned well over 150 rental units, felt bad for them because I know the education they would be getting shortly would be expensive. There is “rental quality” and there is “I’m going to live here” quality. They hadn’t discovered the rental quality yet.

As I’m doing my walk through I notice some damage to the carpet. It looks like crappy poly. I confirmed this with a burn test and a Mass spectrometer-analysis. I see pile reversal and fiber crushing and wear. I also see off gassing damage from furniture. The customers were clearly in denial because they were under the impression it was a very high grade carpet. The man even got down on the floor and spread the fibers apart telling me, “Look, you can’t even see the backing through the fibers”. I felt bad for them, but continued with my pre-inspection disclosing my findings.

In the pic you can see the color damage and then to the upper right the wear. The master bedroom showed pile reversal in front of the sliding glass door.

6A777354-AD2B-4BA1-AC2C-1B765CA47293.jpeg
C05D9B31-EB49-4DDA-AA0F-3D83BB27D93D.jpeg
E77DEF52-DADA-4497-8E6D-56B892520532.jpeg

Last edited:

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Did you ever fully convince him that the carpet was damaged from off gassing, and not dirty?
Actually Matt, I think I've reached the point where I don't care anymore. Things have bitten me in the ass too many times. So now I just call it like I see it. Just like when I first started with my rentals. The first time I had to evict a tenant I cried. After I did it a few times I toughened up and it became a sport. Same thing with carpet. I don't care anymore about people's denial. The truth will set you free.

Last edited:

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I'd like to see the piece of furniture that was there. From the photos it looks like that may have been the original color and the surrounding area got Sun faded and wear and tear and that why the difference in appearance.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I'd like to see the piece of furniture that was there. From the photos it looks like that may have been the original color and the surrounding area got Sun faded and wear and tear and that why the difference in appearance.
I think you're right. That room had west facing windows and with the Redding heat, its a bad mix.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
From the photos it looks like that may have been the original color and the surrounding area got Sun faded and wear and tear and that why the difference in appearance

that's what it is
Damon had to make up some rocket surgery blather to sound impotent
or he actually believes the nonsense they didn't understand ....

:icon_redface::icon_redface:

:lol::lol:

..L.T.A.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Taco bell is 1/2 a block away from me. Jack in the box and KFC is 1 block away. Wendy's is 2 blocks away. In and Out, McDonald's, krispy cream and Carl's Jr are less then a mile away.
You would be in Heaven Damon..:lol:

Reactions: SamIam and Nomad74

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I'm ten miles from nowhere

nearest "anything" is a general store 5 miles south where a loaf of stale bread is 4 bukz

There is a Subway at the Marathon fuel/truck stop 10 miles down the interstate
and they have Krispie Kreams too!!!

..L.T.A.

Reactions: SamIam

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom