Is Dyeing worth doing?

carpetsmart

Who has the best quick start, all inclusive Dyeing kit/video training? That is, if a good one exists.

carpetsmart

Now these replies are deep! I am so thankful for the people who put their time and intense professional advice here for us others bask in the radiance of your greatness. Obviously not people who still need drugs. The old ones were surley a lifetime investment. But seriously dudes... Anyone got a suggestion?

harryhides

Name
Tony
Tom, two suggestions -
Use the search feature and try phrases like "color repair" or "carpet dyeing".
Check out the Tool Box Room.

Farenheit251

Tom are you asking about spot dyeing or changing the color of the carpet? Whole area dyeing is mostly only done in apartments. I used to do whole area dyeing but 90% of the residential calls are from cheap people who are looking for a cure all to make a ruined carpet look new for a ridiculously low price.
I had some success dyeing rental houses with the stipulation that I chose which ones were good candidates. That soon changed to property managers choosing based on financial need which led to bad results and losing a $20,000 a year acct. There is good reason why you don't see many providing whole area dyeing. Less complicated ways to make a buck.

carpetsmart

I was considering spot dying. Wondering why no one seems to mess with it. I have installed carper for over 30 years abd have offered professional patching so far. No one seems to want to mess with that either. Thanks for your input.

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
easy money.. always a market for it .....if you aint done it before ...spend a few hrs on a 4'x4' bit of rug make a few bleach stains and start to blend them back ...get yourself a color(colour) wheel at an art shop it should help you when
starting out.... and away you gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Liquid spot dye systems can work fine if the user has a good eye for color. I don't. When working with my wife who had a good eye for color, we used a kit from Bridgepoint that I think was put together by Ernie David at Americolor.

When I had to work alone, I prefered the kit a company up in Wisconsin. (Having a senior moment and can't remember the company or their dye guy right now.) This sytem was more complex but helped me got the color closer with my slight color blindness.

We do sell a kit now with a nice instruction booklet. But this is not the same kit I used years ago.

Scott Warrington

M

Mark Imbesi

Yes, Willy, I still use Roper. Easiest system I have found. Just 3 primary colors!

As for Steve Mathie? I haven't heard from him since our first go round. He is not affiliated w/Roper and is a real person. He wasn't me or Greg. I still may have a copy of his drivers license he emailed me. LOL! Ah, the good ole' dayz!

Ernie G

Marc, thanks for the tip on the spot-dye system. Is it as easy as it sounds,and is it very accurate.

M

Mark Imbesi

Eric,

This is my first attempt at bleach stain repair and I was lucky to have stains in my own home! LOL! This took 1/2 hour. Not bad and they say green is very difficult. Started with neutralizing the bleach, then added BLUE, then YELLOW. That easy. Good Luck!

BleachBeforeCM.jpg

BleachAfterCM.jpg

harryhides

Name
Tony
Sorry Marc but Gray is the most difficult.

You coulda done that job in about 5 minutes but you are a stubborn old-fashioned coot.
:mrgreen:

Shawn Abbey

Name
Shawn Abbey
We use simply the three primary colors from HydroForce:

Red
Blue
Yellow

and mix them accordingly. Yes, this is mostly for rental properties, BUT talk about a great training ground!! We're getting better. In fact, my guys are getting better than me!

I would start a simple kit with the three primary colors, with some PH stabilizer, Bleach Neutralizer, and a good Dye set. Then, when you start getting better and more confident, you can evolve into a kit or system.

If you're still looking for a system or kit to buy, I'd stay away from powder dyes and stick with the liquid dyes.

My $.02

Shawn

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom