Notice It's been a while.....

Discussion in 'the CleAn Room' started by PrimaDonna, Nov 2, 2016.

By PrimaDonna on Nov 2, 2016 at 12:48 PM
  1. PrimaDonna
    PrimaDonna

Meggers

Name:
    MB
    But just had that "call" with a client that now feels our prices are too high. He calculated our hourly average for the scope of work and determined it's more than a doctor or lawyer.

His invoice is almost two months old. Lots of calls and text back and forth trying to collect. Offered credit card, payment options etc. Never once did he say he had an issue with the price in all these communications. Only telling me he has been busy, working on bills now and it will go out, yadda yadda. Almost two months of friendly emails, texts and calls. Today, I told him if we didn't see some payment by the end of the week, I'd have to file in court. (We require payment at the time of service, but this was an old high school acquaintance so we went to do the work when he wasn't there, which is not something we do with a first time customer, but we knew the guy. See what happens when we don't stick to protocol!).

As always, I put it back on the customer and ask what would you like. I've found that typically they ask for less then I might do and it gives them a sense of control. I was floored by his response.

He is a custom builder/woodworker and wants to know our hourly rate. His on site labor rate is $55 an hour shop rate is $65 per hour and he wants to pay us his shop rate, per man, for the two and a half hours we were at his house to clean upholstery and carpets. The bill was a bit over $1200.00 and we gave him a break. He wants to only pay $65 per hour, per man so about $325.00. This is after he agreed to the price on the phone when we called him with the total. I explained we don't charge by the hour, but for the job/piece areas. Which he verbally agreed to, and didn't have any issues with paying until now. I asked him why it's taken him two months to have the discussion regarding price and why it wasn't done right away? Why is this the first he brought it up....? He said it was "uncomfortable" and that he didn't want to cause an issue.

He claims he wasn't felling well the day we went out, he was busy with work and he didn't realize what the total was. I put it back on him that it was his responsibility to speak up at that time and say he needed time to think about it and thanks for the estimate (no charge by the way) and he could have waited to have the work done or get other quotes. He agreed, but still kept going back to what we were making by the hour and that he felt "bamboozeld". Buyers remorse....

It was getting tense and he just couldn't get past the "hourly rate" thing. I ended the call saying I'd think about it and get back to him.

He's convinced he would win in court saying that verbal authorization doesn't hold up (I have texts telling him we'd call him to review the scope of work and price when we got out there, to which he replied "ok", so he knew it was going to go down this way). As a contractor, he said we are breaking the law by not having provided a written contract for the work and giving him the mandated 72 hour window to cancel. We are not contractors and don't have to abide by that law. He also has questioned the fact that we charged sales tax as he doesn't in his business. I sent him a link from the state that outlined which services are required to collect sales tax and told him if he had further questions, to contact his CPA or accountant. I don't make the tax laws, just follow them.

So, now we deal with the hassle of letting this play out legally or writing this off. We are willing work with the guy, but not $325.00 for a $1200 job!

Comments

Discussion in 'the CleAn Room' started by PrimaDonna, Nov 2, 2016.

1. MR CLEAN
      MR CLEAN

Name:
      MR CLEAN
      The devastator makes it so you don't have to dri stroke we do it anyway force of habit. We Do pretreat is well and spot clean inch by inch I don't know where you got that from the vacuuming is the only thing I haven't had to to becase It dun for us. We will be adding pre vacuuming to our cleaning steps .
    2. hogjowl
      hogjowl

@

Name:
      Marty Sutley
    3. Willy P
      Willy P

Name:
      Willy P
      :headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch:
    4. dealtimeman
      dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.

Name:
      Michael
      :headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch:
    5. MR CLEAN
      MR CLEAN

Name:
      MR CLEAN
      :headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::rockon: I love this I can't wait to do it more :winky:
    6. Willy P
      Willy P

Name:
      Willy P

We're wondering when the English translation was going to be published.

:headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch::headscratch:
    7. Lee Stockwell
      Lee Stockwell

FOJL

Name:
      Lee Stockwell
      At the bottom of page 3 it said "266 more messages"

...I'll maybe read this in February if I'm snowed in.
      dealtimeman, Mark Saiger and hogjowl like this.
    8. MR CLEAN
      MR CLEAN

Name:
      MR CLEAN
      Get a devastator wand. Saiger one pretreatment. CRB. Don't vacuum at all. Watch the magic happen oh double your pricing now
      Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    9. Mikey P
      Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
      Mike Pay-oh-tay

Did you get your Shark yet?

John you use paint strainers in your inline filter, right?

And remind me, do you have a rotary extractor?
    10. Mikey P
      Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
      Mike Pay-oh-tay
      And when do you bring Brian along with you?
    11. MR CLEAN
      MR CLEAN

Name:
      MR CLEAN
      I'm looking into the shark now what was that model number again? We do have A Dyson Ball . I always use the paint strainers with the devastator filter it turns out to be around $.75 to a dollar a bag when you buy them in bulk and will last you all day when rinsing them down.
    12. MR CLEAN
      MR CLEAN

Name:
      MR CLEAN
      Brian is the lead tech on every job. We work like a well oil machine together our nicknames are steak and sizzle ( given to us by a client )and we have a new tech who is now special sauce . The perfect trifecta .
      Mikey P likes this.
    13. hogjowl
      hogjowl

@

Name:
      Marty Sutley
      I have a Shark ROTATOR. As far as I know, it's the only one that TRULY lifts away to get under beds.
    14. Greg Cole
      Greg Cole

Name:
      Greg
      I know I'm late to the party. The burden of proof is on you. Offer to settle for 50 cents on the dollar and move on with your life. Legally you will have to employ an attorney or spend hours of your time pretending to be one. You have a 50/50 shot of winning.... In the future be sure to document any negotiation in writing and consider this a 500-$800 lesson in business...
      if you had the documentation you could sue and be awarded attorney fees....
      Or just go lien the house..... You might get paid some day....
      Personally I'd take what I can salvage NOW and move on... $800 isn't worth the time.....
      Matt Wood likes this.
    15. Mikey P
      Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
      Mike Pay-oh-tay
    16. dealtimeman
      dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.

Name:
      Michael
      So he really doesn't vacuum?

Does even own a vacuum?

For the amount of money he charges, he could hire a maid service to come out at the right before he arrives and vacuum for him thoroughly.

How many more pages are we going to have to go thru on this???
      Matt Wood likes this.
    17. Mikey P
      Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
      Mike Pay-oh-tay
      until he confesses his sins to a local catholic priest?
      Desk Jockey and Matt Wood like this.
    18. hogjowl
      hogjowl

@

Name:
      Marty Sutley
      Aren't all of you people Jwits
      Desk Jockey likes this.
    19. Matt Wood
      Matt Wood

Name:
      matt wood
      I'm sorry you haven't used a royal yet. Plus, why are you wasting time getting under beds? The less beds you go under, the more jobs you can do in a day. Where's your efficiency, lol?
      Desk Jockey likes this.
    20. hogjowl
      hogjowl

@

Name:
      Marty Sutley
      I own one Royal and two Kirbys
      Matt Wood likes this.