Insurance Question for O/O

JohnnyV

How Much insurance do you guys carry? In the past doing Janitorial work I've had to carry as much as 5miL but I'm not doing that anymore. My premiums right now are outrageous and I need to make some changes Quick!

Thanks in advance
JohnnyV

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
in our early jani days we carried none, and none of those accounts ever asked for it. we then got 500,000 after a few years. we still have the 500k, i should get 1mill this year.

thanx --- Derek.

ron markam

One million and the premiums are very reasonable.If you are done with Janitorial your insurance savings might buy a vortex.

JeffC

Name
Jeff
John,
One million here. I'm in KC Mo. We're a corporation with a couple part-time guys. I'm paying around $900 a year. No janitorial, just cleaning carpet and tile.
Jeff Cutshall

G

2 mil but only 1 mil per episode. Just make sure you can get replacement costs on your equipment and lost income if in an accident. I learned the hard way...Insurance companies suck!

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
1 million with vehicle insurance and replacement cost on equipment

Zurich, AAA++ rated company I believe, purchased through a broker not an insurance agent

JohnnyV

I'm just so amazed at the range of prices I got from Independent agents. I called another local statefarm agent and he very politically correctly told me I was getting hosed! So I called my Agent and held their feet to the Fire. Amazingly they came up with a rate that was half of what I'm paying now. So I'm changing Agents. They've been Stealing from me since April. Gee just think This guy and his wife are very active in their Church.

G

2 Million. I have coverage thru Erie. I think they operate in 17 states along the east coast.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Two million, but even that isn't enough for certain accounts. The boys will likely incorporate at some point soon when they get that worked out.

Becker

Name
Becker
Same as Steve F.

The replacement insurance was not a lot more than standard.

Better than the no insurance I had when I was 21 and had all my stuff jacked.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
ron markam said:
One million and the premiums are very reasonable.If you are done with Janitorial your insurance savings might buy a vortex.

so Ron, we are now done with jani (other than our dentist's small place every-other week which we don't need it for). if we inform our nationwide agent of this, then our rates will go down if they're only covering CC'ing?

i'll have to call tomorrow...thanx for the idea :!: :)

thanx --- Derek.

JohnnyV

Thanks for all the replies! I had the janitorial thing for 20 years. Strange but liability is cheaper for Carpet Cleaning but Workmans Comp is More. No more employees for awhile. Maybe Dad had it right just paying a helper.

blaisesdaddy

2 Million. It's been a few years since a comm. acct asked for proof of insurance, but I used to get asked all the time. In fact, I used to include it with my bid proposals for a while. I pay just under $1100.00 for the year with State Farm. The rates were so good that I ended up switching my comm. auto and my private auto as well. I used to be insured by Westfield. Their rates climbed every year for the past 5, so I jumped a few months ago.

ron markam

I have been told by several people that the reason liability is so high for janitorial is cause of stripping and refinishing floors.Some insurance agents have said slip and fall claims while stripping is a large percentage of their claims.

JohnnyV

Yup, I've bounced my ass off of a wet slimy floor a few times....Slippers for Strippers have pretty much taken care of that problem tho...

Becker

Name
Becker
Yeah, My rates went up after my yearly audit when they found out I was doing tile and grout cleaning.

Like a client walking across a presprayed carpet onto vinyl is not gunna find it slippery.

Have yet to loss a client to a fall yet.

-JB-

Name
JB
Funny story-

Had a client years ago, I had just pre-sprayed the dinning room and looked around for here to tell her to watch her step if she happened to walk thru the room, but she was nowhere to be found. So I stepped out to my truck to bring in something when I was walking back by the window when I looked in and to my horror saw her coming out of the room, I ran in the house I found her sprawled out dead on the floor.

Just kidding, ( I know that ain't funny, get over it)

Any how she was laying bass acwards on the floor, so I ran over and helped her up and apologized profusely. She said she was in the basement when I went out, and I shouldn't feel bad as the only thing she hurt was her pride, (good thing she has so much "pride" back there).
Later on in the job we got to talking about how she knew what it was like to be self-employed, as her husband was also self-employed, but I never figured out what he did . At the end of job I asked what her husband did for a living? She replied "he's an attorney"

SH!T !
No Joke
So I asked her if I should just leave the keys to the van and walk home, or would she give me a ride? Luckily she was a referral of a big family I did work for so I was pretty sure nothing but a funny story would come of it...
I was right, that time.

JohnnyV

Before I ever bring anything in, I go over what we'll be doing,any special concerns and then have them read and sign the box with the "slip hazard" warning. So far so good.

It sucks but if you have any personal or business wealth, you'd be advised to double check on your Insurance Coverages.

Of course if you're worthless, you don't need any Insurance

JohnnyV

P.S. Don't forget to check on your equipment to see if its covered and under which policy. After the incident they will tell you "Sorry ignorance about your coverages is no Excuse". Statefarm requires you to carry an Inland Marine policy to cover equipment that travels around with you.

Rob Lyon

Name
Rob Lyon
Two million, due to our accounts in some larger medical type facilities
and vast property managed buildings. It is required by one business
in particular but the premium is not cheap!!

All The Best, Rob

John Watson

Almost 3 yrs ago (Mar 4th) on my way to Tony's last day of his leather restoring class in Seattle I was involved in a 3 car pile up on I-5. I was car # 3. Got served 2 weeks ago that middle car is probably going to try for more than my 1,000,000. Ins co Safco is gearing up their lawyers on my behalf, but looking out for them first. If goes to trial and is awarded more, then it's my dollar..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom