Introduction with a question

Squirrel

Name
Tammy Van Benschoten
Hello from Virginia,
My name is Tammy and I have a small cleaning business in an rural area, I have had several customers ask about carpet cleaning, there are no local cleaners in the area and I want to start offering the service.
I will be limited to a portable unit and was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent unit to get started?
There are several used units on craigslist that I want to look at, but not sure where to start.

My husband found this site and we have both been reading and laughing and learning!

Tammy

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
there are no local cleaners in the area

if no carpet cleaners are servicing the area, that means one thing....there's no carpet

I will be limited to a portable unit and was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent unit to get started?

how much can you budget for machine and tools?

are you doing mostly residential cleaning , or commercial/janitorial stuff??

.L.T.A.

steve_64

If it's just you doing it get something light that you can carry. Maybe something like a rug Doctor or even rent one and try it at home just to get started.

Good luck. But we will need more info to be more help.

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
I am one of the porty guys. I use the 500psi heated prospector from jon Don with 25 feet hose and aw29 want and tm3 crb. More than enough to boost your cleaning business revenue. I use it for a lot of thing, urine extraction, upholstery cleaning , and carpet cleaning. Just make sure ya got 2 stage 3 vac parallel for better CFM. Heated or not is a choice and A preference. Need more distance, get a air hog to help it out.

It definitely not a tm but it works great for all around cleaning business. Does clean well in commercial environment. With practice , you'll be golden.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Welcome!

I am not sure if you have a distributor close by but I would also suggest contacting a company such as Jondon www.jondon.com because I have seen great start up packages offered as well as support.

Also, purchasing a certain amount of equipment and product, they offer their "Strategies for Success" at no expense which is another great program that can help you with your cleaning industry.

There have (and will be more) helpful comments here as well.

I wish you the best and hope we can help share some information that will help you with decisions to success as well :)

Squirrel

Name
Tammy Van Benschoten
Thank you for the feedback, in our research there is 1 company about 30 miles away and then it goes to 50 miles plus for the next cleaner.
Looking primarily at residential carpet cleaning.
I was considering the Bissell big green to get started, but if I invest a little more can I deliver a better job quicker.
The budget is under 3k
There are several Mytee units on CL such as this.
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/hvo/d/mytee-1001hv-carpet-cleaning/6588298990.html
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/hvo/d/mytee-1001hv-carpet-cleaning/6588298990.html

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
You want to think about how you are going to load the machine into your vehicle and how are you going to get up and down stairs.

Name
Steve Lawrence
Welcome, Tammy!

If using a portable you may want to look into a CRB to help precondition the carpets so your cleaning will be much more effective. We like the 10" for residential and the 20" for commercial.

Of course CRB's work great with truck mounts, too, so when you grow into a TM you will still have a great tool you will continue to use.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I was considering the Bissell big green to get started

:hopeless::hopeless::hopeless:

oh buh-rother ...er... I mean, oh sister
If you want to be a professional, don't buy a plastic Walmart POS

The budget is under 3k

for $2000 you can buy a new professional porty that will serve your needs for now
another few hundred will get another 25ft of hose/solution line and an upl tool

couple hundred more gets you a used 175rpm rotary to pre-scrub or encRap bonnet clean commercial glue down (CGD) carpets in commercial establishments

all of it will fit in a minivan if you remove the center bench or rear seat .
If you're driving an '05 Accord, Camry, or Cobalt ...forget about carpet cleaning

.L.T.A.

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Nomad74

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Get an OP machine or better yet HOST sponges. Light weight and easy to use.

Portable work is difficult work with often mediocre results. It takes a lot of effort to get good results. Often at the cost of productivity and profitability.

EBay always has Host machines for sale. Buy used and see if there is a market for the services before investing too much into it.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
With carpet cleaning...if you don't dedicate and invest enough time and money into training and equipment, you'll regret getting into it.

Keep in mind the Pie Chart in carpet cleaning. It's very important
-Time
-Agitation
-Chemical Action
-Temperature

With low quality equipment, Temperature and Chemical Action are neglected the most. And if all 4 of those actions aren't properly applied, you'll hate cleaning carpet because you won't get the results you want, or worse, you'll get callbacks from customers.

Reactions: Pioneer Floorcare

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Get an OP machine

they should of threw you out of the buggy in Scottsdale

or maybe they did??
, and you bumped your hED.....

images

..L.T.A.

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Get an OP machine or better yet HOST sponges. Light weight and easy to use.

Portable work is difficult work with often mediocre results. It takes a lot of effort to get good results. Often at the cost of productivity and profitability.

EBay always has Host machines for sale. Buy used and see if there is a market for the services before investing too much into it.
Medicore?! Maybe you produce mediocre result with ya porty...:winky:

Not me.

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Then you're working hard to get better results....or you're delusional. :winky:
I'm a believer of working smart with what I got too... :smile:

-Time
-Agitation
-Chemical Action
-Temperature

By the time I graduate to TM, I will produce amazing result...Thanks to your guys help, of course.

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Matt Ross
I use a porty and an OP machine because I dont do carpet as my main income. I'm in a similar boat. I dont have any good carpet cleaning companies close by, and my janitorial accounts want it done regularly. So for me I got a sandia 300psi heated portable with hoses, chems, and even extension cords off craigslist for 1400. It had been used 3 times. I joined some forums, learned a bunch, and now I make good money doing carpets as an add on. It keeps my customers happy and makes me decent money at the same time. I do mostly use my vibe on commercial now. Much faster.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Obviously a stronger machine can out produce a weaker machine in a given period of time.

But production and quality of product are not the same. A portable can yield very high qualify work, but it takes a lot more time if that work involves extraction.

Reactions: Kenny Hayes
Name
Swani
Hello from Virginia,
My name is Tammy and I have a small cleaning business in an rural area, I have had several customers ask about carpet cleaning, there are no local cleaners in the area and I want to start offering the service.
There are several used units on craigslist that I want to look at, but not sure where to start.

My husband found this site and we have both been reading and laughing and learning!

Tammy
Hi Tammy! When I first started I bought a US Products Solus 310. I bought it used and paid around $1200 For it. It has a heater on it but many people recommend buying one without a heater because the power to run it can take away from the vacuum. My unit runs 2 power cords and has a indicator on it so I know I'm not using the same circuit to cut down on tripping breakers. The biggest game changer for me when I used a portable was mechanical agitation. I bought a 175 RPM floor machine with a brush head and a pad driver with blue and red pads. Dry strokes are also your best friend with a portable and post bonnet to help dry. Interlink Supply carries the US Products brand but I believe they have merged with another company @Scott W can probably fill you in on that. Feel free to reach out with any other questions. Carpet cleaners have their own set of lingo that can be confusing at first.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom