lets talk Parents..

Mikey P

Administrator
I spent my day moving my 77 year old, diabetic, incontinent, bi polar, manic depressive and over weight mother from an Assisted Care facility to a full fledged, $7100 a month Nursing Home.

It got real ugly initially today as her position in life is all my fault :oldrolleyes: but in the end the new place is awesome and I'm hoping her insulin gets balanced (she was not self administrating properly, or at all) and her incontinent and UTI issues get cleared up. Lots of activities and a very friendly staff along with some forced exercise will hopefully turn things around..

Now my Dad on the other hand, despite losing half a lung to cancer 3 years back and living with prostrate cancer is a real go get 'em champ and kicking ass in Texas. Exercises every day at the gym, walks his dog, eats well, goes to church often and lives on his own ans in his late 80's..

I'm oh so glad I have some of his genes in me..

who wants to share where they are with their parents?

Last edited:

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Well mine are not that old yet (65) Mom is healthy as a horse, Dad was a Bad Ass military man but had 2 bouts with rheumatic fever while in the military which damaged his heart valves. Long story short the VA jacked up his heart valve replacement surgery and he is lucky to be alive now. 5 guys had the same procedure done and 4 died except him.

Reactions: Mikey P

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Worked daily with my father for nearly forty years, lost him to prostate cancer a couple of years ago and i don't think I've been quite that same since.

My mother is 83-years old has a little trouble walking now and then but she works at it and is doing quite well for her age. House is full of grandkids and others that keep her busy and run her around.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
My father died in 1993 from prostate cancer at age 66. Never had spent a night in a hospital in his life. I have to be tested every 6 months and have high psa numbers. My mother after giving birth to 13 children and adopting 2 more has over 50 grandkids and 25 great grandkids. She is 84 and is off on a trip to Branson MO with her sister and a few of my sisters. She is the ultimate socialite, most of it spent in church functions. Still attends daily mass but had to give up riding her bike last year.

She is an amazing lady but like us misses her husband everyday but realizes he is in a great place.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Dad will be 50 next year. Has always worked, 26 years as a welder, company buy out from a competitor and three years later everyone was canned, and able to be re-hired through a temp service. He would have taken a 12 dollar an hour pay cut doing that and made more on unemployment. He rode out unemployment, and went to truck driving school and now does that. I have no worries for him besides hes stubborn with his health, and positive he should be on some type blood pressure meds. Smart with finances, always has had a nest egg, lives well below his means. My mom on the other hand is the one I worry about. Shes 43 and still hasn't quite figured out life. Enough said there, shes also stubborn concerning her health.

I look like my dad, and so does my son. As I'm getting older I learn I'm more and more like my dad.

Reactions: KevinL and Mikey P

Jay D

Name
Jay D
Mikes dad IS a great man and a go getter. :rockon: I got to clean for him a couple times and would consider him one of my best customers. My parents passed in 2011, Mom had demensia and dad was in realtively good health. they were both at home until mom started falling and my dad could no longer pick her up(bad shoulder). She went to a nursing home and dad would go see her everyday and take her a Vanilla shake. She loved those shakes. She passed away and my dad 80 days later passed away in a hospital after a bout with krons disease weakened him. Doing the right thing with your folks is sometimes the hardest they to do. See them as often as you can. I was scheduled to go see my dad but he passed away 2 weeks before that day and I kick myself for not going to see him sooner.:( I miss them both everyday.

Mikey P

Administrator
Thanks for saying that Jay.

he thinks the world of you and your fine service as well.

He moved to Mansfield earlier this year so now you should have two homes to clean as my nephew still lives in the Arlington home.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Joan lost her mother Sat...she made the first nite at the nursing home OK.... but then died at 8:30 in the morning........
Joan had a "feeling"....and rushed there and had about 15 min with her mom before she passed!
Funeral is today......she was 94 years old.........

she's lost a son (Shaun) and now her mother...in three months now!

Last edited:

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
My dad was 54 when he passed away my mom is 60 and doing quite well.. she is visiting with us right now from europe. Basically spends her time visiting all her kids through out the world. Have a large family and I have siblings in Australia Germany Austria Hungary England and USA.

Last edited:

steve_64

lost dad to his heart 8 years ago, he was 63. the year before mom had a triple bypass and 3 stents but pulled through great, shes 72 now.
lost my brother 2 years after dad and a year after my heart surgery and skin cancer.
older brother lives with mom, hes had both hips replaced and has a couple serious health issues. moms got 2 new hips and a knee. i guess you could say they lean on each other. well, until they actually need something then i get the call.

i have my ex and two girls and thats it for the immediate family. brothers never married or had kids. no other family like cousins nearby. nearest other relative is about 500 miles away.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
MY mother died from ruptured aorta at 83. She was active in her volunteer work right up to the day she died. Played softball, sat in on music jams with younger folks. She was often called Winchester's oldest teenager.

After Mom passed, Dad moved into an apartment connected to our home. He was also active until he had a stroke, also at 83. Survived 6 days after the stroke.

Both had expressed they did not want to end up with some infirmity that left them bed-ridden or with limited activity. I'm glad neither had to end up with lingering illness.

F

FB7777

absolutely worshipped and adored my mother, lost her in 2004... she ran the office for me and taught me the most intrinsic fundamentals of sound money management and frugality.

Talk with my dad and see him at least once a week , he's 76 and stopped working parttime for me last year... the guy helped me and supported me throughout my life and I'll always be there for him no matter what he needs

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Dad got throat cancer last year...it was so bad they had to do a tracheotomy because the mass was so big it almost choked him to death...after that healed some..they ended up completely removing his voice box.......as he was healing from that his left shoulder started hurting him real bad so he went in to get it checked and it was a cancer mass that was so larger it fractured the bone......he went threw 6 weeks of radiation treatments to shrink it and was supposed to get a few kimo treatments...but when they did the scan to figure out the levels...they found stage 4 cancer in his liver.......it has been nothing but a down hill battle from this point....I do everything I can to get over there every evening after I am done working to make sure he is eating and his stoma is cleaned....it is just a matter of time before the cancer will finally win....

as for my mom...she has had many medical issues all her life...major heart problems when I lived in Oklahoma....part of her heart does not even work...she has some type of device planted in here chest and wire leads that come out so that when she goes in they can shock it and/or monitor it more closely.....she has not been of very sound mind for quite some time...she can't hardly take care of what her needs are let alone my dads.......

they lost there home of 30 some odd years..due to a large amount of medical bills...moved them into a few rentals...but they were both foreclosed out from under them..finally me and Tia just bought them there own little place...where they could be more comfortable knowing that they would not have to move again....once dad goes..I guess mom has no plans of staying there...what she is going to want to do I really don't know...and really..I don't think she does either........

Becker

Name
Becker
The other side of the coin of being rendered by teen parents. They are still young an vibrant.

OK, not really, but it would be cool..

Mikey P

Administrator
absolutely worshipped and adored my mother, lost her in 2004... she ran the office for me and taught me the most intrinsic fundamentals of sound money management and frugality.

Talk with my dad and see him at least once a week , he's 76 and stopped working parttime for me last year... the guy helped me and supported me throughout my life and I'll always be there for him no matter what he needs

too cool Fred

Mom answered your phones, what did Dad do?

Mikey P

Administrator
I talk to my Pops every week if not more but I have not seen him in over two years.

He has no idea that I am going to show up on his door step 3 days before Xmas.

I suspect some tears will be shed

most likely from me when his f'n overly protective Shar Pei dog clamps down on my leg

F

FB7777

Mike,

In the early years, my dad helped on late night carpet cleaning jobs when he wasn't working his full time job at a warehouse

The last ten years, he covered some JanSan accounts and covered my phone and emergency stuff when I was on vacation... in other words, he has allowed me to have piece of mind and enjoy life.

That's awesome that you will see your dad 3 days before Xmas ... our dad's don't ask for much but deserve more than we can possibly ever give

Reactions: Hoody and Mikey P

Connor

Name
Connor
I had a falling out with my Dad in 96 and quit working for him, a couple of weeks later he came to my job and told me that he had cancer and that he needed me to come back to work for him, he said there was a lump on his foot and they were going to cut his leg off right under the knee in order to keep it from spreading. I told him to make up another story, as that's the story that happened to my sister's husband in 84. He got mad and left. He didn't have cancer.
A while later I wound up working for him again and again we had a falling out and I quit again in 1997, this time for good. A couple of weeks later, he told me that he had cancer........same story.....he's still alive and fine. We haven't spoken in a couple of years.

Last December, my aunt called me and told me that my mom, 71, had a stroke at a gas station last December and that she was taken to the hospital. So I went to the hospital to see her and she wasn't herself and it did indeed appear to be stroke. Turned out it was a UTI and that in people her age, it can cause dementia and stroke like symptoms. As the day went on, she got a little bit better, in fact, well enough to cuss me out "for not checking her out of the hospital and taking her home".

A couple of days later, the doctor called me and told me that they wanted to keep her for another day, but couldn't without family consent, and hers, and wanted me "to talk to her", I said "sure, but it won't do any good". I heard him open a door and she was yelling and cursing at someone, the doctor said "Mrs. Connor, your son is on the phone, would you talk to him..." My mother yelled, "Eff him, I don't have a son, that Son of a B... wouldn't take ME home and left ME in this hospital....." I said, "Sorry, Doc, you're SOL" The doctor said "I am so sorry, Mr. Connor, her behavior isn't right, that's why we want to keep her". I said "Doc, she's acted that way as long as I have been alive, that's normal for her."

After she was released, I returned her truck keys to her and she didn't say a word to me and I didn't say a word to her. That's the last time we spoke. Before that it may have been a year or so.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom