Is your commitment to service exemplary?

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
"Your commitment to service is exemplary."

This is from an email from a client where there was an issue. We applied a specialty Fabric Protector to their white cotton couch and then someone with new blue jeans sat on it and there was dye crocking. Our warranty didn't cover this type of dye transfer (it does now) but it didn't state that on their documents. We attempted to clean off the dye and it was greatly improved, but not all removed. He asked that we pay to have the cushion recovered ($450), and we agreed. They went away on vacation and I followed up to see when they wanted us to do it send them a check or pay the company directly.

They replied "We have had some time to think and while the sofa isn't perfect we think we can live with it. We recognize you are operating a small business and really want to build a good relationship with you. As a result, perhaps we can agree some sort of credit against future upholstery protection or cleaning. We hope business is good and you are finding time to enjoy the summer." We replied that we'd be happy to handle it however they wanted. Either re-upholster or give them a credit for future work. They decided on the credit...."Thanks Meg. Your commitment to service is exemplary. A credit would be great thanks."

How do you handle a situation when things didn't' meet your clients expectations? What do you do to preserve the relationship and leave them feeling that your commitment to service is exemplary?

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
That price leads to false expectations im afraid

Our 'warranty" paperwork didn't say this was not covered, and didn't say that it was.

We discussed in great length this with Jim Bardwell after it occurred to make sure we exhausted all the options to remove it. We were more than willing to pay to have it re-upholstered as we didn't have anything about crocking clearly stated. Typically FP is presented to our clients on the notion that liquids can't penetrate to stain. We didn't discuss crocking as it never came up. Now it has so Live and learn. Now it's part of our "exclusions". We felt it was our responsibility to make good in what ever way the client wanted since we didn't do our due diligence it documenting the limitations of the product. Bottom line, the client thinks we handled it "exemplary" so we are happy

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
Our 'warranty" paperwork didn't say this was not covered, and didn't say that it was.
This higher level of Fabric Protection is new to me so this post is helpful in understanding what we can do and what we can't do. Is there a document/warranty supplied by FPA that let's us know what we can promise or can't?
Seems like you handled this as well as you could under the circumstances.

MR CLEAN

Name
MR CLEAN
Was this a sofa you charged $500 to protect?

That price leads to false expectations im afraid
Price does not matter to this clientele. It's the service and quality and security they want. Unfortunately I was not aware of the crocking issue until it became one.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Warranties that offer unrealistic notion of protection are a numbers game. Fiber seal etc.
It may (likely) be financially beneficial to the one that offers them: How much money you make versus how many claims are made (as said- a numbers game.)

IMHO, It has nothing to do with commitment to service and or being exemplary. Just profit versus expenses. If you'll find them to be a money loss, I have little doubt you'll stop offering them.

MR CLEAN

Name
MR CLEAN
Warranties that offer unrealistic notion of protection are a numbers game. Fiber seal etc.
It may (likely) be financially beneficial to the one that offers them: How much money you make versus how many claims are made (as said- a numbers game.)

IMHO, It has nothing to do with commitment to service and or being exemplary. Just profit versus expenses. If you'll find them to be a money loss, I have little doubt you'll stop offering them.
After this situation with the client we have made changes to our warranty because of the crocking issue with FP. If I was having repetitive callbacks and having to correct or give money back or whatever to the client we would fix the issue and or stop offering that as a service. This is the first one I've had for decades at least .

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Mikey P

Administrator
I had a conversation with a a lady at a furniture store today, her store has been sending us a good amount of FPA work. She said here last store used Guardian, which she herself had applied on her own sofa and was impressed with how it worked

I didn't have the heart to tell her that Guardian is airguard..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom