Lets talk hiring and training.

Mikey P

Administrator
We much prefer the (mild) winter where we can take the time to talk theory and let the new guy do some work slowly. For us its far easier when we have two jobs a day vs 4 or 5.
Our process is one that we feel it takes a person 6 or more months to be at the point where we would let them go clean a section 8 by themselves, so a nice head start in December or January is a plus.
VERY fortunately, we are set for a while with our current team of 4. Knock on wood, they're all Tofu Fed dynamos and not schleps who wake up at 3:30 ini the afternoon like those Minnetonka tards.

Our Craigslist ad.

NO experience is a must.

We are a high end service company and dont want bad habits learned from past employment with other cleaning companies.

We are looking to fill a full time position to clean carpet, tile/stone and upholstery five days a week.
We're looking to start training this position asap
Customer service/interaction experience needed.
Big smiles and a people pleaser are what we need
Must be able to lift 75 pounds.
Will train in all aspects of carpet, upholstery, tile and stone cleaning, identification, sealing and repair.

Excellent driving record is a must
Drug screening plus future random screening.
Criminal background check.

Benefits and vacation pay.

Clean cut is a crucial
Familiar with driving a diesel cab over truck is a plus..
Office is in Aptos, most work is in Santa Cruz County. A few days a month spent in the San Jose or Monterey area.
8AM starting time, usually done by 5/6pm. Occasional late days ti'll 8PM
Being a seasonal service, hours will range from 20 to 50 a week.
MUST HAVE RELIABLE TRANSPORTATION to get to work on time.
$15 per hour to start and wages increase as your responsibility grows.

Please email your resume

No phone calls

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Not any better than anyone else.

We are very lenient. We ask a lot of our guys with odd ball times and weekend and evening work so we are willing to be very understanding but some guys just don't care to physically work. Lots of them start out with "I need a job" but they really want to get paid but not work. We have a saying "if you can't work here you can't work anywhere". Many can't work anywhere!

We had a great crew in the summer with 4 college kids. Sharp and worked hard, but they all went back to school. Lost two other young guys that moved out of state last month. One to the military one to a school in Utah. Its a constant struggle but fortunately the core guys have been here for decades.

The faces constantly change but the service expectations always remain the same. :cool:

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
As a qualified applicant looks at that, he or she may say, I can t live on $250 a week (20 hours-taxes) . NEXT

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
Id leave out the no experience .. some may say they dont have cause they want the job.

Good High Gene a must.

Wait til the interview before stating the decline of hours due to the season.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
I’d put something in to the effect of “highly coachable” and “desiring to learn a skilled trade.” Maybe “person seeking long term employment” and flexible hours” and “detail oriented and very conscientious”.

If they don’t know those big words, then have ‘em call Marty.

steve_64

You can't tell if someone is willing to really work until they are in the feild for a few weeks. People will lie and tell you what they think you want to hear just to get a job.

I'd be happy with a hard working half wit if he could get here on time and not smell. Do what I show him and not gawk the customers daughter's.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Not any better than anyone else.

We are very lenient. We ask a lot of our guys with odd ball times and weekend and evening work so we are willing to be very understanding but some guys just don't care to physically work. Lots of them start out with "I need a job" but they really want to get paid but not work. We have a saying "if you can't work here you can't work anywhere". Many can't work anywhere!

We had a great crew in the summer with 4 college kids. Sharp and worked hard, but they all went back to school. Lost two other young guys that moved out of state last month. One to the military one to a school in Utah. Its a constant struggle but fortunately the core guys have been here for decades.

The faces constantly change but the service expectations always remain the same. :cool:
“I need a job, but they reall want to get paid not to work”! That Tribe is legion!!

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Diana fired one yesterday. Out of the clear blue he texted and said he wasn’t coming in cause he wanted to go hear his dad’s band play. #whatthehell

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
@The Great Oz when was the last time you hired a new guy?
Ten days ago. Background of going to work as a customer service guy and quickly becoming the store manager. All past employers want him back, all jobs left because they piled responsibilities on him and tried to get away with keeping him at $12 an hour. We'll pay him better, but I know he's going into business for himself someday. I just hope we can get a couple years out of him before he moves up and out.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Ten days ago. Background of going to work as a customer service guy and quickly becoming the store manager. All past employers want him back, all jobs left because they piled responsibilities on him and tried to get away with keeping him at $12 an hour. We'll pay him better, but I know he's going into business for himself someday. I just hope we can get a couple years out of him before he moves up and out.

One of the hardest lessons for an employer to learn is not to punish success.

Poor performers get accommodated and coddled, and peak performers are saddled with more work with nothing more than a compliment (if that) in return.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.

Poor performers get accommodated and coddled, and peak performers are saddled with more work with nothing more than a compliment (if that) in return.
That's why I left that carpet cleaning business I was working at when I was just 18. I was well trained to his standards, and he had me alone (strike one) on all the jobs, even the huge office carpet jobs and late night truck stop jobs. Then it was time to get a raise, and the pay went from 8.00 to $8.25/hr (strike2). I left that job and worked at an auto parts store for the same pay before I went to drop out of college, lol.

My point is...He could've kept me on board allot longer if he had paid me what I was worth. I would've been happy with just $10/hr. It was the late 90's and that pay was decent for a kid.

steve_64

Jim, this is so true. I've had several jobs where they would take my production numbers and give that work to others to keep them at 100% I was still usually way over 100% but I was never paid any better than those who got my work given to them.
This happened at most places I worked production.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Well, you saw my post probably about doing all the furniture and cleaning by myself yesterday....

But yes, it's been more difficult to find help again.

Have had people that didn't work out again but we are going to keep looking

One guy didnt' even show for an interview and left me hanging.

Other guy showed up and tried cleaning with us and thought maybe a chance...then no return text or call for about a week before asking for more work....

Guy we hired here because his mom was former student of mine and her kid (20 years old) needed a job after leaving his fast food manager job (or fired)....has been late 7 times in 3 weeks....

Twice he as like gone all day before sending us a message he over slept. (yesterday the text came in at 3:48 pm)

So....we are still looking for the right person with some personality...enough spunk to want to work but not think they will own the business in a year (yeah...had an interview with starving artist who had the attitude...and how many pay raises a year question)

If Austin decides to come back from Minneapolis, we would take him back at this time...and I have offered him and let him know job available yet if he comes back...because...we have heard he did not get his job in Minneapolis and still not work for him down there....

I won't be giving up but also, will be looking....

Employees....one of the most important to help you....and if you want any freedom to enjoy your business, you eventually have to trust the right people to do that for you....

Training people in the winter is actually more difficult we are finding up here...and with the cold weather procedures, not easy at all....Spring and Summer actually better for us we are finding....because COLD SUCKS!

2017-12-30 08.44.34.jpg
2017-12-30 08.36.59.jpg

Reactions: Mikey P

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Mark, your story reminds me of when I was a kid working on a concrete crew on a EPA Superfund site. I was very green and not all hardened like the rest of the crew. My youth and naivety annoyed them. They took one of the chemical warning stickers and stuck it on my hard-hat. The sticker was labeled "Irritant". So from that day on my nickname was Irritant. I hated that! It made me try a little harder.

Maybe you should nickname this new employee "Sleepy" until he gets the hang of it.

q23_irritant.gif

Last edited:

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Mark, your story reminds me of when I was a kid working on a concrete crew on a EPA Superfund site. I was very green and not all hardened like the rest of the crew. My youth and naivety annoyed them. They took one of the chemical warning stickers and stuck it on my hard-hat. The sticker was labeled "Irritant". So from that day on my nickname was Irritant. I hated that! It made me try a little harder.

Maybe you should nickname this new employee "Sleepy" until he gets the hang of it.

q23_irritant.gif

We call him "Gone" now...

Let him know Friday night at 7:38 pm as soon as was done and finally sitting in my van before leaving the job

Letting him know before next week I am then not responsible to pay him for a free vacation day on New Years day

Back
Top Bottom