Linoleum cleaning

Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Lyman
I have been getting asked alot lately to clean linoleum kitchens. I have been using my freeky brush and prespray and wand. The only thing bad is the floor when it dries looks dull. My apartment guys are happy. What should I use on these floors?

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Be REALLY careful around the seams. Most apartments tend to put in cheap vinyl floor that gets a coat of "seam sealer" that unless properly applied wears out fast. A few of the folks here use Ultrachem products, they work well. A dry bright finish eliminated the need for burnishing and leaves a good gloss. You'll need to learn a few more steps to strip the floor first. I'm sure others will chime in with different suggestions on different products. Floorguy Doug knows his stuff pretty good.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
depends on the floor... I use to clean my lino with just cobbs, and a spinner, and never looked dull...

but yes i have seen some that can get dull.....

applying finish can get tricky on these, cuz as Willy said...they are cheap, and then you have build up issues....

maybe get a lighter grit brush??

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
I read an article just last week on a product that could be used to make Lino shine and this week we have been busier than crap (actually probably just adjusting from the winter) and so help me I can't remember where I read it!

hogjowl

Idiot™
Willy's post may have been a bit confusing for anyone who is not used to readng his Canadian, backwoods logic.

What he meant to say was:

Be careful around the seams when cleaningn vinyl floors. Most installers don't seal the seams the way they are supposed to so water may penetrate them seam and cause it to fail.

Most apartments have a cheap vinyl floor installed that has a thin factory shine on it. This finish is easily removed with normal cleaning solutions and heat. So it looks dull because the actual finish has been removed. This does not harm the floor, but it does leave it looking dull.

You can correct this with any topical finish you want.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
if you are doing some sheet vinyl. I just mix a little oxy blaster apply with a mop and rinse it off with the gecko wand

maybe the tile was dull to begin with

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Be careful not to use too high of a PSI on it. You CAN blast a hole right though it.... and it sucks to have to replace.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
I have always used a quart of Mr. Clean in a 2 gallon pump up, spray it down, then extract/rinse with the wand and plain water. has always worked fine for me. Sometimes I use a green scrungee pad for stubborn stuff, but truthfully Mr. Clean usually gets it....and it smells great too.

Take care,
Lisa

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom