Interview with Christopher Davis 2-15-07

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Thanks for your direct, no BS answers. This is a very refreshing experience for all of us, Chris.

Do you feel we'll continue to see an increase in the sales of PET?

harryhides

Name
Tony
Chris, does the wfca have much or any influence at all on the thinking of their members? For example how have they responded to your on-line training programs or to the design assistance features that you offer.
Do you send out a newsletter to your membership and if so how often?

Mikey P

Administrator
Chris
Have you ever been dragged into a lawsuit involving faulty or poor quality carpet between a mill and an end user?

Are you or do you feel pressured to side with the mils?

Dolly

Hot Seat

I think Chris lisa makes a valid observation.

It is very hard to receive quality help in making wise carpet purchase choices.

You can go to many carpet stores and not receive knowledgeable help
in fact the carpet stores I have visited over the years know little, but you can believe pushing a sale is more important.

I can tell you of one in particular in the area I once lived that has higher prices, but they know carpet and will educate you on the whys and ifs.

When you are ready to leave you know what you bought. It is also installed correctly.

You will not find a majority of retailers of that caliber anymore that you will find the majority of carpet cleaners or installers of high caliber.

I think we all have legitimate concerns. I think we need strong assurances.

You also may not have a lot you can mention about the IICRC, but someone like myself who does not have handy a place for such courses, the time to take away from work and other responsibilities would like to see , just like collage courses are now offered, on line.

I don't test well. In fact I probably would not test real well even though I have run rings around most cleaners including those that have the IICRC certifications. Taking a test and passing it does not necessarily make a person be a quality cleaner for performance and result.

How can something like that be overcome.

I know I have asked a lot of questions and given comments. So I will stop at taking more time.

Thanks you

Darlene

Chris Davis

Re: wood refinishing

steve frasier said:
wood floor refinishing, do you do any of this or do any consulting on how to
I don't even know the fuzzy side goes up on carpet. This is why there is a National Wood Floooring Association. Bless them.

Chris Davis

Vincent said:
Chris

do you know how many claims that have been submitted by the customer was due in part the manufactures error?

I'm sure someone or some organization tries to keep these stats.

CarpetOne claims they surveyed their members and the overwhelming majority are product problems.

Chris Davis

Jim Pemberton said:
Thanks for your direct, no BS answers. This is a very refreshing experience for all of us, Chris.

Do you feel we'll continue to see an increase in the sales of PET?

I hope not.

Scott

Chris -

From what I know of you, you're quite a visionary. Let's fast-forward 5 years from now. In your opinion, do you see carpet back to a strong growth phase? And if so, would you give credit for the SOA helping the cause or merely because the trend is back to carpet?

harryhides

Name
Tony
Chris Davis said:
Vincent said:
Chris

do you know how many claims that have been submitted by the customer was due in part the manufactures error?

CarpetOne claims they surveyed their members and the overwhelming majority are product problems.

That brings us right back to PET and Staple yarns being used far more in recent times. Certainly those products constitute the majority of the Inspections that I do.
Do you think that the Mills will catch on first? Or the customers ?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Do you think a cleaner is best served by trying to please the requirements of a carpet manufacturer or in trying to develop an individual relationship with a local retailer through great service and ethical practices?

Chris Davis

harryhides said:
Chris, does the wfca have much or any influence at all on the thinking of their members? For example how have they responded to your on-line training programs or to the design assistance features that you offer.
Do you send out a newsletter to your membership and if so how often?

I wish we could say we had tremendous influence over our members. Actually, I could say that, but it probably would not be true. We are getting good response to our new TrainingSpace programs, but that may be because we are letting members use 100% of their annual trade scholarship allocation from us to buy it. It is a promising development...

Chris Davis

Mikey P said:
Chris
Have you ever been dragged into a lawsuit involving faulty or poor quality carpet between a mill and an end user?

Are you or do you feel pressured to side with the mils?

No. We were constantly sued everytime someone spilled a glass of water at Surfaces. We have absolutely no pressure whatsoever to ever side with the mills in any kind of lawsuit.

Chris Davis

ODIN said:
I was going to ask a question but tony asked me to be nice.

So what's your handicap single or double digit

be honest?

thank you

T
My handicap is I never took up golf, and no, I don't caddy, either.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Chris, do you feel that the Mills have become more or less responsive and appreciative of our two arms of the Floor covering Industry in the last few years ?
And if not what do you think is the best way to get their attention?

We have felt like they were trying to compete with us when both Dupont and then Shaw and now Mohawk attempted to get into the cleaning business. Have the Retailers also felt the same way at times?

Chris Davis

Re: Hot Seat

Dolly said:
I think Chris lisa makes a valid observation.

It is very hard to receive quality help in making wise carpet purchase choices.

You can go to many carpet stores and not receive knowledgeable help
in fact the carpet stores I have visited over the years know little, but you can believe pushing a sale is more important.

I can tell you of one in particular in the area I once lived that has higher prices, but they know carpet and will educate you on the whys and ifs.

When you are ready to leave you know what you bought. It is also installed correctly.

You will not find a majority of retailers of that caliber anymore that you will find the majority of carpet cleaners or installers of high caliber.

I think we all have legitimate concerns. I think we need strong assurances.

You also may not have a lot you can mention about the IICRC, but someone like myself who does not have handy a place for such courses, the time to take away from work and other responsibilities would like to see , just like collage courses are now offered, on line.

I don't test well. In fact I probably would not test real well even though I have run rings around most cleaners including those that have the IICRC certifications. Taking a test and passing it does not necessarily make a person be a quality cleaner for performance and result.

How can something like that be overcome.

I know I have asked a lot of questions and given comments. So I will stop at taking more time.

Thanks you

Darlene
Darlene, I don't even know where to begin.... I don't know if any of you have seen our web site, but you should check it out. It's www.wfca.org. What we are attempting to do is be the unbiased source for the consumer about EVERY type of floor covering and EDUCATE them before they ever set foot in a store (and of course, we refer them to our member retailers). The point is when the CUSTOMER knows more about the product than the salesperson the salesperson looks like a FOOL (and the customer goes elsewhere). We now have members who make their slaes staff go through our site to learn about the products they sell. Sad, but true. As for testing, it generally is a good indication, but you are right, plenty of very intelligent, knowledgable people do not test well.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Chris, what is the best thing that carpet cleaners can do to help Retailers understand how much influence we have on whether our and their, customers go back to them when the time comes to buy more flooring or to go elsewhere?

My cleaning customers are constantly asking me for advice about what to look for when buying carpet especially when they are unhappy with their existing carpet's performance or it s installation.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Answer Odin Chris.

He's being really nice and well behaved and they aren't trick questions.......and he wasn't that nice to me on my Hot Seat(as I always remind him)......so feel honored!

harryhides

Name
Tony
Chris, what is the best thing that carpet cleaners can do to help Retailers understand how much influence we have on whether our and their, customers go back to them when the time comes to buy more flooring or to go elsewhere?

My cleaning customers are constantly asking me for advice about what to look for when buying carpet especially when they are unhappy with their existing carpet's performance or it s installation.

Chris Davis

ODIN said:
NO GOLF!

What is the real Chris about

what do you do to relax.

tell us about some of you vices

YOu like Cigars?

Fine wine?

Houte cuisine?

Please do tell

Fast, funny, intelligent and beautiful women, and fast cars.
Cigars are out (2 heart attacks already). Come to think of it, that may explain why no fast women, either. Oh well....
T

Mikey P

Administrator
Tony brings up a good question

If one of my loyal and very friendly Carpet retailers gets the dreaded letter from Shaw that tells them to dump me for some SOA squid what would/could I tell them?

What if they felt like they had no choice?

Chris Davis

Scott said:
Chris -

From what I know of you, you're quite a visionary. Let's fast-forward 5 years from now. In your opinion, do you see carpet back to a strong growth phase? And if so, would you give credit for the SOA helping the cause or merely because the trend is back to carpet?

Skirts go up, skirts go down. I think the consumer is very much more discriminating now and wants to create their own "look" in their environment. Carpet still has the bedroom and upstairs hall, but that's about it. However, a lot of folks covered up perfectly good wood floors with broadloom in the 50's and 60's, so who is to say it won't happen again, particularly if there is good design and perceived value.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
What do you think will happen to the SOA program if a majority of quality equipment manufacturers decide not to have their equipment tested?

As for the cars, muscle cars or sports cars?

Take care,
Lisa

Chris Davis

harryhides said:
Chris Davis said:
Vincent said:
Chris

That brings us right back to PET and Staple yarns being used far more in recent times. Certainly those products constitute the majority of the Inspections that I do.
Do you think that the Mills will catch on first? Or the customers ?

The mills are slow to catch on. Pray the customers do first.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Chris, I realize that only a small percentage of Retailers are members of your Association but of those Company's, what percentage do you think are even aware of the CRI's SOA proposed program?

And would it be fair to say that most Retailers are aware of the CRI105 and the warranty requirements but just don't care to work within the Mills guidelines?

Chris Davis

truckmount girl said:
What do you think will happen to the SOA program if a majority of quality equipment manufacturers decide not to have their equipment tested?

As for the cars, muscle cars or sports cars?

Take care,
Lisa

I think it would be a HUGE mistake for them not to submit their equipment for testing. I really think once they straighten some of the kinks out of the program that it'll fly. I had dinner with Werner Braun at Surfaces and he is commited to making it work.
I recently went to the BMW high performance school. The had to pry me out of that 600 hp M6.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Chris Davis said:
Scott said:
Chris -

Skirts go up, skirts go down. I think the consumer is very much more discriminating now and wants to create their own "look" in their environment. Carpet still has the bedroom and upstairs hall, but that's about it. However, a lot of folks covered up perfectly good wood floors with broadloom in the 50's and 60's, so who is to say it won't happen again, particularly if there is good design and perceived value.

I think that you are right, there is a local retailer here who tells me that 80% of his broadloom sales are wool products !! Largely because it has a better perceived value.

Chris Davis

harryhides said:
Chris, I realize that only a small percentage of Retailers are members of your Association but of those Company's, what percentage do you think are even aware of the CRI's SOA proposed program?

And would it be fair to say that most Retailers are aware of the CRI105 and the warranty requirements but just don't care to work within the Mills guidelines?

I got in a huge pile of dung a few years back when I wrote that retailers don't read. It so upset the editor/publisher of Floor Covering Weekly taht he went on a campaign to get me fired. At my next Board meeting I was expecting all the coverage to be a hot topic. Guess what? No one had read it!
I think very few retailers know about the CRI SOA program and probably are clueless what CRI-105 is, as well. For the most part they want flooring installed as quickly and inexpensively as possible. (Hey! There are some sterling exceptions, thankfully!)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom