Lisa W. I am thinking about going all in with a rug shop.

Re: Lisa W. I am thinking about going all in with a rug sho

"Of course that's if you're just using rugs as a vehicle to get where you want, if you really love rugs and enjoy cleaning them, then more power to you, you're a better man than I."

That's the plan Richard. I am really not worried about rugs. I just want a place to work out of, a place to get tons of exposure, and motivation to work harder. I'm ready to do the thing.

Commercial carpet and tile cleaning, residential work, and yes any increase in rugs will be my focus. There is constant traffic in a good location. I have already made my mind up to do it. If I leave with 500 more good customers, then it will be worth it.

I really like the area, and want to establish more business relations with all the realtors, businesses, and anyone that can give me steady repeat work. This just makes me more credible. It gives me a competitve advantage that others simply will not have. What about corner signs. Those don't work unless you actually have a real business that people see on a routine basis. Like Lisa said, sometimes you just have to go for it. When I started my carpet business I had no clue what I was doing, but I learned fast. I remember trying to operate a 175 in a lady's home and I did not lock it into place. :shock: That thing was whipping me all over the place, but I got paid and moved on.

I look at this as an investment into my future earnings not current, but I am confindent we can break past the 25k monthly gross barrier (maybe more) if I work hard. I'm ready.

I get it finally. You have to work hard and invest in yourself. Hardwork should be rewarded not punished. I can't tell you how much I am against all this spread the wealth stuff. I may be a poster for what hard work can do in a few years.

Thanks for the advice and help.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

It sounds like mentally you're prepared, for the commitment, and it will require a commitment. Then I'd say if you can swing the numbers I'd go for it.

It will make you more legitimate in many customers eyes, and that will help. I wouldn't be as concerned with the long term contract as I would the penalty for breaking it.

Having a great location could be money in the bank, if people actually see you. If they are flying by at 70mph then it may not be as good as it may seem.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley

Chavez what is my biggest complaint when I talk to you about work I HAVE to do.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

Rugs, you're always too busy to do them. When you do, it takes up all day and a lot of space. :mrgreen:

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney

Rugs?! its all this damn carpet in my shop that takes up all the space... I'm glad my dad doesn't read this! :mrgreen:

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley

it looks like easy money but man it sucks, it is a job

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney

Ahhh the rugs only suck when you have turn the 12 x 18's over to wash the front..by yourself! :shock: I lifted plenty of heavy carpetrolls.. and done lots of weight training.. but that one takes the cake and brings perfect definition to wet noodle!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

Easy there Sweeney we're talking about cleaning, leave your wet noodle outa this! :p

Rugs are only lucrative if your last name is Snow or Burns or Wagner or Hyde.

They ain't gotta do the heavy tote'n theirowndamnself, well maybe Randy does, but he charges for it.

For the rest of us, they is hardass work and while the margin maybe be there it ain't no picnic.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley

I make a ton of money off rugs but it isn't easy money and it is a pain in the ass, cleaning, wrapping scoring , sending out for fringe, worse part of my week, that is why we make money that isn't easy

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner

Ford Fairlane said:
Easy there Sweeney we're talking about cleaning, leave your wet noodle outa this! :p

They ain't gotta do the heavy tote'n theirowndamnself, well maybe Randy does, but he charges for it.

For the rest of us, they is hardass work and while the margin maybe be there it ain't no picnic.

Richard, you have no idea how many times I've said what you've said here - but a little differently. Even in my report I put out there, I said if you do not REALLY LIKE rugs and doing the work, there are other niches with nice margins that might attract you more. If you need to take it in and subcontract it to a plant if you don't get ga-ga about rugs. It is not for everyone. And all these emails about money falling from the sky - INSANE PROFITS! - is total BS for most. They don't have the mindset for it, because many are pushed into it because they need the cash flow and they see $4 per sq ft and think "easy" money.

Easy money is a state of mind. When you enjoy what you do, are the best at it, and get paid well for it - THAT is easy money. But no craft is easy work.

Rugs are very lucrative if you have the right positioning and systems. Not everyone has the chops to do it right. But not everyone has the chops to run any business right... whether it's rugs or carpet or tile or restoration.

Pick something you love, be the very best at it, and with the right capabilities you can make big money in any field you choose. A lot of people don't have the perseverance to aim for that. They think the go to a class, buy a Vortez/Badger/whatever, and think - and tomorrow money will roll in. So you have lots of people in this industry that run their business half-ass, and wonder why they aren't more successful.

It's because successful people do the stuff unsuccessful people won't. Amateurs make excuses, and professionals do it with a headache.

No short cuts here - you need a foundation. The right operations systems, marketing systems, team & training systems, and a culture of always thinking about how to do it "better."

Guess that's my long way of saying I agree with you Chavez. :mrgreen:

Lisa

joe harper

Name
joe harper

LisaWagnerCRS said:
Ford Fairlane said:

Richard, you have no idea how many times I've said what you've said here - but a little differently. Even in my report I put out there, I said if you do not REALLY LIKE rugs and doing the work, there are other niches with nice margins that might attract you more. If you need to take it in and subcontract it to a plant if you don't get ga-ga about rugs. It is not for everyone. And all these emails about money falling from the sky - INSANE PROFITS! - is total BS for most. They don't have the mindset for it, because many are pushed into it because they need the cash flow and they see $4 per sq ft and think "easy" money.

Easy money is a state of mind. When you enjoy what you do, are the best at it, and get paid well for it - THAT is easy money. But no craft is easy work.

Rugs are very lucrative if you have the right positioning and systems. Not everyone has the chops to do it right. But not everyone has the chops to run any business right... whether it's rugs or carpet or tile or restoration.

Pick something you love, be the very best at it, and with the right capabilities you can make big money in any field you choose. A lot of people don't have the perseverance to aim for that. They think the go to a class, buy a Vortez/Badger/whatever, and think - and tomorrow money will roll in. So you have lots of people in this industry that run their business half-ass, and wonder why they aren't more successful.

It's because successful people do the stuff unsuccessful people won't. Amateurs make excuses, and professionals do it with a headache.

No short cuts here - you need a foundation. The right operations systems, marketing systems, team & training systems, and a culture of always thinking about how to do it "better."

Lisa

I thought you were going to talk about SWEENEY's...Wet nOOdle... :shock:

"Richard, you have no idea how many times I've said what you've said here"
{Easy there Sweeney we're talking about leaving your wet noodle outa this! :p}

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney

HARPER said:
LisaWagnerCRS said:
Ford Fairlane said:

Lisa

I thought you were going to talk about SWEENEY's...Wet nOOdle... :shock:

"Richard, you have no idea how many times I've said what you've said here"
{Easy there Sweeney we're talking about leaving your wet noodle outa this! :p}

Ok... forget I ever said wet noodle! :mrgreen:

wet%2Bnoodles.jpg

F

FB7777

I'm totally in agreement with Chavez... but if you have a passion for rugs and not view them as another add-on like me then go for it.

IMO you are make some extremely broad assumptions with your marketing and location expectations initially.

You'll need a fulltimer to man the shop,clean, set up deliveries , if you're concerned about how you are going to fund your advertising of the shop, how are you going to pay for the help?

Not trying to bust your balls Daniel, I love your enthusiam and enjoyed listening to your ideas in Nashville, I think a shop outside the home for you is a good fit no matter what direction you decide to focus on.

Good luck man!

Fred I completely agree with you. I like to dream but I am also realistic. We did three jobs yesterday for just under 1300.

Those are the kind of numbers and jobs I like doing. MY focus first and foremost has to be residential and selective commerical cleaning. I know I am the best cleaning service in town. I just need to get the word out. Now I can do post cards, tv commercials, radio, SEO campaigns, but those are all cluttered with hack cleaning operations. I know what you are thinking. This is just another retail space. Not true. If and when I get this space, you will see how it all fits together. A space two blocks away just simply would not work. Loaction is everything. I can market my business for less than a couple thousand dollars and reach millions of people throughout the course of a year. Trust me this is going to work.

Rugs will not be my focus. You are dead on right that I do not have the captial (actually I do, but I don't want to be cash poor) to get the necessary equipment and personel to do rugs full time. I can do that latter. I will use the space simply for the exposure and to have a place to work from.

Now why can't I just market and forget the space? The reason is because I want to be known in the area as the premier cleaning service. This will be the fastest way for me to get there. In three months I will be able to accomplish what it would have taken years. I am not talking about people driving by and seeing a sign, but a combination of things that will all work together. In all fairness you can ask anyone in my area if they know who I am and they will likely say no. I have a small but loyal client base. I need more exposure. The internet is just not for me. I need to be different that the hundreds of other cleaners.

I can't wait to see how all this works out. I am ready to invest in my business, work hard, learn, and do whatever is necessary to be the best.

joe harper

Name
joe harper

OK...danny boy... 8)

But before we go any further....
Can we at least get a PIC of this location....?

F

FB7777

I like that you are renting initially, you should still push for an out after 12 months jusr in case.

Its just my humble opinion, but I believe commercial real estate in most markets is going to be considerable less expensive in a few years...

if it works out well, you'll be in a good position to search for a more permanent location ( or buy the one you'll be in )

Ron K

Daniel Good Luck. I was going to say all this stuff about Ballard and Berthod CO or a Drug Store in San Diego and ask how Mikey liked Rug Cleaning and how if you wanted to try it you should try vacuuming a room for an hour and then clean it with cold water and neutral ph and then do it again.

Update:

The leasing company said a three year lease was the lowest they would go. I typed up a sales letter for the owners with my business plan. That, my credit, and assets made them agree to do an 18 month lease.

There are no drains in the shop floor. I have a friend that is a good plumber (slow but good) that can do the drains and even the concrete if needed. We might get help to frame everything. I will save a couple thouand on this.

They agreed to paint the interior, install new carpet and ceiling tiles, and do the short term lease.

Once I got that part done, I started talking with local businesses to make sure I could use them to help promote the business. I contacted some key clients that are good referral sources and ran my plan by them and they are on board to promote my services at their churches and businesses. Plus I have around a thousand good clients I can market to.

I will still need signage, banners, and other items to get going. We do not have to stay open all day. At first I would use the shop as a place to work from and not have to clean several thousand dollar rugs at home. That is not professional at all. I do tell all my customers that I work from home. They don't care as long as I do a good job and I do.

I have to be smart on this. Currently there are four owners in the building. The rent is a thousand per month, but they want the tennant to pay taxes and insurance. I want to offer them one lump sum payment of 19k for an 18 month lease with the option to buy. The sales price has to be justifiable. I can't see myself working hard to build a business only to have my rent raised when the business takes off so to speak. There are several large rug cleaning outfits. If I play my cards right, I could get a buyout offer down the road. If not, then hopefully I can use the rug cleaning towards owning the commercial space. It just makes more sense owning than renting.

Like I said there are four investors that are only making 250 per month when the building is leased and no repairs are needed. I would think they would be happy to sell. I could be wrong.

I do know I am very happy where I currently am at. I am not going to do any deal unless it makes sense. I made my mind up from the beginning that I will get everything I want at a bargain price or I will walk.

I know and they know my business plan is the best one available. The space is not good for most businesses.

I will submit my offer next week. I have had time to think about this. I just want to break even and not lose money on this deal. I would like to make money no doubt, but I am really trying to gain more residential work and be different that everyone else. Not very many cleaners have a good work space that is in a high visible location. I think it will make me more credible. If anything we should be able to stay booked out on a permanent basis.

I own just about all the tools I need, have the money to do the deal, and have the systems in place.

I hope everything works out. I am not going to be stuck with a longterm inflated lease. That is not going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom