Interview with James Bailey Smith 4-11-07

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Jim's Bio:

Professional Profile

RANGE:
James B. Smith works from an office located 30 miles north of Dallas, Texas although he is available to travel. The local area is defined as Denton, Collin, and the north part of Dallas County in Texas.

IICRC Certifications
Carpet Cleaning+ Carpet Cleaning Instructor

Commercial Carpet Maintenance + Commercial Carpet Maintenance Instructor

Upholstery & Fabric Cleaning + Upholstery & Fabric Cleaning Instructor

Color Repair, ten years of experience in spot dying + Color Repair Instructor

Odor Control

Fire & Smoke Restoration

Water Damage Restoration

Carpet Repair Reinstallation

Master Cleaning Technician

Substrate Subfloor Inspector

Senior Practicing Carpet Inspector

American Floor Covering Institute Certification
Carpet Inspector

Areas of specialty:
Appearance retention

Color variances

Education Background:
1987-1988 University Of Houston, Houston, Texas, Chemistry Major

1969-1971 Texas A&M University, Mechanical Engineering Major

Professional Membership:
INSTITUTE of INSPECTION, CLEANING and RESTORATION

Low Moisture Carpet Cleaner's Association

Current Positions:
President of the Low Moisture Carpet Cleaner's Association

Past Positions:
Director of Woolsafe North America 2002 - 2004

Second Vice President & Technical Director for the Low Moisture Carpet Cleaner's Association

President for the Low Moisture Carpet Cleaner's Association 2005

Carpet & Fabricare Chapter Director 1996 -1998

Carpet & Fabricare Technical Director 1997

IICRC BOARD MEMBER 1995 -1996

Classes Taught:
Numerous IICRC Classes for Carpet Cleaning Technician Certification

Professional Awards:
Winner of the 1996-97 Bill Bailey, an annual award from the Carpet & Fabricare Institute.

Patents and Publications:
A White Paper in association with the LOW MOISTURE CARPET CLEANER'S ASSOCIATION Published in Cleanfax Magazine, July, October, November 2004..

No patents, but developed many solutions in the carpet cleaning industry.

THESE ARE THE QUESTIONS THAT OUR MEMBERS HAVE SUBMITTED EARLIER, AND JIM'S RESPONSES

Why does he insist on wearing a goofy jacket when teaching a class or making a presentation? Does he really think most carpet cleaners are impressed with it? Did he really believe "Dress for Success?"
I am obviously not into fashion. The IICRC requires it.

What ever happened to Woolsafe?
Woolsafe has a new representative based out of California. I believe in Woolsafe’s cause and felt that my representing their position would be strengthened if It removed the money aspect.

When will the carpet cleaners have an organization that stands up for them?
Taking control of a carpet cleaning association is not has hard as you might think. Get involved and/or run for office. I personally have been an officer of the CFI, the President of the SMCCA, and now an officer of PCRA. However, the wave of the future is the internet.

Who really gives a shit about ph and molarity anyway?
Jeff Bishop and the CRI are absorbed in the pH issue to the exclusion of other topics. I heard Jeff talk about molarity too.

Who will be the first person to sue CRI/IICRC for their inept handling of SOA?
I am wondering about that myself. If you find out, let me know. I am an expert witness.

Would you let a cleaner “OPâ€ÂÂ

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
We'll let some of the folks read over your early answers, then get to the live questions as they come.

Any early birds who've already read them, jump in and ask away!

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
A question that I was asked to ask too late to post early was:

"Do you feel encapsulation is just shampooing? Back in the 60's and early 70's cleaners used to "allow the carpet to dry" and then vacuum away the "crystallized residue and soil"

Is encapsulation as we do it today really any different?

Mike P
Yes, I was a cleaner many times. My best company was Certified Carpet Cleaning of Plano Texas. We charge 35 cents per square foot in 1980. My first company was Metroplex Steamex located in Irving Texas ( 1976 to 1980.) James Gus Smith of Dalworth had the office next door to me. Today I still get involved in cleaning situations as an inspector

Mikey P

Administrator
Well since every one is mute..

How do you deal with "students" in your cct classes that you know are just plain morons?

You and I both know that this trade is filled with yokes who can barely tie their own shoes..

Do you ever fill guilty for sending them out to "clean" having skated by the test with a 76%?

The shampoo of the 70s had a DuPont additive called Ludox, ( I may be off on the spelling). We referred to it as an embrittling agent. An example of this would be aluminum silicate, a form of clay. It was not translucent like today's encapsulants.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Since Jim is obviously answering my more interesting question Mike, and taking his time with it,

I'll give you an answer while we wait.

We don't say "morons"

We say "students with learning barriers"

Be nice Mike

Mike Brummett

I recently got some marketing material from Scotchgard which states that "some" carpet manufacturers "require" that protection be applied after cleaning.

At least this is what they want you to tell Mrs. Customer.

I don't know of ANY manufacturers that require this.

Do you?

Thanks!

MIKE

Mikey P

Administrator
Do you see the boards and the info shared on them effecting the cleaning industry as a whole?

Can what happens here ever really get to the Coits and Stanleys?

I see those two in my area cleaning like it was 1972. Will the biggies ever go to high flow, big suck, speed drying, low residue chems etc?

I have two daughters. The oldest wants to become a chemist and make cosmetics. She also wants to attend my old school, Texas A&M. She is currently 16. I have not been able to get them interested in carpet cleaning yet.

Mike Brummett

Forgetting, for a moment, that CRI-SOA exists, do you support or oppose the mills new requirements that certain products must be cleaned ONLY by an IICRC Certified Firm or the warranty is void?

Please explain why.

Thanks,

MIKE

Mike Brummett said:
I recently got some marketing material from Scotchgard which states that "some" carpet manufacturers "require" that protection be applied after cleaning.

At least this is what they want you to tell Mrs. Customer.

I don't know of ANY manufacturers that require this.

Do you?

Thanks!

MIKE
Applying too much fluorochemical can make the carpet hydroscopic and then soil attracting. We should test carpet first before applying protection. My favorite test for fluorochemical is with baby oil. Gently place a drop at ground level and see if it beads. If it soaks into the fiber, then apply the protections.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
If I may ask again for Mike, Jim

He wants to know if any mill requires Scotchgard, or requires any fluorochemical to maintain warranty

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Given some of the comments I've read so far regarding PH and stain resist, can we be sure that when a chem manufacture claims "stain resist approved" that it indeed does NOT damage a carpets stain resist properties?

thanks

..L.T.A.

Mike Brummett said:
Forgetting, for a moment, that CRI-SOA exists, do you support or oppose the mills new requirements that certain products must be cleaned ONLY by an IICRC Certified Firm or the warranty is void?

Please explain why.

Thanks,

MIKE
There are other issues with the Certified Firm program. It speaks primarily of the ethics of the cleaner and not of the quality of the cleaning. Ethics are important, but is the consumer believing they are getting an excellent technician.

Mikey P

Administrator
Jim

What did you think of the Warner Braun interview here?

Emotions ran pretty high to put it lightly but I think he/they needed to hear our frustration..

Jim Pemberton said:
If I may ask again for Mike, Jim

He wants to know if any mill requires Scotchgard, or requires any fluorochemical to maintain warranty
I know of no mill that requires reapplication of protection. They have left this subject in a gray area of responsibilities. We all know it wears off. It is a good thing if we re-apply it. Few if any warranties are written the way they were in 1986.

Mike Brummett

I will post this again - I did it wrong earlier, I think:

If you were appointed as the President of IICRC and given the authority to pretty much do whatever you wanted to, how would you improve IICRC so that it would serve and represent carpet cleaners more effectively?

Please don't hold back!

MIKE

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Hi Jim!

Thanks for being here. How much would we have to pay you to give us a rundown on the REAL story of Ph and how it applies to cleaning. I know it has been way over-simplified, can you give us a quick education on this topic?

Thanks and take care,
Lisa

harryhides

Name
Tony
Jim, can you explain what it is about the Nylon carpets that were made in the 70's and 80's like "Hard Twist" that appear to be indestructible compared to today's carpet. What is it that is different, is it the construction, the twist or even the fiber quality itself - if there is such a thing.

Mikey P said:
Jim

What did you think of the Warner Braun interview here?

Emotions ran pretty high to put it lightly but I think he/they needed to hear our frustration..
I have not finished my review of conversation, but there appears to be inconstancies with some of his statements and the CRI web site.

There is one main issue that we are not focusing on to the degree that we should. It has to do with the testing soil. There is no oily component. That is astonishing to me. It speaks volumes. How much does one know about the industry if they make a testing soil that has no sticky stuff.

Jim I've come across a few homes with wall to wall wool berber. Any special considerations for this? Also is it a good idea to recommend it to customers? Customers ALWAYS ask what carpet I recommend, so I ask, what carpet do you recommend?
Thanks,Rob.

Lisa, I'd love to answer that question here, but its involved. I promise (I really do) to give all of you a simple, non chemists answer in the next few days.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
As Harry stated, the carpets from 20+ years ago STILL wear like iron and clean well. Today's fibers, especially the PET polyesters, look bad within 6 months. WHY? You would think fiber quality would get better as technology improves, not worse. What do you feel is behind this frustrating phenomenon?

AND WHY DON'T WE SEE MORE SOLUTION-DYED NYLONS?

Take care,
Lisa

meAt said:
Given some of the comments I've read so far regarding PH and stain resist, can we be sure that when a chem manufacture claims "stain resist approved" that it indeed does NOT damage a carpets stain resist properties?

thanks

..L.T.A.
There have been a lot of mistakes in the past. I recently heard that the SOA chemical testing program is under constant changes. This comment came from a manufacturer who has submitted several products often.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom