Limestone?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I don't do much Tile and Grout...not as much as I would like anyway.

Some one called me out to Seal limestone? Is it possible and how do you do it?
I know I can seal the grout with the sealer I have but he wants the whole floor done.

Not sure it's limestone...kinda looked like Travertine...only because I have seen what I know is travertine before. Hell they could be the same thing for all I know.

Signed,
Not even at amature level tile cleaning. :mrgreen:

Anyone?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
This is the floor

th_zfloor1.jpg

th_zfloor.jpg

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Almost any stone can be sealed, including limestone. It may actually be easier than sealing grout only. The sealer is simply applied to the entire floor.

This can be done with a lambs wool type tool, a terry cloth cover on a schmop, a strip washer such as used to clean windows or other methods. Personally, I like to use a clean Moss rubber squeegee. (The rubber has air cells like a sponge.)

A white pad on a rotary machine can be used as the seal is drying to even it out. Apply two or more coats depending on how porous the stone is.

Hydroforce Premium Grout & Stone Sealer or Stonetech's Heavy Duty Sealer are both good products for stone.

Scott Warrington

Mikey P

Administrator
Either stone should be sealed with a Well Formulated solvent based product.

Tell your customer that the more they spend the longer it will last.
DON'T use the junk from Home Depot.

Spray it down with a 01 tip and work it in with a Lambs Wool Applicator (a piece of wool stretched over a wood block on a poll. Keep the floor wet for 20 minutes to a half hour. If it sucks right in apply more. Before it dries buff off the excess with a absorbent bonnet under your 175 or your shoe if its a small bathroom.
Sweep the floor real well before using any rotary type equipment.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I have some stonetechs heavy duty sealer although it is a water based I believe.
With Solvent based does it have to be dry for a period of time?

I think they want a gloss of some sort..is that possible...I read a post on here about enhancers?

Mikey P

Administrator
Stone Techs' HD should ONLY be used on white grout.

it causes unsightly grout haze on anything colored most of the time.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
ok,
What would you use on other colored grout?

Did you guys see the pics? Can you tell what the floor is?

Mikey P

Administrator
Looks like Limestone to me but the pics are small and it's hard to tell a filled Travertine from a limestone over the Web.

Doesn't much matter but expect most Travertines to adsorb less sealer then a Limestone.

I use Drytreat and Cobbs .

BIG price difference between the two.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Cool thanks

This guy has 1300 sqft of the stuff.
We'll see what happens.

It's from one of my post card mailers...by the way.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
If they want a shine then you'll need a topical not an impregnator. I'd tell the homeowner that a topical would just be a maintenance hassle due to that it will wear and needs to be reapplied.

Cobbs?.
Have you done granite shower walls with it Mike?. Does it smell, my guy doesn't want a smell but I think you mentioned once it's not too bad. How long does it linger for?.

Albert

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Brian Robison said:
I have some stonetechs heavy duty sealer although it is a water based I believe.
With Solvent based does it have to be dry for a period of time?

I think they want a gloss of some sort..is that possible...I read a post on here about enhancers?

Enhancers will give a "wet look" but not really a shine. A higher gloss or shine should come from polishing not from a topical coating. Try to discourage them from selecting a topical coating.

To use a solvent sealer, the floor should be very dry. Depending on conditions, this may need to be a couple of days after cleaning.

I agree that the StoneTech Heavy Duty may haze on some floors. On the plus side, it is very durable for light colored grout. If the grout is not white, stick with the HF Premium Grout & Stone sealer.

Scott Warrington

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Cool,
I think I may have landed another one Today.

Believe it or not, I am competing with a Chem-Dry. I didn't know they did tile and grout but I guess it figures.

Gary T

Looks like limestone, but hard to tell from the pics. Is it polished? Here's the deal with sealing stone. Most polished stone will not take a sealer. You can get yourself into quite a mess trying to do so. The sealer, water or solvent based, simply won't penetrate and will sit on the surface. This can cause quite a mess and prove difficult to remedy.

A quick test: Make a small puddle of water on the surface. Let stand for about 15-20 min. Wipe dry. If the stone is darker where the puddle was, it will take a sealer. If not, LEAVE IT BE. Not all stone needs to be sealed, nor can it be sealed, especially polished stone.

When you do seal, solvent based is the best. Less haze issues. Floor must be dry. Buffing may be necessary. Follow instructions to the letter.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Yup ok got it.

It didn't look like the stone would take sealer because it was kinda glossy looking already.
I wanted to tell the guy that but didn't know how to put it.

So polished stone won't take a sealer...and I understand how to test.
I realize that the grout should be sealed.

Thanks, that help a butt load.

Gary T

Some polished stone will take a sealer. Which one's? I don't pretend to know because there is so much different stone out there, stone which is called granite or marble by the dealers, but it is not. Just test and you should be ok. There aren't many hard and fast rules when dealing with stone as each is different.

Gary T

I was trained by MB several years ago. I believe he was about the best in the business. I bought the book for reference, to brush up on what I may have forgotten, and for any new info it may contain. I am not dissapointed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom