Mainenance on aluminum waste tank for \ CDS

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
Hi,
I have a 1999 CDS Machine that I want to keep running as long as possible. So I did a search on cleaning the waste tank and I could not find much. Some people said they never clean it others said they drop chlorine pellets into it which would make aluminum corrode, right?
Anyway , I looked at my tank today and it wasn't pretty. There was a film of green sludge all the way up to where the rubber seal for the lid is. The lid is also looking like it is corroding. and the paint on it is peeling off.
The tray that holds the blower filter inside the waste tank is also very gunky and there are odd looking small amber colored chunks in it. That happened before when I first got the machine and I don't know what they are and where they come from.
Could those hurt the blower if they got sucked into it.
What is the best way to keep an older tank like mine from falling apart?
Is there a paint for the lid that would hold up?
Does my 11.5 ph prespray have any negative effect on the tank?
Would it be a good idea to let the truck sit with a full tank and enzyme solution in it?
I'm prespraying with Esteam Attack.
Or is there something better i can do?

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy

Hey Dave,
I did something like it already, but I'm not sure if what I did was the correct way.
I bought a sacrificial anode piece in a marine supply store. Basically a big chunk of zinc. I attached a wire to it and ran that wire to a bolt inside the tank. That anode piece is sittling at the bottom of the tank and it's looking pretty bad so I'm thinking it works, but maybe there is a better way.
That site you sent me to doesn't tell you anything, it just lists the different rods that they have.
Can you explain how to set a system like that up correctly?
Thanks

JR Harvey

Name
JR Harvey
Yes Chlorine will corrode the metal. I've been in the business for 25 years and always clean my tank out with straight Clorox bleach. I do it about twice a week. As long as you rinse it there is no problem with corrosion to the aluminum. The key is just rinse it well. No odor at all. Here and there I get inside with a garden hose and hose out the best I can as well. I've tried everything else under the sun with no success.

Hope that helps!
I also know numerous additional cleaners that pretty much do the same thing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom