Interview with Shawn Forsythe 2-6-08

Mikey P

Administrator
Tell us a little about yourself, and how you ended up where you are now

A short significant bio on myself would have to begin with my education. In college, my fields of study were biochemistry and mathematics. I obtained a degree in chemistry, but excelled better in mathematics, which then I became quite undecided which career I wanted to pursue. During this time of “indecision” I took a position with a CC equipment manufacturing company called Steam Genie in late 1982. It was with this company I became a Purchasing Agent, which eventually led to myself becoming their Vice President of Purchasing. As time went on, and more and more of my time was spent on input of design of accessories, then equipment, I also took on the role of their Production & Materials Manager, which I held for two years. After a time, I found myself quite overextended and desired to change my role within the company. Since the design and testing of equipment became much more of a passion than managing people and production, I scaled back to Purchasing and R&D equipment & chemical, a position I held until I left the company in 2003. After I left, for the next two years, I worked as partner in a Restoration company and also held a paid position co-managing the Carpet & FabriCare Institute, as assistant to the Executive Director. For the previous 5-6 years I had served in a volunteer position with the CFI, first as Chapter Director, then as Secretary/Treasurer for 3 years. While at Steam Genie, I made it point to glean as much as I could by interaction with customers and my counterparts with competitors. It helped immensely to better grasp what people wanted.
While working for the restoration company, I got a call from a former co-worker who said that he was now working for a distributor, and had indicated to me that they needed someone with my background to head up their fledgling education program, as well as administer their WAN network and move them forward on their website. While at Steam Genie, I had acquired a MCSE certification and had done quite a bit of graphics design and website development, which was a hobby for me. Since that time, in 2005, I have been working at Central California Cleaning Supply in the position of Education Director and Marketing Manager.

"we know you're a pretty sharp guy when it comes to technical knowledge of chems and equipment. but have you cleaned many carpets in the real world of Ms Phiff's home where kids, pets and Husband reside??

Cleaned carpets? Outside of 25+ years equipment demonstrations, equipment trials, and testing of equipment I designed, I have not “cleaned carpet” for personal profit, if that is what you mean. I have however worked as a partner in a water damage/mold remediation firm for a short period of time after I left the employ of Steam Genie in late 2003. The main focus of my involvement in the firm was on-site supervision of setup, monitoring and clearance management. I have also worked with a few carpet cleaning companies to develop their method implementation, and done training of such implementation on site.

"What was/is the best TM ever made?
not the biggest (unless that applies), Just the best in terms of reliability, longevity and solid single wand performance?

That’s an almost impossible question to answer in so broad a context. Primarily because reasonable cost is always a factor when gauging the value, one must focus on a tighter set of compromises when one makes such a determination. In any definition of best, the individual has to first define what factors principally define their value. One cannot have optimum performance, AND reliability without a high monetary cost to create such.

One has to first answer the question, “who will be running the equipment?” Will it be a conscientious and trained individual, such as the owner? Or will it be others with varying degrees of training and responsibility over the equipment?

The short answer, is that the “best” machine has either yet to be made, but there is a long list of entries in which only one or two would fit quite nicely for each of the dozen or so types of customers to be outfitted that create, what I call “Niches”.

What was/is the worst TM ever made"

The worst Truckmounts I have seen are amongst the ones that were produced in small volume, thus never having a chance to mature the unit’s design. This is why I have always held the opinion that those who are creating their own unit, more often than not, had better consider the creation a very expensive hobby project, rather than a less costly alternative to a volume produced, tried and tested, truckmount by a major manufacturer.

Have you read the Shaw report on Encapsulation?

No, But I have heard some discussion on points made by Shaw regarding encapsulation.

If so, do you think their results have merit, or are do they have the same level of credibility as the SOA test protocols and results?

No entity has addressed the differing methods utilizing the standards necessary to properly evaluate and thus make valid conclusions in a manner in which “approval” is truly meaningful. The approach that is taken to evaluate Encapsulation is way too similar to that which is used to evaluate other methods. As well, too much political action is made to bear on adjusting the methods. That’s because the single methods proponents lobby for their own interests to preserve or create market share. And there is a lack of people involved who are both competent and truly devoid of conflict of interest. The only entities that are putting time and/or money into these projects are those with an agenda of self-interest. So far no groups have been formed to alleviate this situation. The CRI would have been much more successful had they permitted outside review and comment, before them made commitments to the entire plan. The Associations of our industry would have served better in that capacity, than having a the IICRC involved so late.

If you were to design the "Forsythe Truck Mount", what sorts of features would it have?

First of all, a well designed Stainless Steel recovery tank. One with engineered strength that would yield a lightweight tank, taking away any of the features an aluminum tank purports (but does not have in reality). A 3 cylinder Kubota engine, and a Wanner Hydracell SS pump. A dual heating system, making for fuel-oil fired heater as a “flick of a switch” option t o the HX.

How do you decide what instructors to hire at your stores when you are probably smarter than all of them?

The customers are generally the deciding factor. We utilize instructors that people want to see, and will take the time for.

Now that Nissan Engines aren't being used for some larger truck mounts, which do you like better, the General Motors or Hyundai engines?

Both are good engines. However, I prefer an engine that is easily serviced by local Distributors, and has generous parts availability. I think the GM engine has a slight edge on both counts.

What peaceful place in the world will you retreat to if the elections don't go your way this year?

Oh, it’s already too late for that. Super Tuesday decided matters in a way that mean I’ll just have to tough it out right where I am. J

With competition always being the driving force for change and innovation, do you see some of the larger manufacturers jumping in the "Big Truck" arena?

I see that just about every major manufacturer who vehemently fought off the trend for ever larger machines, with larger blowers, engines, and heating systems has ceded to the demand of the customer. There was a time, not too long ago, when the largest manufacturer in our industry stated emphatically that a 4M blower was as large as they would ever build, and that any larger was simply a temporary trend. Now we routinely see units with twice that capacity being commonplace, and the 4M as being considered rather entry-level. Just two years ago, the thought of having two manufacturers building the “big trucks” was seen as too small a niche for the two to survive. I really think that the “trend” is long term. The needs for larger units will increase as the economics of cleaning show that for certain tasks, the larger units will clean with greater efficiency. However, the larger units are=, and always will be for a sub segment, and not for every cleaner to aspire.

Do you have plans to get back into the manufacturing end again? Why or Why not?

No plans, and for now I am very happy being in the “middle”, so to speak. I find it very enjoyable to be able to be a part of all the good equipment lines out there, and am learning a great deal about matters that were previously withheld from me as part of one single organization concerned with only one product line.

With more and more homes using hard surfaces in their homes, why do you suppose we seeing some major players entering the carpet cleaning sector?

Is Jimmy Ladwig really your evil twin? or Are you his
?

Jimmy is a kindred spirit and one I hope becomes more socially involved with our groups. There are a lot of people like Jimmy that need to back away from their keyboard, and get out to industry functions. He’s one of my favorite guys, and I wish I knew him better. I would hope that we can start a Fest attendance scholarship fund in his name someday.

As director of education in the home of movies, video games, ebonics and left-wingnuts and bolt-heds what do you see as the best and the worst in the iicrc class formats and manuals. You get to talk to these graduates about the classes that they attended and presumably have some idea of how much or how little they benefitted.

The biggest complaint before a class is the length of instruction, being too long. The assumption by each student is that he/she probably knows the basics, and that they need just a few more things to be certified.

Then the biggest realization after the course is that the class is too short, and that there is so much more that is necessary to be fully functional. Those who never attend classes always complain that they can never get their customers to pay for value added services, so it’s not worth it. The truth is, the cleaner either cannot perform the service profitably, or he just does not know how to market/sell the service to the customer.

Education begets education. Those who attend worthwhile instruction come to find that there is a payoff. The key is to get your education early enough in your career, so that the issue of difficulty in breaking habits, or learning the wrong way is less of an issue. However, people have to break from human nature that causes everything from stubbornness to lack of interest. It is very rare to ever hear from someone that a class was not worthwhile. But it doesn’t always mean that they will implement all they have learned.

[/b]Do you have trouble communicating to the typical carpet cleaner, especially if you speak the same way that you write?

I think it is much less of a problem communicating to someone verbally, since there is continual feedback, and questioning that leads to more detailed explanations. I do write a bit in a textbook style, simply because I feel that writing in another manner results in much more wording than someone is able to, or wants to process in a forum format. Of course, there is some manner of insecurity, so I try to back up all my statements with references. That bothers some, and others prefer to see the reasoning. And then there are others who are outright offended, because they have another point of view anchored either in personal anecdote, or they might profit from their perspective, and not from mine.

Where do you see our industry in 5 or 10 yrs from now in the following areas?

Encapsulation will mature as a product that requires expands the cycles between restorative cleaning resets. I see chemicals cleaning solutions evolving with more simplicity for the user. Greater recognition of the absolute need for adequate training as flooring manufacturers require more professional attention. Technology moves product to greater complexity of care, as they try to make the product with competition forcing smaller margins while raw material costs rise. This means that the next generation of carpet will require more expertise to maintain the product in compliance with warranties.

Franchise vs Independents?

Both will grow and flourish, while complaining about the other’s success and forecasting their own demise.

Green or SOA impact on our industry

Another question where my point of view has evolved greatly over time. I have seen very inconsistent reaction form the rank and file regarding seeming dictates from quasi regulatory entities, and private concerns who have sought to make interventions in our methods. Now that certain deadlines have passed, I really don’t have much hope that we won’t all acquiesce to many of the rules being implemented to which we are willing subscribing to. Quite a lot of the intent is for the common good, but overly simplistic implementation is ruinous. I hope it leads to a resurgence of regional Associations. But what I fear is too many are relying on “the other guy” to carry the load.

Government and or EPA based regulation of our industry.

Government regulation will stay out of this industry, apart from Green initiatives, if we can self police with effective associations taking the lead. We have been slipping away from this, and I fear that government intervention may become an eventuality.

Trade Associations

They have a very valuable place. Most have lost their way, or in reality their working membership. Most of this is the result of apathy leading to a leadership vacuum. Associations were at their peak, when camaraderie and collective interests fed the passion. My work on the CFI showed me just how dynamic an organization of its type can be. All to often the term “dynamic” is used in a positive connotation, without the realization of the equally negative implications. Trade Associations at this time are not at their peak.

The notion of a National Association

I am very leery of a national trade association. For one, a national trade association means expense. Expense means a lot of money changing hands, with many conflicts of interest involved. I much prefer the regional paradigm, with a sort of “council of associations” governing their mutual goals. The IICRC tries to function in this capacity, and fails. I really do not like the idea of a standards body playing the role of industry liaison between associations. I have not liked the result.

That is not to say that because I am leery, that I am against it. I would have to see the proposed draft charter and bylaws of such an entity to gauge and form a conclusion. I think it can be done, but it would take the honest hearts of a select few to plant the seed, and the luck of a following afterward to make it a success.

The closest thing I have seen to a viable National Association is the work that the exploratory committee that was formed on this very bulletin board has done. Those that participated got a feel for the monumental nature of the task, if it is to be done correctly. It was found that it is best to do it right, or not at all, and that is what we all should be committed to do.

Internet bulletin boards impact

If you had asked me that question a year ago, I would have said the impact would be immense. Now that some time has passed, and we see the fervor of change mellowing a bit, as all our human natures tend to dampen passion, I see less of an impact. However, it is still very great. So many changes in the directions of individuals has been influenced by the bulletin boards. The impact can’t help but have been greater than any other single influence within this time frame. I see many people who were relatively unknown, simply by virtue of their presence and tenacity, become a driving force for change, and in most cases, for good as well.

Video/on-line training

I think it’s almost impossible to adequately teach a craft such as ours online. The Online option becomes a much greater value to teach continuing education and updates. That is not to say that online training of nearly all our disciplines will not in the too distant future, be available online. Moreover, if it can be done effectively, I will be pleasantly surprised. Q&A and interaction is so very important to the student being able to understand theory and subsequent application of the craft. I never fail to hear a new question come up at nearly every class that leads to more honing of the educational materials. That gets lost when the teaching manner is so one way.

As well, it is vitally important to have hands-on with equipment, fibers, and seeing chemistry work.

If you could assemble a "Dream Team" of five people to lead the industry in the following areas who would you choose:

1. IICRC (or other leading certifying body or association)
Brian O’ Halleck, Jim Pemberton, Jeff Lydon, Jim Smith,

2. Chemical development - Developing effective, ecologically responsible, user/consumer friendly cleaning chemicals.
Scott Warrington, Tom Forsythe, Jim Smith, Joe Domin, Clint Townsend

3. Equipment development (HWE) - powerful, efficient, reliable TM and portable equipment
Tom Fielding, Rick Aranda, Dennis Russell, Jim Roden, Shawn York

4. Equipment development (LM) - same as above, but other than HWE.
I am not qualified to answer this question with the time constraints.

5. Education - Who has the most knowledge to pass on to the industry?
Jim Pemberton, Barry Costa, Jim Smith, Dane Gregory, Carl Williams

Name
Shawn Forsythe
We'll Good evening everyone. Glad to be here. Now, please be kind, this is my first time here. Thank you, Mike for the invitation.

Mikey P

Administrator
Hey Shawn

Thanks for being here.

You missed one of the Pres questions..

What do you feel is the best type of carpet protector and why?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Mikey P said:

What do you feel is the best type of carpet protector and why?

Protectors, in general are a game of leapfrog. As technology moves forward, companies that manufacture protectors play catch-up, and pass. At this very moment in time, the best performance I have seen for general purpose residential use is Bridgepoint's Maxim Advanced. However, the testing results are not as broad ranging as I'd like to see. This why I am excited by the upcoming evaluations being done at MF.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Do you feel the difference between classical and quantum mechanics is that quantum mechanics is an intrinsically stochastical theory. In other words, probability concepts are incorporated in the very roots of the quantum theory. Even if we know everything about a quantum physical system, it is still not possible to predict with certainty the outcomes of all measurements performed on this system and what are the properties of the space that exists betweensubatomic particles, and how does it affect the particles?

In plain words Shawn...what do you feel is the basic building block of matter in the world that we know....?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Mikey P said:
In what areas, do you feel, does the typical new carpet cleaner need the most help to be successful?

They absolutely need more educational opportunities. While straight cleaning knowledge is key to performing your craft, the cleaner also needs help in the right manner to implement the proper sales of his craft. If you can't up-sell, you will never leave the ground level.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
OK..serious now...wouldn't you agree the the biggest problem facing the new cleaner jus getting into business is picking the wrong equipment?

Mikey P

Administrator
I see many people who were relatively unknown, simply by virtue of their presence and tenacity, become a driving force for change, and in most cases, for good as well

Now who were you referring to there Shawn?

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
I have met you 2 or 3 times and am amazed at your intelligence. Did that come natural or do you study alot and if so what do you study?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Mikey P said:
Please describe your average work day.

I have no average work day. But I can say there are many things I am called upon wherein it is common to nearly all days.

While my job description mainly consists of booking and managing our classes, and events, it is not something I am doing everyday. I put a few hours a week in updating our websites, and manging certain administrative tasks on our WAN of 6 distinct geographical locations.

I spend a great deal of time doing troubleshooting for our service department, and am on the phone at least a few times a day with vendors checking availability for special order parts. I do some sales of Truckmount equipment, and chemical technical explanations to customers where sales personnel feel my interaction would be appropriate.

I am at my desk for approximately 3 hours of everyday, doing everything from flyer creation, to the above mentioned tasks.

I am also doing a bit of traveling between locations for particular events. and am working on an in-house education program to be readied next year.

D

David Day

Shawn What do most carpet cleaners focus on when buying chemicals or equipment quality or cost?

David Day

Bob Foster

Shawn with your good writing skills could you see yourself working on a regular basis as a contributing author to an on-line publication?

Do you enjoy writing?

What do you think of on-line live discussion such as Club Greenhorn and its future for cleaners?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Mikey P said:
What percentage would you say of the cleaners that come through your shop will "never leave the ground level"?

I've never thought much about the actual percentages, but I'd have to say within our local demographics, it has to be close to half. However, that figure does not translate at all to other locations, even within our locations.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Hi Shawn;

In regard to your work with the service dept:

1. Do you have any problems getting warranty coverage for TM parts?

2. Do you stock a large inventory of parts for all the TMs you work on?

3. What labor rate do you currently charge on TM installs and repairs?

Larry Cobb

P.S. Tell Tony I said hi.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
bob vawter said:
OK..serious now...wouldn't you agree the the biggest problem facing the new cleaner just getting into business is picking the wrong equipment?

A great amount of the sales effort is building a trust relationship whereby I can honestly persuade the customer what product is right for him. I have no desire to oversell anything, because all customers are treated as a long term investment that will only grow if you are correct in your evaluation and judgment.

However, it doesn't always work out. And yes, Bob, your summation certainly does apply in many cases.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Jtuseo said:
How do you feel about the Ny Giants run to the Superbowl? Were you surprised?

Thank you

To be honest, I am a "Superbowl" football fan, and rarely follow the season for any team. I used to be an avid fan in my 20's, but I have not the time to follow any more sports than I have the greatest interest in.

I am however, a follower of NASCAR.

Little John

I know you can't say who is the best, but what manufacture of TMs and other equipment do you think is trying the hardest to be or become the best?

The Preacher

Sean, it was a true pleasure to meet you in Orlando a few years ago. that said, who do you see as your peer or equal in the supply/ed side of this biz!

Name
Shawn Forsythe
AdamHale said:
I have met you 2 or 3 times and am amazed at your intelligence. Did that come natural or do you study alot and if so what do you study?

I am, and always have been a nerd of the highest order. I didn't marry until I was well into my 30's. That gave me alot of time to read and play with computers. I subscribe to Scientific American, Wired, and Popular Science. I still spend a great deal of money on technology. And Yes, I am an avid Star Trek fan.

Latest posts

Latest Auctions

Back
Top Bottom